Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Splutterig At Low Revs.

trevnhil

Hi All.

I have tried doing a search for this because I think it has been on before, but I cannot find anything. I am not a DIY man so it will have to go to the garage sooner or later.

I have a 1999 5 speed Rav 4 and it has developed a stuttering at low revs. The acceleration has perfectly good response in all gears, but only above about 2,300 revs.

If I am below that figure when I accelerate in any gear it has a regular spluttering or stuttering. If I change down and accelerate from above 2,300 revs it is fine, or I can coax it with gentle acceleration until higher revs.

Any Ideas as to what it may be and is it a big job to have cured.

Regards. Trev..

I'd start with the obvious stuff like plugs then leads. They can break down under load and give the symptoms you describe. If it proves to be more serious you can take it into hospital :thumbsup:

Thank you very much for the advice anchorman.

Also check all 4 ignition coils at the end of each high tension lead is allowing/passing current fully to each spark plug. Do you get a smell of unburnt fuel during these episodes?

If you need a wee inline spark plug tester, shout and I'll pick you up one at Halfraud's over here.....cost only 3 weeks bed, breakfst and golf on Cyprus. :eek:

Big Kev. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the added input Kev. No there is no unburnt fuel. I think I will take it to the garage, as my DIY skill on engines are worse than ZERO. I have stripped threads before now. I was a joiner with hammer and saw, not a spanner man. It has to have an MOT soon so I will nurse it up till then and if the MOT needs some work I can have it all seen to at the same time.

Re the B and B. You will be welcome any time at all. We live at 52A.... The rest you will have to find yourself, Ha ha.

Cheers. Trev..

Ya bad person, Trev....ma bag was half packed then, and forgot to say was bringing Anchorman to sort yer car out....he could have slept outside at no charge....yer too late noo.

Big Kev. B)

Excuse me :censor: If I'm going to sleep outside I'll bally well pay my way:thumbsup:

A digression, I know. But a number of people are sleeping outside here as it is too damned hot inside at the moment.

Thanks all for the input. I will post when I get the answer in case it helps others.

Cheers. Trev..

But a number of people are sleeping outside here as it is too damned hot inside at the moment.

Cheers. Trev..

Trev,

If it makes you feel any better, you would need a duffle coat to sleep outside here at the moment.

BTW, as long as we have covered the nuts and bolts, we like digressions!!!

But a number of people are sleeping outside here as it is too damned hot inside at the moment.

Cheers. Trev..

Trev,

If it makes you feel any better, you would need a duffle coat to sleep outside here at the moment.

BTW, as long as we have covered the nuts and bolts, we like digressions!!!

Hi.

My 1st post.

Had my 1998 Freesport a couple of weeks now and had the same problem.

Changed the plugs which helped and then today the fuel filter was changed.

That has sorted it completely.

Garage said it looked like it had not been off for years.

Toyota service history for you.

77000 miles.

£37 was a bit pricey I thought but it fixed it so I won't moan.

Dave.

Hi Dave. Thanks for relating your experience. I am no good at DIY on cars engines so I decided to take it to the Toyota garage last Monday morning. There was a note on the door to say that they are on holiday for a week, so I will try again next week

There is no change in the symptoms, or maybe just a little worse. I have only had the car since April but it has Full Toyota service history. It had new plugs fitted in January this year. I am not sure if my logic is correct but I would not have guessed at the fuel filter because surely it uses more fuel in Higher revs, and it is at lower revs where I have the problem.

Cheers. Trev..

Have you tried fuel system cleaner in the fuel tank?

Has worked for me in the past.

With regards to my fuel filter, I smelt petrol this morning so took it back to garage.

They changed it for another Fram filter but both were faulty.

The thread doesn't go deep enough so it cant be tightened enough.

Awaiting a genuine Toyota filter.

So back using my original for the weekend!

Dave.

Hi All.

Well today I took my Rav 4 to the Toyota garage here in Paphos, to see if they could cure the engine faltering below 2,500 revs in any gear. They gave me a loan car for the day with the instruction to replace the fuel I would use. They also said that THEY would ring me when it was ready. I had not heard from them by 4-30pm, so I rang them. The man said that they had just finished it and I could collect it at any time.

I have just brought the car back home and it is running very sweetly now, no faltering or stuttering at all. I was expecting a big bill having read about the cost of various sensors etc in the UK.

Here are the charges....

Diagnostic tool usage. €23-00 inc VAT.

New wire coil. €11-50 inc VAT.

Total cost.... €34-50 inc VAT.

They said to pay them €34-00 and that would be fine. This would be the same as UK£28-50

Note there is no separate labour charge at all.

I am well pleased. Trev..

Hi All.

Well today I took my Rav 4 to the Toyota garage here in Paphos, to see if they could cure the engine faltering below 2,500 revs in any gear. They gave me a loan car for the day with the instruction to replace the fuel I would use. They also said that THEY would ring me when it was ready. I had not heard from them by 4-30pm, so I rang them. The man said that they had just finished it and I could collect it at any time.

I have just brought the car back home and it is running very sweetly now, no faltering or stuttering at all. I was expecting a big bill having read about the cost of various sensors etc in the UK.

Here are the charges....

They said to pay them €34-00 and that would be fine. This would be the same as UK£28-50

Looks like you got a result there Trev.

Get the garage to open a branch in the UK please!

Been to Paphos many a time (was in the RAF)

Wish I was there now.

Dave.

Hi All.

Here are the charges....

TREV...."NEW WIRE COIL"......does that mean my diagonal nosis was correct, that one of your HT Coils had chucked it?

Think it's only fair now, that you comp[lete your address for Scottish visitationment....?

Big Kev :thumbsup:

Good result Trev. There is a low tension lead from the distributor to the coil which sounds like it was duff.

BK - I told you if you want to have some time in the tropics you can stay in my shed for 30 Euro a night. You just can't please some folk.

Good result Trev. There is a low tension lead from the distributor to the coil which sounds like it was duff.

BK - I told you if you want to have some time in the tropics you can stay in my shed for 30 Euro a night. You just can't please some folk.

Bloomin' cheek calling that a shed....ma hoose is timber framed, and only half as strong as your shed....and as for tropical, I am just back from playing golf down in Slurrey....wettest summer for 40 years arrapently.

Big Wet :censor:

Well it sounds like you were both right with the leads info. So... If you both find your way here we can do a very reasonable B+B. A bit above Paphos, in Kallepeia. I was certainly pleased with the financial outcome.

Now I only have to worry about it getting through the Bi Annual MOT in a week or two.

By the way talking of Sheds and timber built houses..... We have just recently started to have a timber built bungalow constructed.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/trevnhil/TrevNHilSCyprusBungalow?feat=directlink#

If you save to favourites, pics are added at least once or twice a week.

Thanks for all your advice.

Trev..

It has to be over engineered in case the water rises :thumbsup:

If it get that high it'll make a good ARK :thumbsup:

Well it sounds like you were both right with the leads info. So... If you both find your way here we can do a very reasonable B+B. A bit above Paphos, in Kallepeia. I was certainly pleased with the financial outcome.

Now I only have to worry about it getting through the Bi Annual MOT in a week or two.

By the way talking of Sheds and timber built houses..... We have just recently started to have a timber built bungalow constructed.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/trevnhil/TrevNHilSCyprusBungalow?feat=directlink#

If you save to favourites, pics are added at least once or twice a week.

Thanks for all your advice.

Trev..

"Hello...room service?"...."Yes Sir..."...."I want to speak to you about my roof"...."Yes sir?"....."Can I have one?"

Call that a bungalow, Trev?.....I've stayed in smaller hotels, man !!!!

Contact Local Hero when the walls are up.....he'll do your decorating.

Big Kev :lol:

Ha ha that made me smile. It's not the first offer for the decorating contract. But we have an all in price.... Don't ask how much.... Too much, certainly dearer than the Rav 4 repairs.

Thanks all. Trev..

• 2 weeks later...

Well here is even more good news.

I took my 11 year old Rav 4 for it's MOT this week, and it passed all the tests with no problems. This is the first time I have been to a testing station in Cyprus and I thought that they would not be very sophisticated.

But they are all computerised and up to date, with the automatic printout of the exhaust emissions. The tester even said that I had got a good car.

The cost was €34 which a little over UK£28 and they print out a certificate for you to keep in your car.

Unlike the UK they only test cars every two years here. I will certainly continue to use the local Toyota garage here, as they are the ones to have serviced it from new.

Trev.. in 30c sunshine.

The cost was €34 which a little over UK£28 and they print out a certificate for you to keep in your car.

Don't tell the authorities Trev, they will make it annual and double your fees :lol: Well Europe is in a mess, expect to be fleeced a tad over the next few years!

Kingo :thumbsup: