Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil Consumption

moondog

Auris 1.6 T Spirit petrol, March 2008, 18,000 miles

First noticed my Auris was using oil last April.Mentioned this to the Toyota Dealer. His reply "this is normal, modern engines use oil".

It is using approx 1 litre per month. Thought this can't be right so I took it back to the dealer yesterday and I have to take it back after 600 miles so they can see how much oil has been used.

How much oil if any is your 1.6 petrol Auris using?

Another problem I have is with sqealing brakes. It was in the dealers 3 times in April for this problem. The squeal has come back. The dealer has told me that brakes are no longer covered by warranty. If I need confirmation of this ring Toyotas customer services.

What is Toyota's warranty worth?

I was told years ago by the Toyota service manager not to be too gentle during running in as oil glazing of cylinder walls is a big problem and causes uneven bedding in of rings.

I have the 1.33 Auris and that appears not to use any oil at all although only done 5K in it.

You'll just have to see what they say.

The noisy brakes problem has been metioned many times on here, with dealers doing various mods. That issue seems fixed on the "facelifted" Auris, so again you'll have to push your dealer and ask and see what the official line is when their "fixes" haven't worked. If you have no luck calmly ask the dealer for the contact details of Toyota customer care... which may be enough to swing them into action... if not complain.

• 3 weeks later...

Auris 1.6 T Spirit petrol, March 2008, 18,000 miles

First noticed my Auris was using oil last April.Mentioned this to the Toyota Dealer. His reply "this is normal, modern engines use oil".

It is using approx 1 litre per month. Thought this can't be right so I took it back to the dealer yesterday and I have to take it back after 600 miles so they can see how much oil has been used.

How much oil if any is your 1.6 petrol Auris using?

Another problem I have is with sqealing brakes. It was in the dealers 3 times in April for this problem. The squeal has come back. The dealer has told me that brakes are no longer covered by warranty. If I need confirmation of this ring Toyotas customer services.

What is Toyota's warranty worth?

I was told by my local dealer to drive my Auris for 1000miles and report back for an oil level check - its burning 0.6L per 10000miles but dealer told me this is normal for a VVTi (1.6 petrol) !! They would only consider it a problem if it burns more than 1L oil/1000miles. My last VVTi was a 1.6 Corolla and never needed a drop between services, even after 7years / 65000miles. Methinks there's a problem with the engine design but the dealer will have non of it. My car only has 20K on the clock - what state will the engine be in at 40K ?? :eek:

I was told by my local dealer to drive my Auris for 1000miles and report back for an oil level check - its burning 0.6L per 10000miles but dealer told me this is normal for a VVTi (1.6 petrol) !! They would only consider it a problem if it burns more than 1L oil/1000miles. My last VVTi was a 1.6 Corolla and never needed a drop between services, even after 7years / 65000miles. Methinks there's a problem with the engine design but the dealer will have non of it. My car only has 20K on the clock - what state will the engine be in at 40K ?? :eek:

I think burning oil is a trait of modern engines. A friend has a VM Golf which came with a little bottle of oil when he bought it!

Update on the oil consumption test

1 week after the start of the 600 mile oil consumption test I checked the oil levels after the car had been stood overnight. The level was about 6mm OVER the maximum mark. I thought they are never going to believe this so I took a photo of the level on the dipstick. I did a further 2 dips and photographed these. All 3 dips where 6mm OVER the maximum level( I wonder what the level was 1 week earlier). The level I dipped just before returning to Toyota was 4mm below maximum. I showed the service department the photos and they completely dismissed the photos saying this was impossible as they have measured dispensers which dispense exact amounts of oil. They said what I was seeing was oil smearing up the dipstick. So are they saying that after 3 seperate dips all reading the same that it smears exactly the same amount on each dip? He then went on to say that the dipstick is hard to read and that their Tenchnicians do it every day and know how to do it. I would understand his smearing theory if the oil had been dipped shortly after the engine had stopped but not after it had been stopped over night. I think it will have to be a letter to the dealership head or am I wasting my time.

I agree with you Carlas. They know there is a problem with the engine but are keeping very quiet about it.

Update on the oil consumption test

1 week after the start of the 600 mile oil consumption test I checked the oil levels after the car had been stood overnight. The level was about 6mm OVER the maximum mark. I thought they are never going to believe this so I took a photo of the level on the dipstick. I did a further 2 dips and photographed these. All 3 dips where 6mm OVER the maximum level( I wonder what the level was 1 week earlier). The level I dipped just before returning to Toyota was 4mm below maximum. I showed the service department the photos and they completely dismissed the photos saying this was impossible as they have measured dispensers which dispense exact amounts of oil. They said what I was seeing was oil smearing up the dipstick. So are they saying that after 3 seperate dips all reading the same that it smears exactly the same amount on each dip? He then went on to say that the dipstick is hard to read and that their Tenchnicians do it every day and know how to do it. I would understand his smearing theory if the oil had been dipped shortly after the engine had stopped but not after it had been stopped over night. I think it will have to be a letter to the dealership head or am I wasting my time.

I agree with you Carlas. They know there is a problem with the engine but are keeping very quiet about it.