Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Head Gasket Or Crack

boilerman

Hi

Help again please. My 03 d4d with 65k and worth about £5000 has either head gasket or crack with combution products bubbling into water.

What do I do ??

1. Can't trade it in as garage will see problem and give me bugger all.

2. Fix it, could spend a grand or so in a garage, and it could turn out to be a cracked head !! then what do I do ?

3. Bung it through the car auctions and sell it 'as seen'

4. have a go myself at fixing it, but am told its a nightmare.

Option 3 seems best so far.

mike

A lot depends on your situation. If you are up for changing it for a new or nearly new, mosts garages won't be too bothered even if it has a declared fault.

Even if you end up footing a grand for repairs its unlikely that you could change for less.

The question is, do you fancy a new car??

Hi Anchorman

I'd love a new, or newer car, just short of 5-10 grand !!! What do you mean 'its unlikely that you could change for less' If I did it, i'd only need a set of gaskets or so, assuming the heads OK.

I think the big problem is if I end up with it all in bits only to find a cracked head.......Then what.

Hi Anchorman

I'd love a new, or newer car, just short of 5-10 grand !!! What do you mean 'its unlikely that you could change for less' If I did it, i'd only need a set of gaskets or so, assuming the heads OK.

I think the big problem is if I end up with it all in bits only to find a cracked head.......Then what.

bit of a dilemna.... if in bits then you need a new cyl head then you're stuck with having to get one.

You could try torching it but oily burning engines are less likely to spontaneously combust. Driving along in busy traffic and slamming on the brakes on a clear road with a white van man behind you could pay off if you don't kill him (well they are all men ?).

I'd guess the auction devotees would suss out a smelly rat. Having a go at stripping the engine might be a runner depending on what you know and who you know in the trade to help.

Like Bothy says - you have to get one. You could try phoning a few engine repairers or findapart who will search the breakers. I would pull it to bits and see what's what.

Hi Again

From talking to a few engineers who have done the job, most turn out to be 'cracked head'

So, its off to the Auctions with it, empty the header tank (no sign of bubbles then) glue down the filler cap to stop nosey joe taking it of, buff it up and hope for a sale.

mike

will let you know what I get.

Hi Again

From talking to a few engineers who have done the job, most turn out to be 'cracked head'

So, its off to the Auctions with it, empty the header tank (no sign of bubbles then) glue down the filler cap to stop nosey joe taking it of, buff it up and hope for a sale.

mike

will let you know what I get.

Before you go putting it through auction + getting rock bottom price why not try THIS I know nothing about it, I am certainly NOT endorsing it. but if it does the trick your quids in + if it only improves things :unsure: It may allow you to sell it for a better price or

part-ex it.. :thumbsup: Stew...PS read the testimonials on the above product :yes:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links