Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help And Advice Xt5 Petrol Auto Nov 2006

davidisom

Hi all, I am going to be picking up our 1st Rav 4 on Tuesday. It is XT5 2.0 Petrol Auto 1st in Cadmium Green 1st Regsisterd Nov 2006.

My main question relates to being able to add a reverse camera. Along with some others as well. I have spent some time researching both the forums here and rav4 world as well as the web in general. From what I can gather I am hoping the following may be true.

1. The 4.3 XT5 is prewired for camera but not fitted ?

2. That the ones on eBay see link below will fit in place of currnet number plate lights under spear wheel?.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-RAV4-Car-Mirror-Rear-View-Reversing-Camera-/160451479792?pt=UK_CCTV

Any comments at all would be much appreciated.

• Such as does the head unit in XT5 2006 support an aux video input ?
    and Specfications if known ?

• Are there any ipod adaptors that suppport ipod selection via album, artists rather than have to creat playlists?

• Can a subwoofer be fitted in the rear door of the XT5 and what wiring is required / maybe in place or avialable?

• has anybody upgraded wing mirrors to have indicator repeaters as the latest model? I saw chrome covers for the housing that seemed to have LED repeaters built in on eBay but cannot find them now.

Thanks for reading

1. The 4.3 XT5 is prewired for camera but not fitted ?

It should be. Mine was. See:

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=72730

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=72731

2. That the ones on ebay see link below will fit in place of currnet number plate lights under spear wheel?.

They have been mentioned before. I can't remember whether they were a good fit or not. Perhaps those that tried them will comment.

does the head unit in XT5 2006 support an aux video input ?

What has been done is to add a separate switch to the reversing signal input, which, in place of the reversing camera, will give you a composite video input via the camera input (or add a video switch to select between camera/other input).

There is what is almost certainly a digital video input. This is the blue socket:

B9004.jpg

The decoder chip is there:

cxb1458.jpg

This is a standard called "GVIF". The Prius uses it, as do others (e.g. Landrover). I don't know whether it can be activated on this headunit. If you search the web, there are adapters that claim to work with Lexus, but whether it would work here, I don't know. Don't expect it to be easily plug and play.

I've looked into doing some reverse engineering on it, but the associated video transmitter chip is not easy to get hold of in small quantities.

This is the sort of adapter advertised:

http://gsmserver.com/shop/car/gvif_interface_for_land_rover_lexus_ver_5_1_gf08tw.php

There are companies claiming to do video input conversions, might be worth giving them a ring.

Are there any ipod adaptors that suppport ipod selection via album, artists rather than have to creat playlists?

Don't think the Toyota adapter is particularly impressive. I suspect the problem is the level of lacking support needed in the satnav software.

Can a subwoofer be fitted in the rear door of the XT5 and what wiring is required / maybe in place or avialable?

Have a look at the JBL accessory installation manual on:

http://www.toyota-tech.eu/

(JBL RHD PZ490-X0230-00 AIM 001 126-0.pdf)

I haven't looked at it in detail, but you can put a speaker in the rear door - doesn't look like much existing wiring.

Hope you enjoy the RAV. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the response some really good news there. Hopefully somebody can commnet on the eBay camera for xt5. I tired to find the JBL pdf on the website link but without success think Im filling in the variuos fiedlds in the search wrong any more help here would be great ?

Regarding video input has anybody tried linking in a video source such as video ipod or dvd or tv etc and if so how did they gon on with audio.

Thank you again what a great club this is.

If you own a Toyota, this the BEST club you can be in :thumbsup:

One way it was done was with an aux-adapter (pretends to be a cd-changer to the head unit). See this thread:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=72447

On techdoc try:

general -> accessory installation manual -> search aim (click red box)

vehicle -> RAV4

generation -> FMC 11/2005

Accessory group -> Audio

Search.....

I'd attach it, but it's 4meg and there is a 2meg limit. Can't figure out how to give you a direct link at the moment.

You copy and paste the link at the top of the pdf.

Doh! Thanks. Could have sworn I tried that. :unsure:

One to you :lol::thumbsup: I was obviously having an off weekend with PCs ;).

Hi

The Camera that you are looking at is a perfect fit for the XT5 with number on rear bumper, as I have already fitted it.

When you buy the camera request a NTSC model as they give a clearer vision than the pal does on toyota's Sat Nav

The price is very good too, alot cheaper than I paid.

Use the maintenance tip to complete the wiring above.

Thanks for the response some really good news there. Hopefully somebody can commnet on the ebay camera for xt5. I tired to find the JBL pdf on the website link but without success think Im filling in the variuos fiedlds in the search wrong any more help here would be great ?

Regarding video input has anybody tried linking in a video source such as video ipod or dvd or tv etc and if so how did they gon on with audio.

That is brilliant. Thank you for confirmation. I am really quite excited about the XT5 roll on tomorrow.

We have a 6 hour Train Journey from Preston- Torquay then most probably Seven hour drive back so by the end of tomorrow I will know for sure what it is like to drive! and also how fuekl is on a long journey.

ps I see there is a CCD version rather than CMOS made by sharp I wonder whether the picture would be much improved.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190429942563&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I have read the CCD provides a better picture than CMOS .. any views anyone.

Hi

The Camera that you are looking at is a perfect fit for the XT5 with number on rear bumper, as I have already fitted it.

When you buy the camera request a NTSC model as they give a clearer vision than the pal does on toyota's Sat Nav

The price is very good too, alot cheaper than I paid.

Use the maintenance tip to complete the wiring above.

Thanks for the response some really good news there. Hopefully somebody can commnet on the ebay camera for xt5. I tired to find the JBL pdf on the website link but without success think Im filling in the variuos fiedlds in the search wrong any more help here would be great ?

True in the past, but reductions in CMOS geometries and improvements in silicon fab processing means the difference should be less clear cut now. Personally I wouldn't lose sleep either way in this application.

True in the past, but reductions in CMOS geometries and improvements in silicon fab processing means the difference should be less clear cut now. Personally I wouldn't lose sleep either way in this application.

On that basis you would say do not spend the extra £40 ?

David

CCDs are supposed to be better under low light conditions. CMOS can be a little bit more noisy.

However, on paper, the spec on those two look more or less equivalent to me.

The CCD one is PAL by default. Past opinions are the NTSC one gives better results. (I've tried both types of video sources with the head unit in the past and have to agree).

The CCD one does give an IP rating though. Maybe JHRC will comment as to whether he has any problem with water ingress etc with the other one he has fitted.

Then you have to remember the limited resolution of the camera and the screen it is feeding. It's possibly not worth getting that worked up about image quality etc.

If it were me, I'd probably chance me arm with the cheaper one, but the choice is yours!

Hi I have never had any problem with water ingress with this camera.

I have the ccd pal version fitted as I didn't request the ntsc version

as I purchased it from USA asuming that it would be a ntsc version I was wrong

but as shcm said there is very little difference not quite as sharp.

Now the ccd or cmos, ccd is more expensive but better at night, cmos camera is cheaper, normally have graduation

lines on the screen showing your distance from object behind you.

The only other comment I can make is the 170 degree angle is to wide and distorts the vision.

If I had to buy another I would go for cmos version

If there are any T180 owners reading this have a look at the model for the highlander it's similar

but requires a screw to secure it to your number plate and the light is a LED.

CCDs are supposed to be better under low light conditions. CMOS can be a little bit more noisy.

However, on paper, the spec on those two look more or less equivalent to me.

The CCD one is PAL by default. Past opinions are the NTSC one gives better results. (I've tried both types of video sources with the head unit in the past and have to agree).

The CCD one does give an IP rating though. Maybe JHRC will comment as to whether he has any problem with water ingress etc with the other one he has fitted.

Then you have to remember the limited resolution of the camera and the screen it is feeding. It's possibly not worth getting that worked up about image quality etc.

If it were me, I'd probably chance me arm with the cheaper one, but the choice is yours!

I think I may spend the extra on the CCD. Reasons being

a> brand name maker i.e sharp

b> lower light level

c> general agreement that ccd may have the edage for this apllication.

David