Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How To Remove Rear Seats In Celica Gen 7

Addictt

Hi Guys...

I have found that on the rear seat of my Celica Gen 7, I have a leak....

The passenger side rear seat is pretty soaked through, I've no idea where the water is from. I have lifted the seat up a little to get my hand under the seat and it was soaking wet.

Does anyone know where the leak is from???

and secondly, how on earth do i take out the seat so that i can dry it?

Any help on this would be much appreciated... I've searched all over google for it and through these forums.

Thanks

Check around the tail lights. Or the boot seal.

Remove as much carpet as you can and with the aid of a friend with a hose pipe. Climb in the back of the car as your friend sprays around the back end, tailgate, lights etc.

Check around the tail lights. Or the boot seal.

Remove as much carpet as you can and with the aid of a friend with a hose pipe. Climb in the back of the car as your friend sprays around the back end, tailgate, lights etc.

Hey.. cheers for that advice.. i'll do that tomorrow.. but this going sound bit of a daft question. When you say boot seal, do you mean the rubber bit that goes around?/?

Yep the rubber that seals the tailgate to the bodywork.

If you still can't find the leak take even more stuff out of the car and sprinkle some talc in there, my money would be on the seals around the tail lights.

Yep the rubber that seals the tailgate to the bodywork.

If you still can't find the leak take even more stuff out of the car and sprinkle some talc in there, my money would be on the seals around the tail lights.

haha i like the talc idea... however at the moment, the passenger side, back seat is absolutely soaked due to the rain.. any idea's on how to remove the bottom part of the seat?

Addictt,

You will have to remove the rear seat backs before the seat cushion comes out, fold the backs down & on either side you will see a bracket with two 10mm bolts, plus two 13mm bolts in the centre bracket. There is a securing wire attached to the rear of the seat cushion and this goes round that centre bracket, that's why you will have to remove the backs before lifting out the cushion.

You mentioned that you managed to get your hand underneath the seat so i'm assuming that you haven't actually lifted the front of the cushion yet, this is held down "very tightly" on either side by two plastic clips, dont be afraid to give it a good pull up with some force as these clips are really tight.

As for where the water is coming in I have to thank our good friends at newcelica.org for this one. On either side of the roof there is a plastic weather strip covering the roof seam, remove this stip clean up all the old sealer & debris & apply new silicone sealer from front to back & also along the seam where it is hidden at the top corners behind the tailgate. If you do a search for waterleaks at newcelica there are a couple of posts one with pics which you might find helpfull.

Since doing this several months ago I've had no more problems with either water getting underneath the rear seat or for that matter water in the spare wheel well. It might be an idea as well to check the alignment of the weatherseal around the tailgate (if your getting water in the boot) as it comes down & curves near to the tail lights. If the top of the seal appears to be leaning inwards instead of having a flat top (check the other side for comparison) then I'd use a couple of stips of gaffa tape for a month or so over the seal to bring it back to shape. Last time I checked a new weatherseal with tax was around £120.

Hope this helps

Rob140VVTi

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links