Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav4.3 Clunk From Front When Turning Slowly. What Is It?

benxt5

Picked up my 56reg xt5 d4d today and I am very pleased but one thing I have noticed is a clunking sound now and then from the front end when turning in at slow speed. You can feel it through the steering wheel. It happened on the test drive and I asked the salesman and he said it was normal and was the diff as it was a 4wd. This is my first 4wd so I took his word for it but the more I think about it now, the less sure I am.

I appreciate any thoughts you have on whether this is something I should be worried about or what may be the cause.

Thanks, Ben.

Picked up my 56reg xt5 d4d today and I am very pleased but one thing I have noticed is a clunking sound now and then from the front end when turning in at slow speed. You can feel it through the steering wheel. It happened on the test drive and I asked the salesman and he said it was normal and was the diff as it was a 4wd. This is my first 4wd so I took his word for it but the more I think about it now, the less sure I am.

I appreciate any thoughts you have on whether this is something I should be worried about or what may be the cause.

Thanks, Ben.

Have a read of this thread Ben:

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...mp;hl=egr+valve"]LINK

Might be similar?

Might be similar?

Thanks but i'm pretty sure its nothing to do with the engine. Its steering/suspension related. Maybe bushes or CV joints. I don't know enough to make a proper diagnosis.

In my service stuff it says that it had the EGR valve replaced on the 09/03/2009 after the EM light came on. Would that be the improved one?

I may take it into my local Toyota dealers and ask them...

Might be similar?

Thanks but i'm pretty sure its nothing to do with the engine. Its steering/suspension related. Maybe bushes or CV joints. I don't know enough to make a proper diagnosis.

In my service stuff it says that it had the EGR valve replaced on the 09/03/2009 after the EM light came on. Would that be the improved one?

I may take it into my local Toyota dealers and ask them...

OOOOOPS - sorry Ben. Copied the wrong link. Try this one:LINK

I would expect the EGR to be the improved version - if you have the part number someone will confirm no doubt.

OOOOOPS - sorry Ben. Copied the wrong link. Try this one:LINK

I would expect the EGR to be the improved version - if you have the part number someone will confirm no doubt.

LOL!!! That sounds much more like it! Ok, so from what i have read, it is not realy anything to worry about, more of a mild irritation than a safety/failure issue. I might still get it checked to put my mind at rest...

Thanks again, Ben.

Update - I have investigated further and it only happens when turning in and straightening up at low speeds i.e. not when the wheels are at a fixed amount of lock. From what I understand, this should rule out the CV joints so it must be bushes or the link aboove about suspension.

Update - I have investigated further and it only happens when turning in and straightening up at low speeds i.e. not when the wheels are at a fixed amount of lock. From what I understand, this should rule out the CV joints so it must be bushes or the link aboove about suspension.

Exactly as mine.

Anchorman and a few others had plastic washers fitted at top of suspension legs and that cured it but the service manager told me yesterday that it is the steering rack mounting bolts that need torquing up.

Seems to me unlikely that bolts wouldn't have been tightened properly 'on the line' [could happen though] and that the fact they are less tight than should be is more likely a result of the suspension putting strain on them repeatedly because the geometry is slightly out - hence the need for the washers. There is a TSB for the washer fix if anyone has the details?

Let us know how you get on. It is not regarded as a safety issue so don't worry unduly :thumbsup:

I'll get the part numbers from the bloke who bought mine :thumbsup:

Cheers, much appreciated. :yes:

Cheers, much appreciated. :yes:

Ditto :thumbsup:

Is this something that the garage should have fixed before they sold the car to me? ...and should I take it back to them and ask for it to be remedied?

They gave me a 60 day warranty.

Is this something that the garage should have fixed before they sold the car to me? ...and should I take it back to them and ask for it to be remedied?

They gave me a 60 day warranty.

You can certainly ask. You've got a better chance with a Toyota dealer than an independant but I would try either way.

Any joy with those part numbers?

I would like to go in with all the ammo I can, and as they aren't a Toyota dealers (Arnold Clark vauxhall infact), they may help them too!!!

I would like to go in with all the ammo I can, and as they aren't a Toyota dealers (Arnold Clark vauxhall infact), they may help them too!!!

This is a well-known problem in N. America--Google "steering intermediate shaft noise rav4" and you will find among other things this TSB which explains the problem:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/snd27613/2008-10-14_215655_rav_4_steering_2.pdf

This is a well-known problem in N. America--Google "steering intermediate shaft noise rav4" and you will find among other things this TSB which explains the problem:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/snd27613/2008-10-14_215655_rav_4_steering_2.pdf

No it isn't James. I had this done on my last one(only to find the dealer had not refitted the charged for, very special stainless steel clip that is essential for stopping deep water coming in through the steering column). It seemed to work at first but I think it was because they had it suspended with the weight off the suspension as it was back within a couple of days. It was eventually traced by the Service Manager to be these plastic washers that are a mod. They are very cheap in the scheme of things but there is a lot of labour to strip each suspension leg down as they are in the top of the McPherson strut.

Ok, just to clarify and get things clear in my head...

Is this something that will get worse and effect the performance of the car, eventually having to be repaired or is it merely a slight design quirk that is a small irritation?

i.e Can I leave it as is and live with the slight knock if the dealer won't fit the little washers under the warranty given at time of purchase?

Yes it is nothing more than an irritation. Its a bit like a creaking gate hinge that would run nice and free if it had some nice pins and bushes. You might - just might be able to squirt some WD40 up to the top of the swivel if you take the wheel off. Avoid getting it on the shock absorber piston/ram.

Yes it is nothing more than an irritation. Its a bit like a creaking gate hinge that would run nice and free if it had some nice pins and bushes. You might - just might be able to squirt some WD40 up to the top of the swivel if you take the wheel off. Avoid getting it on the shock absorber piston/ram.

Well that restores some of my faith in the salesman! He said he was ex Toyota and that lots of Ravs did it and it was nothing to wory about. He also said his wife had a 2.0 d4d that did it. I may live with it then as I reckon if Arnold Clark take it apart, it may not go back together as well as before. Not knocking them but they are not trained Toyota mechanics.

Cheers again.