Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dual Mass Flywheel Replacement Costs

coopersport

I have just been to the local Toyota dealer (Blackburn) and have diagnosed a replacement flywheel and clutch assembly after 95000 miles after listening to the rattling and vibration coming from the engine. They have quoted me £1600.00 for a new clutch and flywheel fitted. Does this sound a resonable price?

I'm far from an expert but that sounds a lot to me. I paid £800 for a dual mass flywheel and clutch replacement on a VW Passat Tdi 130 about 3 years ago. VAG aren't known for cheap parts but that seems a bargain compared to what you've been quoted. Have you tried a different garage? Nationwide Autocentre or even a few reputable private garages.

I have just been to the local Toyota dealer (Blackburn) and have diagnosed a replacement flywheel and clutch assembly after 95000 after listening to the rattling and vibration coming from the engine. They have quoted me £1600.00 for a new clutch and flywheel fitted. Does this sound a resonable price?

I'd agree-I've been quoted £1205 (Toyota dealer) and £1220 (independent) up here in Glasgow

I'm far from an expert but that sounds a lot to me. I paid £800 for a dual mass flywheel and clutch replacement on a VW Passat Tdi 130 about 3 years ago. VAG aren't known for cheap parts but that seems a bargain compared to what you've been quoted. Have you tried a different garage? Nationwide Autocentre or even a few reputable private garages.

I tried another dealer and was quoted £2100.00!! I don't really want to leave it a garage who haven't really come across fitting them as from what I've read on here, it seems a pretty intensive job and, as I'll be keeping the car a few more years yet I need to know the job is done right. Unless someone knows of a Toyota expert in the Blackburn/Bolton area?

Welcome to the club.

I take you have read the article on DMFs in the pinned section?

Welcome to the club.

Hi,

Yes, great explanation! I've read that and I got a quote for parts which came to just short of £1000 so I'm thinking the price I've been quoted isn't as bad as it seems. :unsure:

Welcome to the club.

Hi,

Yes, great explanation! I've read that and I got a quote for parts which came to just short of £1000 so I'm thinking the price I've been quoted isn't as bad as it seems. :unsure:

If you've done clutches in biggish 2.0 litre cars you could try doing your own but it is heavy so you definitely need a good strong helper.

It is indeed a big job to do on the RAV's... as most of the front engine needs to come out to just gain access to the DMF and clutch... a good chunk of the money is on labour....

The parts are very heavy so as Anchorman says a good strong helper would be needed... and if doing this at home to strong axle jacks also...

Had mine done a few years ago and she's still going strong...no judder or noise..

I tried another dealer and was quoted £2100.00!! I don't really want to leave it a garage who haven't really come across fitting them as from what I've read on here, it seems a pretty intensive job and, as I'll be keeping the car a few more years yet I need to know the job is done right. Unless someone knows of a Toyota expert in the Blackburn/Bolton area?

Hi,

in your position I would PM Parts King and ask him to give you a price for the job. You can bet he will do his best for Forum Members :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

It is indeed a big job to do on the RAV's... as most of the front engine needs to come out to just gain access to the DMF and clutch... a good chunk of the money is on labour....

All done now and £1596.41 lighter. I had forgotten how good the RAV is to drive after gradually getting to used to the heavy clutch and vibration. Thanks for all your info. And a HUGE thanks to Anchcorman :yahoo: for the article on rear brakes. Just changed my rear discs and pads at a cost of £68.00. Mr T was going to charge me £304.60 at the same time my DMF was done. I think not Mr. T!