Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Car Wash

Goulss

Hi everybody,

I am about 4 weeks away from getting my T-spirit, and I can't wait. As the first person in the company to have one I am sure I will be getting plenty of questions and comments. However for now I have a question of my own. When using one of the pull through type car washes I just put my automatic Passat in neutral ensuring the auto hold feature is disabled.

What would I do in the Prius?

Thanks in advance.

Stewart.

Never used one of those, I always wash mine by hand, much more detailed and cleaner. However,if you are unable to do it yourself then a handy boy scout perhaps? :)

Just stick it in Neutral as you would on any automatic car. I have read somewhere that you shouldn't stick a Prius through one of these car washes as the chain drive of the carwash can catch on some low (and probably expensive) parts of the Prius. Also, high pressure water jets spraying under your car which has a 250v Battery may not be too prudent either. Yes I am aware the Prius electrics are sealed but I still wouldn't recommend it.

Oh, and the Prius paint isn't as hard as it could be. I have used one of these chain drive car washes a number of times with no problems but my paintwork took a hammering!

I'd avoid any of those kind of car washes at all cost if you value your paintwork...But hey if you must, just stick it in neutral...

Last March my car got covered in a whitish/grey powdery stuff from something that must have been spilled on the motorway. I tried to wash the car myself but it I could not remove the powder fully it was in every nook & crevice and underneath the car. We have one of the super car washes in town, they give it a hand pre wash and the machine washes under and over and waxes for £8. It did a very good job but I do not use the car wash all the time. I do not think it can harm the electronics of the car. You just put the car in neutral and brake off.

My son uses automatic car washes in UK & Europe for his Prius with no detrimental effect.

I think you have to be careful which car wash you use. I would never let the guys who hand wash cars in supermarket car parks touch my car.

I am told some Toyota dealers put Prius cars through automatic car washes.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links