Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Judder On Car - Ongoing

Notebook

Hi all - for the few who have listened to me moan about a judder on my rav - took it out tonight and tried my damdest? to recreate the fault. However I couldnt get it to do it and thinking back, it is far worse in the summer.

Feathering the accelerator causes it on the motorway, and is far worse with the aircon on. Anyway it feels like the engine losing power if foot off the accelerator and sometimes when feathering, it jurks suddenly............

Anyway its the first cold evening for ages, 16 degrees, so that got me thinking - as the engine runs at the same temp I guess - what else looks at the outside air temp - the airflow measuring jobby? I cleaned that previously - can these drift out of tolerance? How much are they - making sense?

Hi all - for the few who have listened to me moan about a judder on my rav - took it out tonight and tried my damdest? to recreate the fault. However I couldnt get it to do it and thinking back, it is far worse in the summer.

Feathering the accelerator causes it on the motorway, and is far worse with the aircon on. Anyway it feels like the engine losing power if foot off the accelerator and sometimes when feathering, it jurks suddenly............

Anyway its the first cold evening for ages, 16 degrees, so that got me thinking - as the engine runs at the same temp I guess - what else looks at the outside air temp - the airflow measuring jobby? I cleaned that previously - can these drift out of tolerance? How much are they - making sense?

Had some juddering of the jet engine recently and the guys traced it to me not low flying quite so often - cleaned plugs and airflow thing and back to normal.

I have a similar phenomenon; no sudden jerks but when feathering the accelerator pedal it hiccups every now and again, sometimes to the point of very faint hunting/kangarooing. I had injectors, fuel pump and MAFF sensor replaced - no improvement. Thorough ECG cleaning - no improvement. The only thing is that I have known a couple of other new-ish fuel injected cars to do something similar and wondered if it was a consequence of efforts to get engines to run very efficiently. But that's only a guess and in the meantime the hiccuping continues to annoy me. As do the poor brakes, the loud creaking from the rear suspension, the grinding noises from the steering and the clonk from the front when braking hard. Otherwise - great car...

Forgot to say it is petrol - if that makes any difference

Forgot to say it is petrol - if that makes any difference

nicely put.... I didn't want to offend NMaria by saying D4D machines were evolved from oil burning tractors of which we have a few now....and yes they all make weird noises; cost a fortune in maintenance; creaking, grinding, clonking and squealing all come with the territory.

Petrol on the other hand is more predictable - now tell me you don't use supermarket fuel ... :censor:

• 2 weeks later...

from another post - filled up on Shell normal and all ok for a week - so filled up for a holiday to cornwall with Shell. Ok - drove 600 miles over the week - most on Shell standard lead free. with aircon on - very rare hesitation with the engine - once or twice over the week. Today filled up with asda normal jobby and drove home from cornwall to newport and had a 1/4 tank of shell to start.

Yes I know it mixes, but on the severn bridge / bristol area and the judder came back.

Nick

from another post - filled up on shell normal and all ok for a week - so filled up for a holiday to cornwall with shell. Ok - drove 600 miles over the week - most on shell standard lead free. with aircon on - very rare hesitation with the engine - once or twice over the week. Today filled up with asda normal jobby and drove home from cornwall to newport and had a 1/4 tank of shell to start.

Yes I know it mixes, but on the severn bridge / bristol area and the judder came back.

Nick

Hi

I have only used Shell in my 04 vvti and it still does the same thing

just serviced it inc new Iridium plugs etc no change.

I have fitted a scangauge 2 and it seems to occur as tps reads about 19 ,fully closed thr is tps 16

Hi

Can you explain the data to me - thanks - tps etc

Cheers

Hi. tps = throttle position sensor

with no pressure on the acc pedal it reads 16

at a reading of 18-19 very light pressure nearly on overun the fault occurs

i think the ecu is cutting the fuel to early as if the throttle is closed

but just my guess

shower of meanies -

I only ever use Shell V-power in my petrol cars. It minimises problems due to gunk and I did the swap after an Esso rep told me some of the ways that supermarket fuel is cheaper.

My 2 RAVs are both set up to work on higher octane vpower. The Previa just enjoys it and I don't get any trouble with it.

I even feed Shell diesel to our trucks...altho the red diesel comes from a cheaper source.... for our plant. We have more bother with red diesel than anything.

If its what I'm thinking of its a flat spot/hesitation and was very common on early VVTi engines. Most promenant when you are just easing on the accelerator on that kind of on power/off power position. Its more of an irritation than anything else. As the tuning is preset, all you can do is make sure you are on healthy Iridium plugs and higher octane fuel.

Even though out of warranty - I reported it when it was inside - anyway taken up the chase again.

3 letters to toyota hq and they would note my dissatisfaction......great.

Contacted newport dealer owners - the sytner group - they emailed to say they would like to have another look at it - I offered to help pay something towards it but not £30 to plug it in to be told nothing. They said that they would direct newport toyota to contact me immediately. Over a week gone and nothing as usual in the way of contact.

Again toyota newport appear to be a waste of time.

Contacted this morning by toyota newport who said they will do the diagnostic for nothing - lets see

Nothing found again - but definately rus better on my local Shell - as mentioned previously - when empty, will fill using a higher octane and see what happens.

probably Shell, but noticed supermarket ones are cheaper, or am I going down the same road.

Not sure about that Nick. Is their high grade petrol the equivelent of regular branded fuel or nearer to high grade branded???

Its not just a question of octane rating but all the other additives. I think I would stick to high grade branded for what the difference in price is :thumbsup: