Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis Lost Power ( No Turbo And Trc Off And Vsc Lit)

doctorc

Hi All,

I have only owned my Avensis D4D T180 (2007) for a week. I started it after work on monday and both the "TRC off" and "VSC" were lit and the engine had lost all power as the turbo wasnt kicking in. I had to limp home from Reading to horsham....I stopped on the way home and when i restarted the turbo was working again but TRC off and VSC are still on.

Has any one else had these issues and how were they solved. All help appreciated.

thanks all.

newbie Dave.

Similar thing happened to me only a few weeks ago on holidays in germany - took it to a Toyota main dealer & it turned out to be a blocked EGR Valve & assembly (totally carboned up and a real issue on these modern diesel engines). The daft thing was I had only cleaned it out a month or so before (perhaps I didnt get at all of the carbon/soot).

As soon as it was cleaned out all of the power was suddenly back with no issues. Also happened to a good friend of mine at work only this week on her 2.2 T180 Rav 4. In germany, my car went into `limp home mode` with various engine lights on the dash.

The EGR valve & assembly should really be cleaned on an annual service but as this is not pat of a service it usually never is cleaned.

Good luck with your motor - keep us informed. I hope its `only` the above problem and nothing more too serious.

Hi All,

I have only owned my Avensis D4D T180 (2007) for a week. I started it after work on monday and both the "TRC off" and "VSC" were lit and the engine had lost all power as the turbo wasnt kicking in. I had to limp home from Reading to horsham....I stopped on the way home and when i restarted the turbo was working again but TRC off and VSC are still on.

Has any one else had these issues and how were they solved. All help appreciated.

thanks all.

newbie Dave.

Hi Dave,

Nice to hear someone else local to me has made a similar purchase. I'm no expert on here as my posts will no doubt show. I just wantd to say that if it is the EGR valve it is a cinch to clean out and there are guides on the forum to help you do so. Additionally, what MPG are you getting at the present time? I have just had mine surviced and and checked and I dont seem to do better than about 35MPG average whic I find a little disappointing as I have to drive like a granny to get that!

Matt,

Have you tried driving it a little more normal than using gears at too low speeds, I found that I get slightly better MPG if instead of changing to 4th I stick to 3rd on a 30MPH and 4th for 40 5th for 45 plus until you reach 70 then I go for the 6th. We all have different driving habits and I used to always drive in as high gear as possible but after 7 years of driving company cars like rally cars and then driving my personal car like a granny and having problems with the engine I find that its better to be in a lower gear than too high!

Thats only my feelings and i'm sure we'll all have different opinions but thought I'd give you mine.

Similar thing happened to me only a few weeks ago on holidays in germany - took it to a Toyota main dealer & it turned out to be a blocked EGR Valve & assembly (totally carboned up and a real issue on these modern diesel engines). The daft thing was I had only cleaned it out a month or so before (perhaps I didnt get at all of the carbon/soot).

As soon as it was cleaned out all of the power was suddenly back with no issues. Also happened to a good friend of mine at work only this week on her 2.2 T180 Rav 4. In germany, my car went into `limp home mode` with various engine lights on the dash.

The EGR valve & assembly should really be cleaned on an annual service but as this is not pat of a service it usually never is cleaned.

Good luck with your motor - keep us informed. I hope its `only` the above problem and nothing more too serious.

thanks for the quick reply tubaman.

I shall read up on blocked EGR valves and look to do it myself although does this account for the "TRC off" and "VSC" being lit on the instrument panel as these both happened simultaneously and are still lit now even though the turbo seems to be behaving a little better. I am averaging 47 MPG which isnt bad.

I shall read up on blocked EGR valves and look to do it myself although does this account for the "TRC off" and "VSC" being lit on the instrument panel as these both happened simultaneously and are still lit now even though the turbo seems to be behaving a little better. I am averaging 47 MPG which isnt bad.

47 mpg??? Thats brilliant!! and yes Doc, I have tried everything. all sorts of different driving styles. Been out with Octagon Toyota's diagnostic guy ( man mountain by the way) who was very nice etc and he drove the car down to the M4 jn 11 along to Jn 10 and back through Reading and he got it to 42mpg but that was with all electrics off and going to cruise control and silly slow on the motorway. What is the point in having a car with 180bhp and all that torc if you have to drive it like a granny in order to get anything like sensible mpg! On the diagnostic all my injectors apparently are bang on and the car is working really well.. acccording to them.. According to me I have a flat spot below about 1800 that feels like a countdown and then lift off in first gear.. its ridiculus and quite un nerving.. seems I will have to 'load' the car early to get the revs up before popping the clutch to get over this.. which clearly can not do the clutch any good.. Have I just got a duff one? Would be really interesting to drive someone elses car and have them drive mine to see what differences are there...

Just for the record, my "TRC off" and "VSC" lights also came on when the engine showed the fault.

Same fault with our Auris 2.0 d-4d T-Spirit, cleared out the EGR and reset the ECU (Pulled negative on battery) and everything is now better. Need to go back in and do a more thorough clean on the EGR, didn't have any carb cleaner at the time. Will now do the job on our 2.2 d-4d Avensis too.

The Auris showed the TRC and VSC fault lights, when looking at the manual this is the indication of "take it to the garage", however a quick 30mins to an hour on the EGR may save you a lot of time and cash with the dealer.

47 mpg??? Thats brilliant!! and yes Doc, I have tried everything. all sorts of different driving styles. Been out with Octagon Toyota's diagnostic guy ( man mountain by the way) who was very nice etc and he drove the car down to the M4 jn 11 along to Jn 10 and back through Reading and he got it to 42mpg but that was with all electrics off and going to cruise control and silly slow on the motorway. What is the point in having a car with 180bhp and all that torc if you have to drive it like a granny in order to get anything like sensible mpg! On the diagnostic all my injectors apparently are bang on and the car is working really well.. acccording to them.. According to me I have a flat spot below about 1800 that feels like a countdown and then lift off in first gear.. its ridiculus and quite un nerving.. seems I will have to 'load' the car early to get the revs up before popping the clutch to get over this.. which clearly can not do the clutch any good.. Have I just got a duff one? Would be really interesting to drive someone elses car and have them drive mine to see what differences are there...

that is odd as i hired a 2.2 T4 before i purchased my Avensis and that was averaging over 50mpg on motorways averaging 80-90mph....I would push the dealer as they are definitely missing something...

Same fault with our Auris 2.0 d-4d T-Spirit, cleared out the EGR and reset the ECU (Pulled negative on battery) and everything is now better. Need to go back in and do a more thorough clean on the EGR, didn't have any carb cleaner at the time. Will now do the job on our 2.2 d-4d Avensis too.

The Auris showed the TRC and VSC fault lights, when looking at the manual this is the indication of "take it to the garage", however a quick 30mins to an hour on the EGR may save you a lot of time and cash with the dealer.

thanks Axeman. I would do that but as its covered by my 30 day purchase warranty and 1 year AA warranty I will let the unhelpful and soft Toyota dealer tell me what the issue is first...:-)

This not an uncommon problem on 2.2 diesels and if it gets bad enough it will go into limp mode and display numerous warnings on the dash. This article by Rick nicely shows the cleaning process.

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=106241

I wonder how robust the cleaning process is above as I did this (twice in a short time actually) & had to get a Toyota main dealer to do it again about 2 months later while I was on hols in Germany.

I wonder if the main dealers do something different to the explanation of the process on the forum ?

I wonder how robust the cleaning process is above as I did this (twice in a short time actually) & had to get a Toyota main dealer to do it again about 2 months later while I was on hols in Germany.

I wonder if the main dealers do something different to the explanation of the process on the forum ?

hello mate

you try to cure the RESULT but not the reason.

when you experience too much carbon deposits in the EGR -- it means the same is in yout turbo. The reason is poor injection giving you such head ache. All injectors are subjected for test in the same time periods. Cheers/Igor

that is odd as i hired a 2.2 T4 before i purchased my Avensis and that was averaging over 50mpg on motorways averaging 80-90mph....I would push the dealer as they are definitely missing something...

The T4 is a different ECU setting isnt it? So less BHP etc.. Mine is a T180..

I just back from the dealer after they diagnosed the fault and guess what....wait for it...EGR Valve replacement adjustment and clean up. It took them an hour to decide that...And what to charge the car supermarket i bought it from in excess of £500 to resolve it. (includes the new valve and 5 hours labour apparently to replace it and clean up the EGR. incredibly they (Toyota main dealer)said it is ok to drive in the meantime.....even though it has no power to pull away....amazing..:-(