Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Could Someone Do Me A Massive Favour Please

Bong Water

I would really really appreciate it if someone could help me.

Could people with a T-Sport do the following the next time they are in their car and report back, I just want to know what you can hear, mine makes a whining/whistling noise and i'm trying to figure out if its normal and i'm paranoid or not!

Thanks

Wind all windows up and turn stereo off, put it in 3rd, hold it at 2krpm whilst in 3rd gear, what can you hear? If you hear a faint whine/whistle, does it go away when you press the clutch?

Please let me know I would really apreciate it!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bong Water

• KPARRIS-JONES

• Corolla Glynn

• eddieinvader

Bump to remind people to do this on the way to work tomorrow please? It will take 30 seconds of your time and if its normal which I am sure it is you will know exactly what I mean, its easy to do and 2krpm in 3rd is like 20mph

Thanks

Thanksmate would really appreciate it, its driving me mad wondering what it is, i'm sure its normal an its just the transmission under load at low RPM but I really cant be sure

Ours does it. Yes its particlarly promminent in 3rd gear between 2 and 3K rpm. Theres other threads about the gear box whine.

Thanks

Cyclopse

Ours does it. Yes its particlarly promminent in 3rd gear between 2 and 3K rpm. Theres other threads about the gear box whine.

Thanks

Cyclopse

I've had a good search but couldnt find anything the search system on this site is strange it links to google so you get all sorts, i've been searching all over the place and some say its common on Toyota and its nothing to worry about but others are confusing and conflicting

Thanks for the feedback, would appreciate more to put my mind at rest, cheers

Can't notice anything like that with mine.

Can't notice anything like that with mine.

Have you done it exactly as I have said because if not you probably wouldnt notice it

Yup there is a very faint whine which goes when you dip the clutch.

It's just normal transmission noise and shouldn't be looked into if you are worried. ;)

Yup there is a very faint whine which goes when you dip the clutch.

It's just normal transmission noise and shouldn't be looked into if you are worried. ;)

I think I love you a bit, thanks man. I think i'm going to get my gear box oil changed as its never been done from what I can tell as mine is a little louder than very faint but thats probably because I am really listening for it

mine does it too, at low revs slightly on accelerator. always has done, i like it haha

Thanks for the reply, you sure yours aint charger noise though!? :P

haha I'm open to new things :P

Ok then, good idea, I know what it's like when you hear something and it seems to get worse. 98& of the time though it has just been me listening for it which kinda amplifies it. :D

its wurring from the transmission .

Yes i've established that, I was trying to understand if its normal or not, no other car I have owned has made any such noise. I'm confused by your comment, it could mean its normal and yours does it or its not normal and yours doesnt do it

Gearbox bearings!

Thanks for that, I'll take your diagnoses with a pinch of salt seeing as though you havent heard the noise, you havent mentioned whether or not your car does it and havent given any reason as to why you say that.

If it was bearing related, surely it would get worse as the revs climb, and not totally disapear after 2krpm or more than 10/20% throttle

I would really appreciate it if people could just carry out the request instead of jumping in thread, reading a bit of info and blarting out the first thing that comes into their mind without explaining their post properly

This thread has had 170 views and one person has actually been bothered to do this really simple task and post back, anyone can type two words and press reply, doesnt mean jack!

Hi There

I know the noise you mean, I get the same, had it checked out by Mr T and he said "just normal transmission noise, don't worry about it".

So I don't any more!

Enjoy the lift my friend.

Loljulie

Hi There

I know the noise you mean, I get the same, had it checked out by Mr T and he said "just normal transmission noise, don't worry about it".

So I don't any more!

Enjoy the lift my friend.

Loljulie

Ok thanks for letting me know appreciate it

Tried this on the way to work this morning. Managed to hear it once but I struggled to find a road I could do 2k in 3rd without people honking at me lol! It was very faint, barely louder than road noise for me but something their.

tried it . mine doesnt make this noise.hard to say whether or not your being paranoid .Bong water probably induces paranoia .....just a thought.

Its a good thing I dont smoke then isnt it.

In your other post you say its whirring from the transmission and you managed to go out and try it which is great but then you say yours doesnt do it. So when you say its whirring from the transission how did you know?

So much of a mixed bag of responses, the panic is because I only have a couple of days of warranty left and if the warranty expires and theres a problem when I could of done something about it then i'm going to be seriously annoyed, thing is its back twice already, once for a new Battery and once to have the front splitter painted that they scratched whilst having the Battery fitted so I almost feel like i'm mithering especially if it could be normal

well i tried it yesterday and didnt notice any noise . i sometimes notice wurring in lower gears but dont all cars do that a bit? doesnt sound like its a common thing to all T sports in the particular gear and revs that you mention .i would take it in if your worried. i guess your hoping for someone to say "yes thats normal nothing to worry about" but its hard without hearing the noise for ourselves.