Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2003 Avensis Cigarette Lighter

mloc

Hi! I have a 2003 Toyota Avensis D4D (2.0 litre diesel). The cigarette lighter does not work at all.

Here's how it stopped working: I was using the cigarette lighter socket to power a mini-compressor to pump up a flat tyre. While doing so, the power wire from the mini-compressor got hot and then it stopped. I then checked the cigarette lighter and found that it no longer worked.

I checked the cigarette-lighter fuse behind the glove box and it is perfect. Also noticed that the illumination for the cigarette lighter did not work a couple of weeks beforehand....as well as the illumination for both the a/c switch and the fan control switch on the centre console. Are they related to the cigarette lighter???

My main concern though is...how do i get the cigarette lighter back working???...because i really need it to charge my phone and sat nav while I'm driving. Any help is much appreciated.

Hi! I have a 2003 Toyota Avensis D4D (2.0 litre diesel). The cigarette lighter does not work at all.

Here's how it stopped working: I was using the cigarette lighter socket to power a mini-compressor to pump up a flat tyre. While doing so, the power wire from the mini-compressor got hot and then it stopped. I then checked the cigarette lighter and found that it no longer worked.

I checked the cigarette-lighter fuse behind the glove box and it is perfect. Also noticed that the illumination for the cigarette lighter did not work a couple of weeks beforehand....as well as the illumination for both the a/c switch and the fan control switch on the centre console. Are they related to the cigarette lighter???

My main concern though is...how do i get the cigarette lighter back working???...because i really need it to charge my phone and sat nav while I'm driving. Any help is much appreciated.

Are you absolutely sure on the fuse? Sometimes they can look to be intact but have a small break/burn in the loop. Check there is power both sides of the fuse with a test light. Can't remember the fuse number off-hand but it's 15amp (blue) in the centre row, right hand side of the board if it's the earlier shape and if memory serves me well , not sure on the later one.

Not much help, but make sure nothing has broken off the plug of your compressor plug.

A mate had a simular problem. The reason what a bit of metal broke off the plug and was shorting out the system inside the lighter.

As a quick fix, unplug the lighter, check the fuse and see if the other dash lights come back on.

I know it doesn't fix the problem, but do you not have a lighter in the back for rear passengers?

• 1 year later...

Are you absolutely sure on the fuse? Sometimes they can look to be intact but have a small break/burn in the loop. Check there is power both sides of the fuse with a test light. Can't remember the fuse number off-hand but it's 15amp (blue) in the centre row, right hand side of the board if it's the earlier shape and if memory serves me well , not sure on the later one.

Cheers mate for your reply! Yeah, the fuse is ok. But I haven't tested both sides of the fuse as you suggested. Otherwise I'm thinking the wiring loom is burnt out. :-(

Not much help, but make sure nothing has broken off the plug of your compressor plug.

A mate had a simular problem. The reason what a bit of metal broke off the plug and was shorting out the system inside the lighter.

As a quick fix, unplug the lighter, check the fuse and see if the other dash lights come back on.

I know it doesn't fix the problem, but do you not have a lighter in the back for rear passengers?

Cheers mate for your reply! Yeah, I've checked inside the cigarette lighter and all is ok. I think I should test both sides of the cigarette lighter fuse-holder with a testmeter...for power continuation. It's just so annoying, having nothing to power/charge my stuff!! There's no power outlet in the rear...only a blank ashtray. :-(