Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rust

Plutus

There was a thread about this a couple of months ago but I can't find it.

I've identified rust at the bottom of the 2 front doors where they meet the seal.

I took it to the local dealer who took photos and referred it to Toyota.

Answer came back no as it "is not rusting from the inside but the outside - i.e. grit on the door seal has rubbed against the paint causing this rust".

Dealer has quoted me £100 per door to repair.

Given that I intend to keep the car for several more years is this worth it?

I have to say that on the driver's door you can easily see it but have to look hard on the passenger side.

I'd say it is definitely worth it if you want to keep it. Rust is my worst enemy along side the water pump and lack of cash. :lol:

I hate the fact they don't just do it... for goodness sake they build these cars and should have them properly covered under warranty. Very jammy the way they set up the T&C's..... :angry:

But I would get it done, probably cheaper at an independent garage though.

It depends how fussy you are. I would probably have it done - not just to look better but to try and stop it spreading.

I am totally intrigued.....how the Friar Tuck (sorry, but this has windified me up) can anybody identify and come to this conclusion via a photograph? Now they've got a Forensic Department, what?

If grit can get on the face of the seal, such that it lies there waiting for unsuspecting paintwork, surely the space is too large to allow it through in the first place? With the amount of grit we get up here, I will add this to my "things to look out for", a list which is beginning to look like Wayne Rooney's payslip.......

Big Kev....who was crap at golf today, in case you couldnae tell....... :ffs:

You just made me go check my car doors and I could find no rust at all.

I thought they galvanised lower door parts these days ?

Unless you have some serious and obvious "user" induced scratching.

I would have thought this is not really acceptable in a modern car.

In this case I would try pursue it further with Toyota.

You just made me go check my car doors and I could find no rust at all.

I thought they galvanised lower door parts these days ?

Unless you have some serious and obvious "user" induced scratching.

I would have thought this is not really acceptable in a modern car.

In this case I would try pursue it further with Toyota.

Absolutely McDitto that, Ian.....that's sorta what I meant by that wee rant I had above....spending too much time with Local Hero, methinks......

Big Moan :thumbsup:

The dealer said Toyota turned it down flat straight away.

So, how do I pursue this with Toyota?

It has full toyota service history.

Take care - normal road dirt can be very abrasive. If it gets on one of the door seals it can rub the paint away to bare metal and then it will rust. The may well have seen it a thousand times. You can spend a lot of time putting a case together but have a good look at what might have happened first :thumbsup:

Take care - normal road dirt can be very abrasive. If it gets on one of the door seals it can rub the paint away to bare metal and then it will rust. The may well have seen it a thousand times. You can spend a lot of time putting a case together but have a good look at what might have happened first :thumbsup:

Do it yourself.... Look into Bilt Hamber, its superb!!

http://www.bilthamber.com/corrosionremoval.html

Do it yourself.... Look into Bilt Hamber, its superb!!

http://www.bilthamber.com/corrosionremoval.html

Blue,

Just looked at your link, and will only this morning be starting bto strip back a wheel arch on nephew's car, so wish I had seen before now. Mostly seems to be DIPPING of rusty bits into solution, but does it also work as well as a "brush-on" application?

Big Kev.

Ignore question, Blue....just read up on GEL VERSION.....muppet.

Big Cannyread :thumbsup: