Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuel Tank Range & Ecu Re-Set

LEIGH T180

Hi all.

I have a Avensis T180 2007.

When the tank is full, the range computer says it will do about 420 miles.

But I am doing 500-540 miles per tank. Even then there is still about a gallon left in the tank as I can only get in 55 ish litres.

I have read on here about resetting the ecu so that the car can learn your driving style. I assume the car is thinking that the previous owner had a heavier right foot than me.

I have tried re-setting the range computer by holding down the button as you do when resetting mpg etc but nothing happens.

How do you re-set the ecu? I read about pulling out the ecu fuse... Where is it. Or is it best to disconnect the Battery, but then I guess I'll loose the radio settings and phonebook memory etc....

What sould I do?

Thanks

Hi all.

I have a Avensis T180 2007.

When the tank is full, the range computer says it will do about 420 miles.

But I am doing 500-540 miles per tank. Even then there is still about a gallon left in the tank as I can only get in 55 ish litres.

I have read on here about resetting the ecu so that the car can learn your driving style. I assume the car is thinking that the previous owner had a heavier right foot than me.

I have tried re-setting the range computer by holding down the button as you do when resetting mpg etc but nothing happens.

How do you re-set the ecu? I read about pulling out the ecu fuse... Where is it. Or is it best to disconnect the battery, but then I guess I'll loose the radio settings and phonebook memory etc....

What sould I do?

Thanks

The range is calculated on the previous 10 miles or so of driving measured against the fuel remaining in the tank but not including the reserve fuel. It is not necessary to reset the system as it continuously measures consumption. However all readouts can be zeroed if required.

Fitter

Reseting the ecu wont really affect the range read out. As I understand it the range is set to be conservative to ensure there is always fuel in the tank.As in modern diesels the fuel is used to cool the fuel pumps. If the fuel runs low then there is less cooling and can cause issues with the pump.