Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Over-Tyred

WPayton

Hi folks,

I'm brand new, despite owning my Corolla for 5 years now.

I need to replace all four tyres. Problem is, I have no idea about these things. I'm guessing that I don't need a high performance tyre for my 1.4 Diesel engine. But I want to keep me, my wife and my 3 year old boy safe.

I live in the Lake District, so half of my time is spent on windy country roads. The other half on Motorways. It's usually wet. And occasionally icy.

I'm thinking of Uniroyal Rainexpert or Rainsport, Bridgestone ER300s or Dunlop Sport Fast Response as these all seem to be reasonably hard wearing and handle the road well. However, they are on the pricey side and as I don't own a performance car, do I really need to spring for a tyre with the word 'sport' in the name?

Any help is really, really appreciated.

Many, many thanks in advance.

You don't want to skimp when it comes to tyres I would always recommend to get the best you can afford any branded tyre should be good - stay away from remoulds and the budget end of the market and you will be ok.

Last thing you want is ditch finders :thumbsup:

You don't want to skimp when it comes to tyres I would always recommend to get the best you can afford any branded tyre should be good - stay away from remoulds and the budget end of the market and you will be ok.

Last thing you want is ditch finders :thumbsup:

+1.Good advice :thumbsup:

Welcome to the club too,WPayton :)

Welcome to the forum WPayton :thumbsup: I am also firmly in the 'don't skimp on tyres' camp!

I have the Dunlop FastResponse tyres on the front of my Corolla (still have the original Michelins on the back though they are due to be changed soon). The Dunlops seem good - no issues with road holding in wet or dry - and wear appears reasonable. They are also very quiet (well, to me anyway and a Which? review had them as one of the quietest tyres out there). Michelin has a good general reputation for wear it seems .. certainly borne out by the Michelin tyres I have had over the years. But, as I say, whatever you choose, spend the money on a reasonable make.

Hope that's helpful.

michelin primacy hp which come standard fitment on the 55 shape avensis are very good tyres my dads got them on his so far they've done 20K and still got plenty left on them. they cost around 90quid each though last time i checked..

IMO you can get some really good budgets also really bad ones you just got to pick the right one trial and error.

I used to run Bridgestone E300's on my Corolla, but the last set I bought for my latest car were Kumho (who I hadn't heard of before) but having read reviews on them I can say that I'm impressed by their quality/price ratio. They handle well on windy roads and good on motorways runs, only thing I have noticed is at high speeds you get a bit of road noise, but it is minimal!

i just put a new front set of 205 55 16's on my tsport alloys all for £60 and they were goodyear efficent grips, and so far soo good. i tend to go for reputable makes as ive heard bad stuff aboout cheap tyres

• 3 months later...

Hi folks,

Just wanted to give you an update. I ended up (after much reading around) going for 4 x Kumho KH1 tyres.

I have to say, I wouldn't go for them again. Road grip is pretty poor. On fast bends (for example large roundabouts), even in the dry, I can feel the tyres slipping on the road from 38mph upwards - where previously there had been no problem with my former tyres. The sound and comfort are not too good either. I guess I'm stuck with them for another couple of years, but I'll probably be going back to Dunlops or Michelins!

Stay safe,

WP

Sorry to hear about that, that is the bad thing about tyres someone may rave about them and you may buy them and find out they are terrible.

One tyre in essex may perform differently to the same tyre in cornwall, bad analogy i know lol.