Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tundra Brake Problems

jceecov

I have a 2000 Tundra SR5. I've had several sets of brake pads and rear shoes and even new rotors but I still have a shaking problem. The dealership said they did what the TSB report said to do. It fixes it for a few weeks and then it's right back to shaking. I even took it to Midas and they stopped it for a week or so then as usual right back to the shake. Does anyone have any soloutions or ideas as to what I can do.

I had my problem fixed. Yesterday I took it in to the dealership and they had an updated TSB report for the problem and they fixed it. Hopefully they finally figured out the problem and this will be the last time they have to fix it.

• 1 month later...

Regarding this brake issue :angry:

Hey Toyota members. I love my Thundra. But Toyota really screwed up this time. Ive gone thru 3 sets of brake pads and still vibrating. They did come out with a TSB (technical service bulletin) that would replace the calipers with bigger ones to obsorve the vibration. I just found out that i got to pay $2,000 for these newer calipers since the TSB only warranty's 36,000 miles/3 years. When i spoke to a master technician where i bought my, he told me that Toyota might create a recall but is proably not.

I went to www.nhtsa.dot.gov website and they said only if they get enough complaints or (god willing not) somebody has to get injured or die to make it a campaign. Has anybody else gone thru the same cr@p as i have. :huh:

i cannot understand why if there's a TSB out for your problem, you have to cover some of the costs....even if your vehicle is now out of warrenty.

id really push this with the dealer and toyota corp usa.

Yeah for some reason toyota don't like calling their troubled customers. i sent them various email, but still waiting for a reply. <_<

• 1 month later...
They did come out with a TSB (technical service bulletin) that would replace the calipers with bigger ones to obsorve the vibration. I just found out that i got to pay $2,000 for these newer calipers since the TSB only warranty's 36,000 miles/3 years.

Sounds like a trip to my local junk yard is in order :)

• 4 weeks later...

I just had my 2000 Tundra fixed last week for the pulsating braking. They turned my rotors, installed larger calipers and new brake pads. The vibration is gone, but my pedal travel is excessive before I have braking. Am told that it is because the new calipers pull farther away from the rotor therefore brake pedal travel increases. In my mind, this is unacceptable - anyone else experience this as well when the TSB work was done? They are seeing if a higher capacity master cylinder would work to solve the problem, but my thought is that a higher flow master cylinder will negatively impact the ability to modulate the brake forces.

Any help?!?!?!?

• 2 weeks later...

I too have the vibration problem. I urge everyone to post to the www.nhtsa.dot.gov website.

I have 52k miles on the truck and I am the second owner. I have finally convinced the dealer to call Toyota and Toyota is footing the bill for the parts. I will have to pay labor of $470 to solve the problem. Normal cost is $1700.

I will do this, then mount a campaign to get this problem issued as a recall. Once it is a recall, we should all be refunded any money that we have spent on brake repairs. The more people who post their problem, the quicker we will get the recall.

Here is a list of 81 complaint numbers. I went through these manually and these all mention vibration in the braking system.

566414 722135* 725801* 733474 739412 741099 742504 747783 747799 747802

747812 747815 747856 747859 747957 748143 748274 749042 749623 750085

751434 751551 751920 752164 752286 752739 752954 753085 753123 753140

753149 753155 753161 758565 761583 761833 763426 764214 764502 764958

767217 767230 767230 767332 767551 767755 767802 768683 785848 876163

877876 878199 879056 889900 890452 891102 894413 895595 898132 8001404

8001405 8004531 8012641 8015166 8015336 8015783 8019793 8020132

8023285 8023731 9003696 9005100 10008294 10008537 10008997 10014041

10016493 10017735 10018348 10018539 10018678 10020562

I have a 2000 Tundra 4X4 Limited TRD. I was also plagued by the pulsating brake syndrome. With less than 200 miles left on my 36K warranty, the dealership did not hesitate confirming my problem. They replaced the calipers, wheel bearings, seals, and turned the rotors, NOT A PENNY cost to me. IThe truck just turned over 50K, and the brakes are still working fine.

However, I have had another more perplexing problem that started even before the brake issue. When I pull up to a complate stop light, within about 15-20 seconds I experience a "thump" feeling exactly as if someone behind me had rolled forward and lightly nudged my rear bumper. I've taken the truck to the dealer twice regarding this complaint, but as luck would have it, I have not been able to make the truck duplicate this problem. From an inside source, I know it is potentially a very serious problem that is very common and finally result in total transmission failure. When it duplicates for them, they will act on it, but not before. The service manager is presently trying to pass it off a the driveline spline needing lubrication. However my inside source says NO WAY. You are suffering a typical problem with the 2000 trucks, well known to all Toyota dealership shop people.

Sadly it appears they may be trying to cause delays in order to run the troubled Tundras out of warranty, with false "theories" like dry driveline splines causing a bind that suddenly releases, causing the thump. I will post more on this worrisome issue as this saga unfolds.

I too went through severla pairs of front pads. My 2000 Tundra has about 41K on it. Took it to my local Toyota dealer and they will be installing new calipers, new rear drums and "various other parts". Hmm, I wonder what other parts they may be?

In any event the service manager said it will not cost me a dime. I am not sure why some of the posters are being charged and I am not......

there have been 7 brake related TSB's applicable to the 2000 model.

BR001-03 FRONT BRAKE COMPONENT IDENTIFICATION - informative

BR004-02 FRONT BRAKE VIBRATION - fix

BR003-02 REAR BRAKE VIBRATION -fix

BR001-01 REAR BRAKE VIBRATION - fix - Updates BR006-00

BR006-00 REAR BRAKE VIBRATION - fix

BR004-00 BRAKE PAD CLICKING NOISE -fix

BR003-00 FRONT BRAKE VIBRATION - fix

there have been 7 brake related TSB's applicable to the 2000 model.

BR001-03 FRONT BRAKE COMPONENT IDENTIFICATION - informative

BR004-02 FRONT BRAKE VIBRATION - fix

BR003-02 REAR BRAKE VIBRATION -fix

BR001-01 REAR BRAKE VIBRATION - fix - Updates BR006-00

BR006-00 REAR BRAKE VIBRATION - fix

BR004-00 BRAKE PAD CLICKING NOISE -fix

BR003-00 FRONT BRAKE VIBRATION - fix

For all those of you with Tundra brake problems - thank you for your message traffic. I am new to this web site and because of everyone's input I saved a ton of money! I just had my Tundra inspected at the dealer and they are also replacing my rotars, pads, bearings, seals, and installing larger calipers - all at no cost to me! I guess the key to getting this done is having warped rotars. If you are only having slight vibration, squeaking, etc., wait until you are certain your rotars are warpped before going in. Also, make sure you don't exceed the warranty mileage/date. Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2000 Tundra Limited 4x4 and have the brake vibration too. I had my rotors turned and that helped for a while, but they're getting worse again. Also, be on the lookout for "growling"noises in the front end. I thought my tires were getting louder, but it turned out to be a wheel bearing. I've only got 65,000 on it too!

Thanks to everyone else who replied to your problem. :ffs:

I had problems with the brakes on my '92 Toyota 4x4. The problem was if I pumped the brakes even slightly, the pedal goes to the floor. The dealer said it is normal. At least they fixed the head gasket on the V6 @ no charge under warranty.

I've seen numerous complaints about the Tundra brakes on the web.

I think I'll stick with my LandCruiser.

:O)

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 1996 4Runner and I have noticed that it vibrates when I brake hard. You can feel it in the steering wheel. It only has about 70,000 miles on it. Brake pads are ok.

• 2 weeks later...
I have a 2000 Tundra 4X4 Limited TRD. I was also plagued by the pulsating brake syndrome. With less than 200 miles left on my 36K warranty, the dealership did not hesitate confirming my problem. They replaced the calipers, wheel bearings, seals, and turned the rotors, NOT A PENNY cost to me. IThe truck just turned over 50K, and the brakes are still working fine.

However, I have had another more perplexing problem that started even before the brake issue. When I pull up to a complate stop light, within about 15-20 seconds I experience a "thump" feeling exactly as if someone behind me had rolled forward and lightly nudged my rear bumper. I've taken the truck to the dealer twice regarding this complaint, but as luck would have it, I have not been able to make the truck duplicate this problem. From an inside source, I know it is potentially a very serious problem that is very common and finally result in total transmission failure. When it duplicates for them, they will act on it, but not before. The service manager is presently trying to pass it off a the driveline spline needing lubrication. However my inside source says NO WAY. You are suffering a typical problem with the 2000 trucks, well known to all Toyota dealership shop people.

Sadly it appears they may be trying to cause delays in order to run the troubled Tundras out of warranty, with false "theories" like dry driveline splines causing a bind that suddenly releases, causing the thump. I will post more on this worrisome issue as this saga unfolds.

it is driveline bind. almost every toyota truck will experience it at one point in its lifetime. on some it just goes away, others it never goes away.

i have 24,000 miles on my 2002 ext. lmt tundra. i was going downt he cuesta grade on the freeway 101 in california......when i applied the brakes my truck started shaking like a 9.0 earthquake. it was very serious. i almost lost control.....i could have died. i took my tundra to the dealership and they worked on it for 2 days. my brakes only shook when i was going downhill. they worked fine when i was driving around town. it turns out that my breaking system was bad, and toyota replaced the whole system. even though the tundra has these breaking problems, i still love it. it's the best car/truck i've ever had.

peace out late tundra owners

I have recently been experiencing the Shaking Brakes on my 2000 Model. Called the dealer to discuss and seems this is only covered by Toyota as long as you are under the 36K miles or 36 months. I have just passed the 36K miles and the dealer is going to check on "goodwill" to see if he can get it covered.

Any of you try going to another dealer after being told no repair by the first dealer? Just curious if going from dealer to dealer will help or not. IF you have had any luck please let me know.

THanks in advance.

-RSmith :

It's worth a shot. Depending on who you talk to at the dealer your results will vary. Like I mentioned above, I ended up paying just the $470 for labor on mine after having a couple of other folks at the same dealer shoot me down completely. I have since forwarded the bill to Toyota on the outside chance that they will reimburse a long-time customer. If not, I'll be happy to go back to being a Honda customer and buy my future trucks from Ford. The way Toyota is handling this completely pisses me off.

I have a 2000 Tundra SR5 and was experiencing the same pulsating brake problem many others have. I am the second owner of this vehicle and has 30K miles on it. 36 month period expired last March '03. I took it into dealer and they replaced front wheel bearings, calipers, and rotors as well as the rear drums and shoes without blinking an eye. Needless to say, I'm very happy with my outcome. I live in Tucson. DG

• 4 months later...

I also have a Tundra problem. My 200 feels as if it hesitates to shift and when it finally does, it shifts very hard. It shakes the whole tranny and I can feel it on the floorboard. Anybody else feel my pain???

• 1 month later...

1-9-04

I have a 2000 Tundra 4WD, and have been experiencing the brake vibration problem for years. I just took the truck, which has 67,000 miles, to the dealership from which I bought it, and they did a complete brake replacement for free. (I only had to leanon 'em a LITTLE!)

The work order refers TSB BR2004, and refers to the fix as a FAC WARRANTY!

The fix included front wheel bearings, backing plate, disks, calipers, and pads, as well as the rear drums and shoes.

One of the service reps told me that the original Tundra was equipped with TACOMA brakes, and that the fix I got basicly involves replacing the system with brakes from the larger Land Cruiser.

This change has been incorporated, I am told, in all newer Tundra/Sequoia vehicles.

It is obvious that Toyota is well aware that they have a problem with early production Tundras. The reason some owners are being treated well while some seem to be not is a real mystery.

Hope you all find this info useful.

Now -- I have developed an intermittant loud "clunk" when I shift out of 4WD...

Any ideas??

akw

I have a 2002 Tundra with 37,000 miles. By 25,000 mi it had already gone through 3 sets of brake pads and one set of rotors. Before the new rotors it developed a strong vibration when braking while going down hill. I took it in for servicing this week, pretty sure it had ripped through another set of brake pads. My technician called me a couple of hours after dropping it off and said they were going to replace the brake system "complimentary". For those of you that want specific info that might help you get yours fixed, here's what my invoice says:

Concern 43: Guest states she feels a pulsation in steering wheel when brakes are applied.

Cause: Rear drums warped.

Correction: Replace rear drums and self adjusters as per TSB BR0006-00

Concern 44: Guest states she feels a pulsation in break pedal wheel when brakes are applied.

Cause: Front rotors warped.

Correction: Replace front rotors, calipers, pads and misc. hardware as per TSB BR0004-02

When I asked the tech why this was necessary, he said that the original brakes were undersized for a full-size truck.

I hope this helps someone!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links