Do Not Sell My Personal Information

18 Inch Wheels Toyota Iq

n19wty

After looking for some much needed advice on if I should fit 18 inch wheel fitment for my IQ 1 :help:

I thought Id best just buy them and do it myself. (Inspired by gazoo racing kit)

post-98082-128296911279_thumb.jpg

As you can see from the Pics they sit just fine on my 18 inch inovit rims. They are 18x 7.5 4x100 with a et38 offset. I have them on nankang tyres 215/35/18

as you can see there is plenty of room around the arches, it comfortably turns for a full circle cut on the steering, no touching/rubbing of tyres.I have not had the IQ lowered and neither shall I,as I feel there is no need with the 18 inch shoes.

post-98082-128296955486_thumb.jpg

The tyres have reinforced walls I have the front at 35 psi and the back at 33 psi. There is a little bit of road noise and it rides with comfort and off course handles corners far more easily now.

Before these wheels I had the standard 15 inch wheels (175/65/15) i was averaging around 53-54MPG now I average around 51-52MPG - but lets be honest the toyota Iq does not really live up to its average 65mpg claim. Anything above 50mpg local normal driving is fine.

Anyhow I hope the pics and the advice on the 18inch alloys helps swing those who are in a dilemma like myself, because 17inch just dont cut it for me,go for the 18 you will not be dissapointed!!! :yahoo:

post-98082-128296998495_thumb.jpg

Hmm maybe a 20-25mm drop wouldn't hurt...

I am considering a black rear bumper spoiler, can't seem to find anything out there that looks good and in black??? Any suggestions?

I am pretty certain that such large wheels on a car as small as that will cripple the handling if not slightly.

And yes, lowering it will really help it out when it comes to looks!

On the topic of handling however, why not Shell out a few extra £££ to get light-weight wheels?

Cripple would be a strong word, yes it's slightly changed more firm but nothing detrimental, the inovit Apis wheels are fairly lightweight, again easy to live with and clean :)

Cripple would be a strong word, yes it's slightly changed more firm but nothing detrimental, the inovit Apis wheels are fairly lightweight, again easy to live with and clean :)

Fair enough, I would've thought it would affect it far more due to its size but hey, better for you I guess! :yes:

Nice looking wheels.

One question though. Why are you running your tyres inflate so high? Due to the nature of the tyre construction and the weight/performance of the IQ, you are running the tyres about 10psi too high.

All you will end up doing is wear out the centre tread of your expensive tyres. It will also have a detrimental effect on the handling, as the tyre will not work correctly. Have you driven it i the wet yet? It must understeer like crazy.

I was advised by the garage to have them at this, as they are reinforced I was told they can take the extra pressure. Too be honest I've driven it in the few dry days we have had and have mainly driven it in the wet (thanks to our summer weather) and they have handled fine, for what it's worth I will experiment at less psi; see how it goes...

• 3 weeks later...

After looking for some much needed advice on if I should fit 18 inch wheel fitment for my IQ 1 :help:

I thought Id best just buy them and do it myself. (Inspired by gazoo racing kit)

post-98082-128296911279_thumb.jpg

As you can see from the Pics they sit just fine on my 18 inch inovit rims. They are 18x 7.5 4x100 with a et38 offset. I have them on nankang tyres 215/35/18

as you can see there is plenty of room around the arches, it comfortably turns for a full circle cut on the steering, no touching/rubbing of tyres.I have not had the IQ lowered and neither shall I,as I feel there is no need with the 18 inch shoes.

post-98082-128296955486_thumb.jpg

The tyres have reinforced walls I have the front at 35 psi and the back at 33 psi. There is a little bit of road noise and it rides with comfort and off course handles corners far more easily now.

Before these wheels I had the standard 15 inch wheels (175/65/15) i was averaging around 53-54MPG now I average around 51-52MPG - but lets be honest the toyota Iq does not really live up to its average 65mpg claim. Anything above 50mpg local normal driving is fine.

Anyhow I hope the pics and the advice on the 18inch alloys helps swing those who are in a dilemma like myself, because 17inch just dont cut it for me,go for the 18 you will not be dissapointed!!! :yahoo:

post-98082-128296998495_thumb.jpg

hi nice wheels

do you have contact number or please call me on 01224 704978 i wish to get 18in wheels for my iq just need to ask your advice please

mr ben

• 8 months later...

hi i want to install to my iq same diameters wheels and some mechanic told me that i will destroy axles and gearbox .... Have you heard anything about this ?thank you

Did the mechanic give a reason for him having that opinion?

(did he say 'added stress'/'possible failure' on wheel bearings??)

The 215/35/18 might be exactly the same rolling radius as the standard 175/65/15,

if not very slightly smaller.

This will have minimum effect on the gearing.

(the on paper or compared to each other size was why the fitter might have wrongly advised to over inflate to compensate.

a very bad idea IMO)

The tyres are obviously a fair bit wider than the standard ones,

but a iQ can cope with them, 215 is not that wide.

(correct fitting of offset/back spacing of the replacement wheels is obviously most important)

Dropping the suspension with lowering springs

& using 35 section tyres might well give hard ride but should not break the suspension.

You are going to be even more careful than usual with potholes.

(your warranty is probably non void by the non standard fitment anyway)

You pays your money & make your choices,

i would ask an expert, dont believe me & possibly not just 'some' mechanic.

http://www.kouki.co.uk/utilities/visual-tyre-size-calculator

http://www.onlineconversion.com/bigger_tires.html

george

thanx my friend i want to know exactly the dimension of wheels and offsets in front and back if you do not mind . when you turn full the steering wheel to right or to left wheels do not touch the body or engine bay right ? sorry about so many questions but i want to be sure before put some 18 is :)

Sorry but cant understand what more you need, its all in the thread,

there are pictures of the wheels tyres fitted in the OP & the dimensions of the wheels and tyres.

wheels,

18" x 7.5" wide,

4x100 pcd

et 38 offset

With tyres 235/35/18, thats 235mm wide with a 35 aspect to fit 18" rims. (that a tread approx 9 1/4" wide)

Any proper wheel supplier of Toyota IQ alloy wheels can provide the correct fitment.

eg

http://www.wheelbasealloys.com

http://www.fensport.co.uk

i would not buy mail order tho, go to a supplier near to you,

& only have a wheel/tyre package fitted that works.

Personally if i was fitting larger diameter wheels i would go with 17" rims not 18",(to give myself more tyre wall,

(35 aspect/series is rather thin IMHO)

any wider tyres than standard can always have issues,

but thats you decision, & others that have fitted have said there are no fitting problems.

george

Will look much better if u lower it

I like it as it is. He might get problems with rubbing if he does.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone

I'm new to toyota ownership. Just bought an IQ 2 auto. I just fell in love with it on the forecourt. Its a 59 and has the satnav etc. The first thing I did,because I had been looking on the forum a few weeks ago was to change the wheels and tyres for 18" and 215x35. It just so makes the car stand out. Will put a pic up when i get to a pc as this is sent from my phone. Mr Ben. Could you tell me where you got your corners vinyl wrapped or did you do it yourself?also the wavey door protectors, are the stick on mouldings or just design. i notice the Mr T version is a different shape. Again hello everyone

David

Hi everyone

Thought you might like to see my my new IQ 2 with 18inch 215x35 tyres. Lowering it by 35mm tomorrow.

Davidpost-109788-0-00902500-1308672013_thumb.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone

Thought you might like to see my my new IQ 2 with 18inch 215x35 tyres. Lowering it by 35mm tomorrow.

Davidpost-109788-0-00902500-1308672013_thumb.

Pretty sure I saw you this morning - wheels are looking good, better in the flesh.

Dan