Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2003 D4D Egr Clean

Rossi46

I decided to tackle my 2003 D4D EGR valve today, after my MPG has dropped from 55MPG to about 45MPG over the last month or so.

I wouldn't say i've noticed a drop in power, as there's never really been any to start with.

After trying a few remedies (checking tyre pressures, new air filter, fuel system cleaner) I decided to go for it as nothing made a difference, after reading a few posts on here.

There are a few posts about the EGR, and one is very good but is for the later engine (mine is the gutless 116BHP 2.0 D)

I decided to try and sort it today and it's much more fiddly than the newer EGR valve location.

Anyway, I hope the piccies are of some help to someone, they would have helped me.

The 1st pic shows the EGR valve location when viewed from the passenger side, with the engine cover and airbox removed.

egrvalve.jpg

This 2nd pic is with the plastic engine cover removed and airbox hose, cover and filter removed. By taking the airbox out access was possible.

After taking the air filter cover and air filter out, 3 bolts are exposed (12mm Heads) undo these and remove the airbox.

DSCF5067-1600-1.jpg

To remove the EGR itself, there are two 12mm nuts and one 12mm bolt holding it on. There are also 2 coolant pipes which I removed (held on by hose clips) which just seem to be for cooling the EGR valve, as one is an input to the housing and the other is the output. Some water came out, so try and keep the hose as high as you can or bung the hose.

The 2 retaining nuts are either side of the EGR valve and the bolt is at the bottom and you'll have to feel for it, as it's not visible from above.

There is also an electrical connector, which operates the valve.

I've pictured the EGR valve removed and the hole it left, for clarity.

DSCF5078-1600.jpg

DSCF5075-1600.jpg

To be honest, although it was fairly dirty inside, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but (seeing as the car now has 136000 miles on it) I cleaned the EGR using brake cleaner and a toothbrush and manually exercised the valve.

DSCF5077-1600.jpg

I put it all back together and whilst I was at it decided to clean the MAF sensor with alchohol cleaner spray.

DSCF5085-1600.jpg

Anyway i've got a few more pictures if anyone needs any more detail.

I'll report back when i've drove the car next week, to see if it's any better.

If anything i've written doesn't make sense, please feel free to correct me.

Sorry to go on but hopefully this will help someone, as there doesn't seem to be much info about the earlier D4d EGR valves.

• Like 3

Just an update...

My car is now averaging 54.5 MPG and rising over the last 400 miles (on the display), where previously 43-45 was about the most I had been getting.

I'm happy and i'm going to do an oil change soon, which will hopefully give me a few more MPG back.

It feels much sharper and cleaner, which makes it easier to make good progress.

Result :thumbsup:

Just an update...

My car is now averaging 54.5 MPG and rising over the last 400 miles (on the display), where previously 43-45 was about the most I had been getting.

I'm happy and i'm going to do an oil change soon, which will hopefully give me a few more MPG back.

Job was worth doing so well done mate and the photos were good, they should help someone out in the future.

Regards Pete.;)

Many thanks for the info as have been thinking about doing mine for ages but have not due to lack of info!

That is now remedied thanks to these pics!

Cheers

David

Just an update...

Cheers Pete

That's why I did it, hopefully someone will be able to save some cash and the piccies should make the job less daunting.

Regards, Adz

Many thanks for the info as have been thinking about doing mine for ages but have not due to lack of info!

That is now remedied thanks to these pics!

Cheers

David

Good stuff

Hope it works for you David

Cheers

Adz

In the second from last photo, the section of that part nearest your hand looks cracked...?

Is it?

No, it's a bit of frayed material from the fleece I was wearing .

Good spot though :thumbsup:

In the second from last photo, the section of that part nearest your hand looks cracked...?

Is it?

No, it's a bit of frayed material from the fleece I was wearing .

Good spot though :thumbsup:

some crack.

• 2 months later...

I decided to tackle my 2003 D4D EGR valve today, after my MPG has dropped from 55MPG to about 45MPG over the last month or so.

I wouldn't say i've noticed a drop in power, as there's never really been any to start with.

After trying a few remedies (checking tyre pressures, new air filter, fuel system cleaner) I decided to go for it as nothing made a difference, after reading a few posts on here.

There are a few posts about the EGR, and one is very good but is for the later engine (mine is the gutless 116BHP 2.0 D)

I decided to try and sort it today and it's much more fiddly than the newer EGR valve location.

Anyway, I hope the piccies are of some help to someone, they would have helped me.

The 1st pic shows the EGR valve location when viewed from the passenger side, with the engine cover and airbox removed.

egrvalve.jpg

This 2nd pic is with the plastic engine cover removed and airbox hose, cover and filter removed. By taking the airbox out access was possible.

After taking the air filter cover and air filter out, 3 bolts are exposed (12mm Heads) undo these and remove the airbox.

DSCF5067-1600-1.jpg

To remove the EGR itself, there are two 12mm nuts and one 12mm bolt holding it on. There are also 2 coolant pipes which I removed (held on by hose clips) which just seem to be for cooling the EGR valve, as one is an input to the housing and the other is the output. Some water came out, so try and keep the hose as high as you can or bung the hose.

The 2 retaining nuts are either side of the EGR valve and the bolt is at the bottom and you'll have to feel for it, as it's not visible from above.

There is also an electrical connector, which operates the valve.

I've pictured the EGR valve removed and the hole it left, for clarity.

DSCF5078-1600.jpg

DSCF5075-1600.jpg

To be honest, although it was fairly dirty inside, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but (seeing as the car now has 136000 miles on it) I cleaned the EGR using brake cleaner and a toothbrush and manually exercised the valve.

DSCF5077-1600.jpg

I put it all back together and whilst I was at it decided to clean the MAF sensor with alchohol cleaner spray.

DSCF5085-1600.jpg

Anyway i've got a few more pictures if anyone needs any more detail.

I'll report back when i've drove the car next week, to see if it's any better.

If anything i've written doesn't make sense, please feel free to correct me.

Sorry to go on but hopefully this will help someone, as there doesn't seem to be much info about the earlier D4d EGR valves.

Thats a fab bit of info! So much better to see pic's of how its done. Have you got any on how to change the fuel filter by any chance?

Sorry, no info on the fuel filter.

No probs... I might have a go at it this wekend and take some pics! Thats if this snow stops at some point...

i have a avensis 2003 53 plate t spirit D4D , i would like to clean the EGR valve but not sure where it is , in a another discussion it is showing next to the radiator cap?? and also on the manual it says there 2 egr solenoid valves i am all confused ???? which one should i clean ???

i have a avensis 2003 53 plate t spirit D4D , i would like to clean the EGR valve but not sure where it is , in a another discussion it is showing next to the radiator cap?? and also on the manual it says there 2 egr solenoid valves i am all confused ???? which one should i clean ???

Hi mate your car is exactly the same as Rossi46's who supplied the photos and words so just follow his instructions and you can't really go wrong. The later 2.0/2.2 d4d has the EGR at the front of the engine but your 53 plate it is on the right hand side like Rossi46.:yes:

Pete.

thanks pete, no problem with my car , is it worth cleaning ?? or will i just create problems

Might be worth putting some Forte Advanced Diesel Clean in your tank. This should help clean it as you drive, and also lube the fuel pump. You can get it off eBay for £19.50 for 2 bottles. I bought some off this seller. Item number-230556722818

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

A stupid question: where is this MAF sensor located?

Thanks!

It can be cleaned with this a product called CRC AIR SENSOR CLEAN MASS AIR FLOW CLEANER (eBay Item number: 280588955113) I wouldn't use anything like Carb cleaner, as it could damage the plasic housing. Gonna do mine on Sat morning along with the EGR valve. :jawdrop:

my problem has come back this morning travelling to work just i as i was accelerating onto the motorway my engine fault light came on and i lost all power on my accellater pedal, pulled up on the hard shoulder turned engine on/off all was ok . this happened to me 2 weeks ago but i managed to do 700miles before it happened again, last tiome i put it on scanner it showed fault 1251 whic was unkown fault...

where do i start egr valve ?? trubo? fuel filter? ????

please help

Error P1251 is a turbo overboost condition, and is stored together with a couple of other DTCs and a Freeze Frame which contains some more clues.

When an overboost condition is detected for longer than 0.5 second or an overboost against a reference charge, the ECM switches instantly into limp mode, to protect against damage.

You really need the diagnostics guide for the trouble flowcharts on this, as this (these) error(s) can have a number of different causes and are found by elimination.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mate,

v useful post of egr cleaning. can you send all the photos of egr cleaning to me on

also which is maf sensor in your last photo?

thanks.

Hi Mate,

v useful post of egr cleaning. can you send all the photos of egr cleaning to me on

makkan00@yahoo.co.uk

thanks.

Hi mate if you can't get the pictures sent to you just download a free program called "Screenhunterfree 5.1" from the web this can capture anything that is shown on your PC screen, it then saves it to a location of your choice as a .jpeg file.;).

Regards Pete.

Hi Mate,

makkan00@yahoo.co.uk

thanks.

Hi mate if you can't get the pictures sent to you just download a free program called "Screenhunterfree 5.1" from the web this can capture anything that is shown on your PC screen, it then saves it to a location of your choice as a .jpeg file.;).

Regards Pete.

good info pete. This pics are brilliant and since OP mentioned if somebody need additional photos. So looking for them.

Can somebody tell me, do we need any gasket when cleaning and returning egr vavle on 2.0 D-4D 03?

Cheers.

... do we need any gasket when cleaning and returning egr vavle...

Yes, all gaskets are non-reusable parts.