Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2003 D4D Egr Clean

Rossi46

Thanks a lot for this great tutorial. Had a problem with loss of power when car is warm, and people in this forum suggested MAP sensor, EGR and SCVs. I used your pictures to clean the Egr, and everything went back to normal:-) Or, maybe it even respond better than before. Very saticfied!

Erik :thumbsup:

The original post from Rossi46 should be pinned to the Avensis forum home page :yes:.

Pete.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys, since I too would like to do the job of cleaning the EGR I would like to know if the three bolts are very hard to undo ..

between the EGR and the engine is a seal .. I understand this to be replaced? what material it is?

It is a very good thread and out of genuine interest I`d love to compare EGRs after being fuelled on nothing but V-Power or Ultimate diesels.

Well Dave I run on 100% Shell V-power and have had 3 new EGR valves. last two changed under parts warrenty as went under a year apart. (about 25-30,000 miles) Both did go very close after a Toyota service!

Well Dave I run on 100% Shell V-power and have had 3 new EGR valves. last two changed under parts warrenty as went under a year apart. (about 25-30,000 miles) Both did go very close after a Toyota service!

Well Iwas going to say that answers that but I can`t help feeling the might be another underlying reason for your car to go through so many EGRs. :unsure:

I have asked the question to Toyota and await response why I've had last two fail so quickly. First one was replaced at 117,000 after clean out at 84,000 miles. Then failed at 125,338 replaced and last week at 150,613 replaced. I've had one injector replaced at 124,154 and 150,000 service 5 days before last one went. Last two gone close to Mr T working on car!

Still love my T180 Tourer.

I have asked the question to Toyota and await response why I've had last two fail so quickly.

Do they know the answers you reckon ?

Hello everybody!

I'm having smoke issues with my 1999 D4d Avensis . I am trying to locate Egr valve . Could you help?

The car is the previous model from the one shown at t-spiritpete's avatar...

I have just had a new EGR valve on a 2003 DVD T Spirit Diesel Avensis. It has done 111K. Runs better but still loses power when I put my foot down - and engine warning light comes on, plus "VSC "TRC Off".

Any advice on possible next steps would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Matt

• 1 month later...

hi all just wondering ,alll my probs are same as egr ones ,just wonering shud i be getting an engine management light ,because of this problem ?? tks

• 2 months later...

Hi all! I'm having troubles with my 05 avensis 2.2 d4d (2AD-FTV): (the engine light on,vsc on,trc off and no power from turbo!!!) the dealer came up with the code P0488 and said the throttle body need replaced (1000.00 pounds). The EGR valve was cleaned just 2 months ago. any idea how to fix this problem? Thanks in advance!

Ps: please excuse my bad english, it is not my primary language.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

hi all just wondering ,alll my probs are same as egr ones ,just wonering shud i be getting an engine management light ,because of this problem ?? tks

No, you won't get an engine management light for this one, coz the EGR is mechanical and the build-up of carbon inside it %$(s it up. Your problem could also relate to dodgey diesel...??

I decided to tackle my 2003 D4D EGR valve today, after my MPG has dropped from 55MPG to about 45MPG over the last month or so......

I as there doesn't seem to be much info about the earlier D4d EGR valves.

Rossi46...Thanks a million mate for this post and pics!! You got me out of a hole. I have a Haynes manual for the d4d and even the pics for locating the egr on that were crap, with vague instructions. So thanks for the time and effort, mate. I did mine yesterday, thanks to your pics and advice. Otherwise I would have been afraid to go near it. ;)

Hi all,

I just want to say... be wary of where you buy your diesel these days! There is a lot of "washed" diesel and agricultural diesel being used as normal diesel at some filling stations. The consequences are obvious!

The Avensis D4D is a common rail diesel engine. These have to run on high grade diesel. Otherwise, you have problems with your injectors, your EGR valve, your fuel injection pump. your fuel filter, lack of power, smokey exhausts, etc.

So, just watch yourselves when you are filling up. Go to a decent garage. And you will get better MPG also when you use decent diesel.

• 4 weeks later...

My car is losing power at motorway speed, if I drop a gear I'll get some black smoke and I'm back again. Sounds like a dirty egr too?

Car had been worked on last week, so is due to go back on monday to get the egr checked (will be free as only happened after, and he's a mate of mine).

Should I do it myself over the weekend, or let the pro's fix it?

I'm a bit concerned about the gasket thing.

A egr valve fault will throw an orange eml.

With fault code P04**. Incorrect air flow detected.

Hi Guys

problem with Avensis D4D 2003 was coming back from london on motorway at night and the car started dropping speed as the service station was only a mile away i drove it there lot off black smoke i called the AA who said the EGR valve had gone my question does it need cleaning or does it need replacing at cost off £266 from dealers Thanks

Easiest thing would be to clean it first, such an easy job that may well save you over 250£

Easiest thing would be to clean it first, such an easy job that may well save you over 250£

i got it cleaned and much beter then before also took it onto motorway running fine. is there any stuff i can put in the fuel tank to get rid off any other crap. also i think i stick to BP and Shell for diesel from now on

Just wanted to say.... Big thumbs up for this thread!

Toyota wanted £280 + Vat for this job......

Followed the guide exactly on my 2004 2.0 D-Cat, and although my EGR looks slightly different the instructions were exactly the same.

Thanks again!

Gutted :crybaby: :crybaby:

Have followed the EGR cleaning guide and still have the problem. No power and engine will not rev over 3000 rpm. Although the black smoke has gone.

I have also replaced the fuel filter.

Should I clean the valve again ?

Or resign myself to taking car to dealer for a check up and a big hit to the wallet ?

Typical luck for me, I never have an easy fix :angry2:

I'm totally lost and its breaking my heart. Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been suffering the same symptoms in the same car with 120000 miles on. I tried following the very helpful illustrated instructions but had to withdraw when I got to the bottom bolt of the EGR valve. I could certainly feel it but couldn't confidently get a socket onto it, not to the point that I'd feel confident about reassembly. Pipes and cables obstructed clear access.

I'm not a scardey cat, I've done my own maintenance on cars and bikes for 30 years, but I like to feel confident about the procedure. The illustrations were very helpful and I'll try again. Mind you, the top left bolt in my case was a bit different. I had to remove the EGR coolant pipe BEFORE I could get a socket onto it then it and the other nut came off easy. It's just that bottom bolt. I can't get a tool onto it and don't want to f**k about.

Meantime, I noticed my air filter needs changed and I've put another bottle of cleaner fluid through her with nice fresh high quality diesel. Maybe that will help but I'll revisit this. hate being stumped by something like this. If only I had a Haynes manual!

cheers

Get a can of BG244 and put it in your fuel tank! It might just sort it out!...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links