Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help And Advice On Changing Spark Plugs

davidisom

Hi, Have just purchased the above for my newly acquired RAV4 4.3 XT5.

Took cover plate off and removed one of the leads. The Spark plug itself is a long way down!

a. What tools do I need to change them?

b. I do not have a socket set and was going to buy one from Halfords but am a bit worried whether I need anything special to remove the plugs.

Thanks

David

You need a socket set (one that includes a long extension) and a 10mm plug socket. You should be able to get both from a decent accessory shop.

Anchorman posted his reply as I was writing this :thumbsup:

Halfords also sell a special long spark plug socket. Its about 24.5cm long, 2cm diameter and it has a magnet fitted in the socket end to hold the plug. (Its a 3/8 socket)

The only negative is the price £12.

Removing the plugs is easy, just make sure the engine is cold.

When replacing the plugs it is best practice to have a torque wrench.

Alternatively plug manufactures normally say something like, hand tighten then turn a further 1/2 turn.

For your exact torque/tightening instructions visit the plug manufacturers website.

I have recently found Amazon a very convenient gateway to quality tools suppliers, often much cheaper than Halfords.

If you do buy some sockets get a recognised make (Halfords , Draper etc) some of the cheap "no makes" have a habit of cracking or exploding under high load. 1/2 inch sockets are generally best for the car, you can get 1/2 inch to 3/8 adapters for the special spark plug socket. Some bigger expensive sets have a mix of 1/2 3/8 and 1/4 inch sockets and wrenches. A couple of times a year Halfords have massive discounts on their very large professional sets.

How many miles do you have on your XT5? Toyota says the Iridium plugs don't need to be changed until 120,000 miles! I've heard from other owners who have removed the plugs at 100,000 miles and report they look pristine.

How many miles do you have on your XT5? Toyota says the iridium plugs don't need to be changed until 120,000 miles! I've heard from other owners who have removed the plugs at 100,000 miles and report they look pristine.

JuSt 13500 miles! in just under 4 years. I am changing to high power IK20 from the standard as I have read that they improve the performance of the car slightly and also can improve fuel consumption. I am down grading from a very expensive (over 74K) 4.6 Litres V8 Petrol so am doing anything I can to get the best from the engine I have without doing it any harm. I think I will keep the old plugs must in case I find the others not to be suitable.

David

Halfords also sell a special long spark plug socket. Its about 24.5cm long, 2cm diameter and it has a magnet fitted in the socket end to hold the plug. (Its a 3/8 socket)

Alternatively plug manufactures normally say something like, hand tighten then turn a further 1/2 turn.

For your exact torque/tightening instructions visit the plug manufacturers website.

I have recently found Amazon a very convenient gateway to quality tools suppliers, often much cheaper than Halfords.

If you do buy some sockets get a recognised make (Halfords , Draper etc) some of the cheap "no makes" have a habit of cracking or exploding under high load. 1/2 inch sockets are generally best for the car, you can get 1/2 inch to 3/8 adapters for the special spark plug socket. Some bigger expensive sets have a mix of 1/2 3/8 and 1/4 inch sockets and wrenches. A couple of times a year Halfords have massive discounts on their very large professional sets.

Thank you for the tips. Ordered and picked up Halfords 55 piece advanced professional set at half price plus a £10 voucher to spend on anything I like. Fitted the IK20 power plugs using the new tools it was a breeze. Used the 1/4 - 1/2 turn method as I do not have a torque wrench. Also checked against how hard the olds one were in. Started 1st time will try some 99 octane with them and see how it runs and if economy is improved.

The Halfords tools are really good and the case is well made with rubber feet and chrome clips. Once again thanks for the idea. Im like this forum a lot.

David

Thank you for the tips. Ordered and picked up Halfords 55 piece advanced professional set at half price plus a £10 voucher to spend on anything I like. Fitted the IK20 power plugs using the new tools it was a breeze. Used the 1/4 - 1/2 turn method as I do ot have a torque wrench. Also checked against how hard the olds one wer in. Started 1st time will try some 99 octane with them and see how it runs and if economy is improved.

Sounds good, David! Just out of curiosity, what did the old plugs look like--still in pretty good shape?

Thank you for the tips. Ordered and picked up Halfords 55 piece advanced professional set at half price plus a £10 voucher to spend on anything I like. Fitted the IK20 power plugs using the new tools it was a breeze. Used the 1/4 - 1/2 turn method as I do ot have a torque wrench. Also checked against how hard the olds one wer in. Started 1st time will try some 99 octane with them and see how it runs and if economy is improved.

Sounds good, David! Just out of curiosity, what did the old plugs look like--still in pretty good shape?

Light oiling on threads otherwiselook prettty much as brand new.

Light oiling on threads otherwiselook prettty much as brand new.

sell them !!!

• 2 weeks later...

About 24.5cm - could you be a little more accurate please :yahoo: