Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Smart Entry And Satnav

supermart

My June 2010 Auris TR 1.6 MM has Smart Entry and Smart Start. I have a small Garmin Nuvi satnav which I need to use occasionally, generally when I am lost but it will not locate any satellites, just sits for ages trying to find signals then eventually gives up. I don't have the satnav fixed to the windscreen because the power cable has to go a long way from the power outlet beside the handbrake.

I think the satellite signals are experiencing interference from the Smart Entry sensors, does anyone know if this is likely to be a cause of the problem?

My June 2010 Auris TR 1.6 MM has Smart Entry and Smart Start. I have a small Garmin Nuvi satnav which I need to use occasionally, generally when I am lost but it will not locate any satellites, just sits for ages trying to find signals then eventually gives up. I don't have the satnav fixed to the windscreen because the power cable has to go a long way from the power outlet beside the handbrake.

I think the satellite signals are experiencing interference from the Smart Entry sensors, does anyone know if this is likely to be a cause of the problem?

I have smart entry, my tom tom works just fine but mine goes on the windscreen.

I am not sure about the new Auris's screens, but some cars with heat reflecting windscreen can block sat nav's fix on satellites.

I suggest you get a longer lead for your device and get it on the windscreen, it might just need a clear line of sight of the sky.

hi as tom tom do a special aerial for reflective screens i amm sure germin will also supply one.

but dont know if toyota fit these type of screens.

I use "proclip" which fits on the dash for my TomTom, if that's any help.

hi fancied a proclip for my tomtom 910 but its one of their models that the clip will not fit,its a lot deeper than most other models.will have to get the bean bag for the dash,screens a bit far foreward.

the smart entry sensor will not interfere with the navi.

I gather that if you have not got the navi fixed to screen, then I am guessing the navi will be low and more in the cabin, this means when it send signals from line of horizon to the sky directly above, the radio signals will encounter the door metal, the intrument panel and metal structure and engine, and the roof also metal... hence you are placing the navi in a metal cage.

I did the same and found this out.

I now have a GPS speed camera detector inside the top glovebox, (plastic upper trim does not interfere, and it has clear line through glass) , I then run a cable down the side of the glovebox all the way to footwell and then tuck it under the bottom edge of the centre console side trim until it comes out by the passenger seat and into the ciggie lighter socket.

(If I am in a busy speed camera area , I lift the lid and see the screen, otherwise I leave the lid closed and just rely on the warning sounds... works well for me.

If you are only ocassionally using the navi this could be a good solution. The cable length is around 1.5 metres.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links