Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Long Wave?

BlueValour

The radio on my T Spirit Gen 2 appears to receive MW and FM but not LW (needed for Test Match Special). Normally, searching on AM on a radio takes you from MW to LW but not this one. Am I missing a setting?

nope Gen 2 only have Am and FM, not sure about gen 3, but I would guess no for them too.

Long Wave? Isn't that what people listened to the Light Programme on during the war?

LW went out during the 1950's. Shall we grumble that the Prius doesn't have a gramophone player too?

Come on mate, the Prius is a 21 st century car. It isn't going to use obsolete technology like LW! :unsure:

Long Wave? Isn't that what people listened to the Light Programme on during the war?

LW went out during the 1950's. Shall we grumble that the Prius doesn't have a gramophone player too?

Come on mate, the Prius is a 21 st century car. It isn't going to use obsolete technology like LW! :unsure:

There is no need to be sarcastic. As I stated in my question, LW is still required to listen to Test Match Special if you car is not fitted with digital radio.

There is no need to be sarcastic. As I stated in my question, LW is still required to listen to Test Match Special if you car is not fitted with digital radio.

Now hears a question.

What do we do about Digital Radio, how will we be able to receive it?

Now hears a question.

who wants it.

Now hears a question.

There was another thread somewhere about digital radios in cars. From what I can remember the gen3 has one as an option but think the price was horrendous.... Mind you, it really is about time that digital radios became standard in cars, that's pretty much all you can buy in the shops now I think....

Yeah the digital radios are in the shops but digital radio still ONLY covers 80% of the population. Everyone knows you only have to cover the big cities to get that. Digital radio is great if you live in one of the big cities and don't intend to drive about much.

They really need to pull their finger out and increase coverage to make anyone in the remaining 20% of the population area (or 80% of the land mass) want to even consider digital radio. Unless you just listen to the radio at home you're going to need better coverage when out on the road (or train). They've been taking about introducing it in North Yorks for years, the multiplex company got the go ahead over 3 years ago including a site for the masts - and still nothing. It's pathetic. How can they run a company like this on such a shoe string? The local radio stations are even running a campaign to stay with fm (they should be on the digital multiplex if it ever gets going) as they know that digital radio will just increase their costs and reduce their listeners.

There's an old phrase that applies here - if it ain't broke, don't fix it. FM works and is adequate for most peoples use, why move to something that isn't as good? Digital radio doesn't offer the cd quality sound they promised as they compress the stations too much. Digital tv on the other hand needed to go digital to allow HD and all the other channels we now enjoy.

Rant over.

Oh, Bluevalour, I wasn't meaning to be sarcastic in a bad way hence putting a :) face at the end. Sorry if any offence taken. :unsure:

The radio on my T Spirit Gen 2 appears to receive MW and FM but not LW (needed for Test Match Special). Normally, searching on AM on a radio takes you from MW to LW but not this one. Am I missing a setting?

Apparently it is possible to pick up Radio 4 Long Wave on Medium Wave in certain parts of the country.

From the BBC website:

Medium Wave is only available in some locations: London 720; Plymouth 774; Hayle (Cornwall) 756; Newcastle 603; Carlisle 1495; Aberdeen 1449; Enniskillen 774; Derry 720; Glasgow 720

My understanding is that the Long Wave programs are broadcast on the above MW frequencies, but unfortunately none of them look like they will reach you in West Lancashire, BlueValour :(

Now hears a question.

A very good question indeed :yes:

I thought, like a few others I reckon, that FM was going to be switched off soon, and wondered what would happen to cars with only MW/FM etc. So I went looking and found an interesting article

http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/dab/fm_switch-off.htm

Looks like it will be at least 2010 and probably not even then

BlueValour: I could'nt help smiling to myself, imagining your frustration at the cricket. I think you DO need DAB :lol: I shouldnt worry too much, Cricket will get such a bad name soon that we will give up playing it and all that will be broadcast are tumble weeds blowing by :lol: :lol:

Kingo :thumbsup:

it has got to the stage anyway, that any test match scores have all turned out to be corrupt. :thumbsup:

Apparently it is possible to pick up Radio 4 Long Wave on Medium Wave in certain parts of the country.

From the BBC website:

Medium Wave is only available in some locations: London 720; Plymouth 774; Hayle (Cornwall) 756; Newcastle 603; Carlisle 1495; Aberdeen 1449; Enniskillen 774; Derry 720; Glasgow 720

My understanding is that the Long Wave programs are broadcast on the above MW frequencies, but unfortunately none of them look like they will reach you in West Lancashire, BlueValour :(

hi DrCez

we get MW here in norfolk,i listen to talksport and radio 5 live for football on sats. what about world service thats on MW pick these up in suffolk too. and in ely in cambidge.

I too miss Test Match Special.

At home I listen to it on DAB, so this morning, when my car went in for service, I asked what it would cost to have the Toyota DAB option installed.

I was quoted £500, including labour and VAT. I'm afraid that does not look like value for money.

I have considered getting a portable in-car DAB radio (Pure Highway In-car DAB). It's available on Amazon for less than £65, but I am not convinced about the tidyness of the installation etc. Has anyone here tried this option? How does it work in terms of mountiing, connecting, removing from the car etc as well as the radio functionality?

From what I know of DAB, it's fine in a major city but rubbish if you are out and about. I have grave doubts about a seperate unit being any good. Mounting and removing would be a chore too, just like your portable sat nav is

Kingo :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links