Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Rav4

DjRav

I'm looking to buy a Rav4. Just thought I'd check the forum out. Would I get a biased opinion if I asked you all if they're the best buy in the market!? I was also considering a freelander2 but I thought a Toyota would be more reliable (I've had a discovery for years and it has had it's share of "issues")

I'm looking for 06-07 (thats when the new model came out isnt it) but low miles and I'd probably go to the main dealer for the warranty etc. Any advice?

I'm looking to buy a Rav4. Just thought I'd check the forum out. Would I get a biased opinion if I asked you all if they're the best buy in the market!? I was also considering a freelander2 but I thought a Toyota would be more reliable (I've had a discovery for years and it has had it's share of "issues")

I'm looking for 06-07 (thats when the new model came out isnt it) but low miles and I'd probably go to the main dealer for the warranty etc. Any advice?

It depends what you are looking for. The Freelander 2 for some looks better and has more road presence. We very nearly purchased one over the RAV4. The Toyota by comparison is more discrete (some might even say non descript in its basic form) From a build quality point of view the toyota is head and shoulders above the Freelander. Pound for pound it is also a much better second hand buy and if you go for a top model (harder to find) but worth it as they are really quite easy to sell also. We looked at several Freeelander 2 and also RAV 4. As we do not intend to do lots of miles and also my wife only drives an auto we decided to go for a 2.0 Petrol. Having had much more expensive cars in the past I wanted to still feel cosseted so only really considered the top model XT5 the gadget rating is quite high. It took about three weeks to find the right one but we did and along the way could have found 2 more if we had been prepared to pay the dealer premium about £2000 for our model. Yuo are welocome to PM me if you have any ther questions.

We have had the RAV4 for only a fw days but are really glad we did not go for the more expensive Freelander 2 as I am sure it would have not only cost more but we would have lost more over time and also not been pleased with the build quaility.

Some say if you are loking for a Diesel that too low a mileage can be a problem I do not know for sure if this is true. It is a good time to buy right now as the new plate has and is bringing 2/3/4 years olds into the seondhand market. So lots to choose from and even possible to haggle with the dealers as thry like toi turn them over.

Good luck David

It depends what you are looking for. The Freelander 2 for some looks better and has more road presence. We very nearly purchased one over the RAV4. The Toyota by comparison is more discrete (some might even say non descript in its basic form) From a build quality point of view the toyota is head and shoulders above the Freelander. Pound for pound it is also a much better second hand buy and if you go for a top model (harder to find) but worth it as they are really quite easy to sell also. We looked at several Freeelander 2 and also RAV 4. As we do not intend to do lots of miles and also my wife only drives an auto we decided to go for a 2.0 Petrol. Having had much more expensive cars in the past I wanted to still feel cosseted so only really considered the top model XT5 the gadget rating is quite high. It took about three weeks to find the right one but we did and along the way could have found 2 more if we had been prepared to pay the dealer premium about £2000 for our model. Yuo are welocome to PM me if you have any ther questions.

We have had the RAV4 for only a fw days but are really glad we did not go for the more expensive Freelander 2 as I am sure it would have not only cost more but we would have lost more over time and also not been pleased with the build quaility.

Some say if you are loking for a Diesel that too low a mileage can be a problem I do not know for sure if this is true. It is a good time to buy right now as the new plate has and is bringing 2/3/4 years olds into the seondhand market. So lots to choose from and even possible to haggle with the dealers as thry like toi turn them over.

Good luck David

I agree with most of the above the latest freelander has great presence on the road + a certain status, one of our members who does a lot of towing changed his Rav for a freelander + last we heard he was very pleased with it.. However Land rover come very low down in any reliability surveys + Toyota and I hate to say it but Honda are always at the top.. I have had 3 Ravs spanning 13yrs and have yet to have a fault although my 02 D4D had early signs of DMF problems prior to my selling it.. The problem with forums such as this is that people tend to join them because they have a problem + are looking for advice, So you get a sometimes negative view of what is a very good vehicle.. I cannot see why a low mileage diesel should be a problem :unsure: My 07 has been fault free so far 16000mls in 3 yrs.. My black cab has done 190000mls also in 3+ yrs and considering its mileage has had few problems as well.. So i really do see both ends of the scale.. To your original question is the Rav the best buy in the market? I dont know there are now lots of contenders out there + there is a lively debate about this amongst the posts on here.. In a reader pole recently either Which or What car (can't remember) has just voted the Rav most reliable Suv :toast: hope this helps :thumbsup: Stew

Thanks for your replies (not too biased at all it seems!). As I haven't test driven one yet I'd better do that next, I just hope it's not boring! I was also looking at Honda's CRV but I think they're fairly drab. I would probably like the freelander but that's the danger, I want something that's going to last 8+ years! What are the service costs like for eg the 2.2 diesel?

I have just ordered a diesel Rav4 after many, many hours of deliberating. I had a shortlist of the Rav, the Freelander2 and the CR-V. I eventually ruled the CR-V out because of the lack of headroom in the rear, even though it is a lovely car. I ruled the Freelander2 out as there is a lot less room in the cabin than the Rav and the seats are very small, even though the Freelander2 is as most technically advanced SUV on the market, or so the salesman told me at length!

Whilst cross-checking the various cars, I asked about running costs and especially servicing charges. Honda will do a passport for 4 years around £850; Land Rover charges around £400 per service and Toyota charge £150 for years 1 and 3, £250 for year 2 and £300 for year 4, to the best of my memory! These are all-inclusive servicing costs with exception of stuff like wipers, tyres, etc..

Having checked out all three cars at length, the Rav filled all of my criteria and with the spec I ordered, came out cheapest. I was pleasantly surprised that the bartering with the sales staff at my Toyota dealer was much easier this time and I felt I got a decent deal - I'm trading in my 07 plate Avensis T180 estate against it. Whilst driving the Rav, I was pleasantly surprised with the performance against the T180, especially as a bootful of throttle on damp/slippery roads does not result in a fight with the steering wheel and no, I don't usually drive like this, I wanted to see what the 4 wheel drive would do!

Welcome to the club.

What did you order - a new RAV? As for as the 4WD system, you will only ever experience wheelslip under very low friction conditions like snow or ice. The RAV has a very clever system that ALWAYS sets off in 4WD then backs of automatically and variably as the speed increases until it is eventually in 2WD for economy. You won't get the wheels to spin like you can on Mr Avensis even facing uphill in the wet because the harder you press the accelerator the more it will lock up the transmission.

You have made a good choice and yes the LR is a very capable off roader............

.............if only they could get a grip of quality!

You are in for the time of your life when it snows. For a compact SUV, you will be amazed at what it will do.

Okay, I'm convinced. I'm going to see a couple of 07 2.2 XTR's tomorrow and have my first test drive. If I get one of them I hope I'm not here too often getting advice for it! I saw a nice T180 as well, but with the lower mpg and higher running costs (eg tyres, insurance, servicing) I'm having trouble justifying getting one, although the extras do look nice!

Okay, I'm convinced. I'm going to see a couple of 07 2.2 XTR's tomorrow and have my first test drive. If I get one of them I hope I'm not here too often getting advice for it! I saw a nice T180 as well, but with the lower mpg and higher running costs (eg tyres, insurance, servicing) I'm having trouble justifying getting one, although the extras do look nice!

Also consider XT4 higher spec than XTR + a spare wheel on the back :yes: Stew

You don't have to have problems to look in. A pretty warped sense of humour might help though!!!

Done it. Been out all day and travelled 150+ miles and put a deposit on a 57 plate Black XTR. Lovely drive, very smooth and quiet with normal driving and plenty of grunt for me(not a speed freak). Pick it up next Friday serviced, taxed and mot'd and cleaned up. Can't wait!

Done it. Been out all day and travelled 150+ miles and put a deposit on a 57 plate Black XTR. Lovely drive, very smooth and quiet with normal driving and plenty of grunt for me(not a speed freak). Pick it up next Friday serviced, taxed and mot'd and cleaned up. Can't wait!

Nice work. Don't forget the photos :thumbsup:

I would do if I could see how. Does it make any difference that I'm accessing through an iPhone? Maybe I'll have to try from a PC later.