Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Advice On Buying 97 Corolla

Tusker

I'm new to corollas and I'm going to look at a 97 GS with 116k this afternoon.

From the ad it sounds good - private sale, looks clean. But are there any particular things I should check outwhen I see it?

Plenty probably on a car that age.

Check the brakes pads and discs for wear and when driving under braking make sure there is no juddering so you should have no warped discs.

Check the handbrake is ok. All the toyotas I have had have had high finishing positions this should not be an issue as long as it is holding ok.

Check the condition of the radiator, not sure if it is the same with these but on the same year carina's I have had they dont last long they end up battered to bits. Also check all the hoses for wear.

Make sure it starts ok. Battery might be on its way out. Try to find out when it was changed last.

Can't think of anything else at the moment, you will probably have some wear and tear on the parts, to be expected on a car this age, try and see if there is any service history or receipts for the work that has been done.

All the usual car stuff.

Cant think of any real problems with My Corolla apart from an annoying rattly heat shield above the CAT and a very slight oil leak on the front left of the rocker cover.

If your new to car buying I can write a general car buyers guide if there isnt one hear already, if your not then you`ll know what to look out for.

Thanks for your advice. Would you believe that the owner thought all you had to do to a car was get it MOTd every year. He thought servicing was a hobby for people who where keen on cars! Gave it a big miss.