Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 With Hiccups

shakiratherav

Hi there all posting on behalf of my wife as she needs some help with her 2005 d4d rav it has done 110000 miles and recently developed a stutter this developed into major power loss engine managment light came on so i took it to our local toyota dealer they plugged it in and diagnosed suction control valves (SCV)they replaced these, and the car felt a million times better but we still get the occasional hiccup i have had a full service and cambelt done and put in some toyota injector cleaner intothe fuel done severl hundred miles since but still get the odd hiccup some days worse than others the engine managment ligh has not come on so nopoint in havinga plug in.

I hope somebody can help.

At that mileage, and that symptom, sounds like you are yet another of the "EGR Valve needs cleaning out" brigade.

Not too difficult a job, or so Anchorman's thing at start of Forum, with easy to follow photos, says.

He was supposed to do mine a few weeks ago, but was more interested in getting drunk as usual....don't see the attraction of Bumble Bee Beer masself, which was OFF at the local hostelry, the only reason I ever travel to that strange land of Peaks.

Big Kev. :P

Hi there all posting on behalf of my wife as she needs some help with her 2005 d4d rav it has done 110000 miles and recently developed a stutter this developed into major power loss engine managment light came on so i took it to our local toyota dealer they plugged it in and diagnosed suction control valves (SCV)they replaced these, and the car felt a million times better but we still get the occasional hiccup i have had a full service and cambelt done and put in some toyota injector cleaner intothe fuel done severl hundred miles since but still get the odd hiccup some days worse than others the engine managment ligh has not come on so nopoint in havinga plug in.

I hope somebody can help.

Welcome to the club.

If your Shakira looks like the one with the wiggly bum I will come and sort it for you :thumbsup:

However, assuming it looks like any other RAV, I would start with the fuel filter and also just look at the pipes from the tank and any unions that are damp as a leak might allow it to draw air. Other than that, it could be the EGR but it looks much different on yours than the ones in the photo's (please forgive my permanently drunken Scottish mate :wacko: ). The other areas tend to be with turbo control so check the others and then report back.

Thank you guys i will have a look at said items can i assume that the problem won't cause my little lady to end up stranded down a country lane, as the rav was my choice of car and as my wife keeps reminding me she was very happy with her 2006 peugeot 307 cab before i sold it!

sorry to be daft cannot find anchormans egr cleaning post

It isn't pinned but in any case it is no good for your car. I will try to find you some info on your car when my other computer is fixed. In the meantime, try changing the fuel filter and look in this post for the VSV. It is on a bracket on the end of the engine just to the left of the air filter. Take the rubber pipes off and squirt some WD40 inside the holes. You might just recover it;

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=114480&view=findpost&p=1036653

Thank you guys i will have a look at said items can i assume that the problem won't cause my little lady to end up stranded down a country lane, as the rav was my choice of car and as my wife keeps reminding me she was very happy with her 2006 peugeot 307 cab before i sold it!

Sorry mate for bum steer re EGR valve....as usual, did not read your year of manufacture, so will be different placement and part from my more recent model. And as for permanently drunk comment, I can assure you I have been known to have a break and sleep, so I take offence.....next time I'll take the gate as well.

Big Kev. :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links