Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Motorcyclist Wearing Barbecue On Motorway Fined For Careless Driving

Raistlin

bbq_1703096c.jpg

Michael Wiles, 29, was seen on Melbourne's busy Eastern Freeway effectively "wearing" the barbecue as he carried it home after finding it by the side of the road.

He had inserted his body through the wooden frame and was peering through a protruding steel grate to see his way as he drove along at speeds of up to 46mph.

Police investigated after his antics were photographed from a passing car.

The picture later found its way on to the internet and was widely circulated in emails.

Mr Wiles, a New Zealander who lives in Melbourne, admitted the charge when he appeared in Melbourne Magistrates Court on Wednesday.

Paul McClure, his defence lawyer, said Mr Wiles's excuse was "lack of thought processes" at the time and poverty.

"It turned out the barbecue was a dud and did not work, and that's probably why it was at the side of the road," Mr McClure said.

"This is stupid behaviour and nobody should do it."

Mr McClure said his client had been approached by a barbecue company to appear in an advertisement after his photograph was published but he had declined to do so.

Lionel Winton-Smith, the presiding magistrate, said he could not recall a case like it in his years on the bench.

"I'm trying to think of a word to describe it," he said.

"Ridiculous?" suggested Mr McClure.

"Ridiculous. That will do," agreed the magistrate.

He fined Mr Wiles A$800 (£458) and disqualified him from driving for one month.

Outside the court, Mr Wiles told The Age newspaper that he hoped his experience would encourage other people to be more responsible on the roads.

"I felt it was right to accept some responsibility," he said.

Asked if he now owned a barbecue, he said: "I'm better off without one."

I think he is the Town Burger tongue.gif, he seems to known the Grill but I would have loved to see the Police Ketchup with him...

I think this is the new style of Aussie roll cage for bikes yes.gif

He still has a Sauce, I think he is a bit of a Dill...

Burger that! He was riding a CHOPper which had plenty of SPIT & polish, applied with elbow GREASE into every JOINT :wacko:

Much better that the crappy wheels they put on BBQ's, if anything he has done a service. :lol:

It certainly is a rare sight...

Well done :lol::yahoo:

As long as it isn't BLUE on this family forum :lol:

Thats a bit Corn y, and we should stop as there is not Mushroom on the server for all this fun...

He could always have chickened out...

No, judging by the way he brought home the BBQ he would always Wing it, then when the Police arrived to keep a Breast of the crime he would have Legged it :D

Excellent!

Sounds like it could've gotten rather saucy though.... rolleyes.gif

He was going to have his hair trimmed by he didn't want to wait in the BarBer Queue yahoo.gif