Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hid Kits

corollavvti

i would like to find out if HID kits are legal and if they are, where can i get them from for my 2003 corolla

and what colours are there such as white, blue, purple, how do i tell?

In essence no they are not legal.

A piece taken from the dept of transport's website.

1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e- marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo et who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory. suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam. 3. The headlamp must be maintained in good working order, kept clean, and aligned/adjusted correctly like any other headlamp.

Even tho many people choose to install them and have even passed MOT's with them on.

In essence no they are not legal.

A piece taken from the dept of transport's website.

1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e- marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo et who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory. suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam. 3. The headlamp must be maintained in good working order, kept clean, and aligned/adjusted correctly like any other headlamp.

Even tho many people choose to install them and have even passed MOT's with them on.

thanks for the information, many HID websites say that they are legal and approved but i still dont know if i should install them

its not really the bulb thats the problem, its a few things.

if you use HID kits, then the car must have a self leveling system and washer jets. The corolla has neither of these.

The lenses should be designed for HID lights, this is a bit ropey because I know many people who have installed HID lights and had no problems at MOTS suggesting the Corolla lens pattern does not scatter light and glare all that much.

Websites can say their bulbs are legal by being E marked, so in essence they are not fibbing. The problem arises when the rest of the items you fit the bulbs to are not designed for HID.

Having said all that, I wouldn't go back to normal bulbs ever!

I have them in mine,have 8k bulbs. Never had any bother off the police, but i have checked my headlight patten and it hasnt got one so it wont pass an mot. Ill have to change them back before the mot.

Colour wise bro, depends on the k they produce. Therefore i have 8k and their blue. If you go 10k then the blue gets more vibrant, 12k + your going into purple. 6k are white with a tint of blue 5k should be pure white, but are hard to come by. Anything lower and your going back into yellow.

Mine has passed every mot since having them, so no troubles to report there or with the police :thumbsup:

im changing mine to 5000k from 8000k but i have no trouble personally from mot or from police. i think we are lucky in that the corolla headlight/reflector does not produce glare whereas the mark 4 golf for example produces shed loads and this causes problems for oncoming traffic.

anyway in order to answer your original question i would say buy from eBay since these eBay kits although cheap and cheerful have proven to be most reliable in the long term. also go for 8000k if you want a blue tinted light, 6000k if you want white light with a hint of blue (so that anyone looking at your headlights can tell youve got hid in), and go for 5000k if you want a pure white light.

something to bear in mind, the higher up the 'k' scale you go you will get a progressively bluer light and the amount of light chucked out in lumens will decrease also. however 8000k lights will cause signs to 'pop' and grab your attention whereas a lower k rated bulb will not. swings and roundabouts however personally its 5000k or 6000k for me...

also you would require a 'h7' kit for the corolla. one kit for dipped beam (the one you use in normal driving) and one kit for the main beam (the flash). personally ive only got one kit on my dipped beam the main beam has osram nightbreakers in soon...

im changing mine to 5000k from 8000k but i have no trouble personally from mot or from police. i think we are lucky in that the corolla headlight/reflector does not produce glare whereas the mark 4 golf for example produces shed loads and this causes problems for oncoming traffic.

anyway in order to answer your original question i would say buy from ebay since these ebay kits although cheap and cheerful have proven to be most reliable in the long term. also go for 8000k if you want a blue tinted light, 6000k if you want white light with a hint of blue (so that anyone looking at your headlights can tell youve got hid in), and go for 5000k if you want a pure white light.

something to bear in mind, the higher up the 'k' scale you go you will get a progressively bluer light and the amount of light chucked out in lumens will decrease also. however 8000k lights will cause signs to 'pop' and grab your attention whereas a lower k rated bulb will not. swings and roundabouts however personally its 5000k or 6000k for me...

also you would require a 'h7' kit for the corolla. one kit for dipped beam (the one you use in normal driving) and one kit for the main beam (the flash). personally ive only got one kit on my dipped beam the main beam has osram nightbreakers in soon...

thanks for the info, i will probz get the 8000k then for the dipped beam and i will leave the flash normal cause i hardly use it n no1 sees it alot or will i have to upgrade the flash too and will the 8000k kit let out more light than my standard bulbs?

also can anyone recommend a 8000k kit for my 2003 corolla of eBay or anywhere else if you dont mind that is?

thank you all for the information, saved my time and i learnt a bit aha :thumbsup:

ok so ive put my 5000k bulbs in today and remembering i previously had 8000k bulbs my overall conclusion is that 6000k is the best colour temperature to have and ive now ordered some 6000k bulbs for me car :P 8000 too blue and 5000 is bordering on yellow. my friends said this to me from the start but me being me i had to find out the long and expensive way he was correct. here is the kit i have in my car. i know its intended for the nissan maxima and as such the mounting brackets for the ballasts arent very useful but its been a faultless kit for me so id wholeheartedly recommend it again to anyone looking to go the hid route in the corolla.

• 3 months later...

hello again, sorry but it would be greatful if someone can give me a link for HID's for my 2003 E12 toyota corolla pre-facelift?

are they hard to install for example do you need to do wiring or is it just plug in and play?

thank you in advance :thumbsup:

Soz I cant provide a link but removing the bumper helps make evetything look tidy, some one has a guide on how to install them.

P.s I believe they are plug and play.

Is it really worth the hassle of fitting these only to have to change them back to standard for the new MOT regulations???

personally yes for me because my mot guy won't give me grief over having hids...and for those who can't say the same then is it not true people will have exhaust components refitted just for an mot? this is a simple case of changing a bulb...you don't need to remove the ballast etc leave that all wiring etc in place ready for when mot is done.

I just don't see the benefit of HIDs.... if people can't see where they're driving at night with standard bulbs then they shouldn't be driving.....

I'm personally fed up of being blinded by people who retro fit these....

i can 100% see where you're coming from mate (no pun intended) and frankly i'm fed up of being blinded by people who retro-fit hids on the cheapo and don't get their lights adjusted and/or have them set too high from the cabin adjustment dial. i think i am one of the only people who uses their hids properly.

however having had hids for a while i can definitely see the temptation to set the lights as high up as possible, they just reach so far it wills you to do this and even though it doesn't illuminate the road in front of you at all you still 'think' its better up.

my hids are properly adjusted by the mot boy and i have them set low (think number 2 or 3 on the dial) so they illuminate the 2/3meters of road directly infront of my car when i am driving. it must be said they are very much better at doing so than standard halogen bulbs.

i don't know what point i am trying to make here, all I wanted to say was I too am fed up of being labelled a "hid-ist" where a few spoil it for the rest of us. if everyone had correctly adjusted lamps pointed low down to the road as with halogens then people wouldn't complain to vosa and vosa wouldnt feel the need to introduce this measure into the mot test. :)

• Like 1

I may just change my statement to "i hate all other road users"..... if it was just me on the roads everything would be fine!!

:P :lol:

basically then i should get them installed and adjust them to point down or something? like from inside the car where you can use the "thing" to adjust the lights up or down?

im stuck between 6000k and 8000k at the moment, 8000k being blue but not enough light to see the road infront but 6000k being less blue however making the road infront more visible, im sure 6000k will be more blue than the standard light bulbs and look better also make the road more visible?

so maybe its 6000k for me then? and advice? (again, so sorry)

i have found these, are they any good?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Xenon-HID-Conversion-KIT-H1-H3-H7-H9-H11-HB3-HB4-9006-/330379335700?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4cec249814&afsrc=1

i use the anti glare ones like nrgizerbunny, they have a small black film round the actual bulb, the way they stop the glare is by stopping the light output on the lower reflector which hits someone straight in the eye, So only the top reflectors are pushing light out.

The corolla has well designed reflectors so you dont get to much glare from them as it is. Many older cars use square shaped headlamps that have reflectors all the way around thats why you get lots of glare and blind people. Also having them set up correctly is useful.

if you wanna save a few bob here is the kit i got. but if you wanna get according to the link "better build quality" go for the ones you have.

My link

was recommended by a corolla user who has them.

Considering it is completley illegal to retro fit to a car that has standard bulbs. Ive never ran them. Ive seen the outcome of incorrectly fitted hods before. The guy who crashed wasnt too pleased.

well i have them in my car since march, delighted with them.

at first i had the spotlights way to high.....i hold me hands up and admit it :)

but have them set correct now and only use them in fog and dark nights......you know what i mean, dont be smart :lol:

car was in for NCT (same as your MOT), last week and failed on headlight aligment, i kinda knew the left was up abit high.

yea i did get the ODD flash due to this but i brought it to a garage my mate works in and got it aligned and she flew through no bother :yahoo:

so incase anyone was going to ask no its not illegal to have HIDs in ireland yet....

we have just brought in the first regulation about tints in april, my car failed with them.....but i got away with it....delighted with meself :toast::yahoo::yes: :D B)

oh and whoever was asking, you need H7 HIDs for the E12 rolla lad :thumbsup:

People are going on about alignment as a major issue! If the lights fit into the standard fittings why is alignment a problem.

Sorry confused :censor: :ffs: