Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Key Fob Operating Alarm Buttons Broken...

asteve641

I was wondering if any helpful Toyota owners could help me out here. I've a 2002 Avensis 2.0 CDX which came with two 2-button keys. Both keys work fine, but on both, the buttons to lock/alarm and unlock/unalarm have broken away... I can only operate the microswitch buttons by putting my little finder into the hole where the normal button used to be.

I approached the main dealer, but they want £194.54 - for each key!!! There has to be a cheaper way to fix the casing, hasn't there?

Can anyone suggest a way forward? Having looked inside the key, it is apparent that the electronic unit has buttons moulded into its clear-plastic case... The black plastic case is fine, as is the key, as is the actual electronics of the sender...

I'd like both of my keys fixed... as without working keys, I'm snookered.

Thanks in advance...

Steve

I was wondering if any helpful Toyota owners could help me out here. I've a 2002 Avensis 2.0 CDX which came with two 2-button keys. Both keys work fine, but on both, the buttons to lock/alarm and unlock/unalarm have broken away... I can only operate the microswitch buttons by putting my little finder into the hole where the normal button used to be.

I approached the main dealer, but they want £194.54 - for each key!!! There has to be a cheaper way to fix the casing, hasn't there?

Can anyone suggest a way forward? Having looked inside the key, it is apparent that the electronic unit has buttons moulded into its clear-plastic case... The black plastic case is fine, as is the key, as is the actual electronics of the sender...

I'd like both of my keys fixed... as without working keys, I'm snookered.

Thanks in advance...

Steve

you think you have problems? I have a Falcon Combi-steam oven where the touch pad control panel has a faulty on-off switch. If - and a BIG IF - they can find a replacement panel, it costs £1600 to repair!! The oven is only 15 years old and cost £12k.

I'll be dissecting the PCB to by-pass the touch switch.

CHECK ON E-BAY "TOYOTA KEYS" YOU SHOULD FIND SOMETHING

Hmmm - I can find used keys that look the same... I guess that means I have to either, somehow, work out how to repair the inner sender-unit I have with the buttons from the second hand key, or find a cost-effective way to re-program the replacement sender unit to my car.

I'd rather hoped that there'd be an enterprising garage, or similar, who could minimise dependence on my DIY skills...

CHECK ON E-BAY "TOYOTA KEYS" YOU SHOULD FIND SOMETHING

Hmmm - I can find used keys that look the same... I guess that means I have to either, somehow, work out how to repair the inner sender-unit I have with the buttons from the second hand key, or find a cost-effective way to re-program the replacement sender unit to my car.

I'd rather hoped that there'd be an enterprising garage, or similar, who could minimise dependence on my DIY skills...

I had the same problem, my solution was to find a similar key. Then undo the screw holding casing together, remove the Battery, then carefully prise out the box Battery sits on.

At one side of the 'box' there is a recess, gently prise apart there. Once open, remove the bits & set to one side, carefully work buttons loose they tend to stick to casing.

Do same on your own key but replace missing button. NOTE: Make sure you replace correct transponder in your own key!!

I had the same problem, my solution was to find a similar key. Then undo the screw holding casing together, remove the battery, then carefully prise out the box battery sits on.

At one side of the 'box' there is a recess, gently prise apart there. Once open, remove the bits & set to one side, carefully work buttons loose they tend to stick to casing.

Do same on your own key but replace missing button. NOTE: Make sure you replace correct transponder in your own key!!

Magic advice, I hope, at least. This is my new plan... I ordered a screwdriver to open the key today, and will go shopping for a donor key next.

I'll post back if I'm successful. :)