Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2.2D4D Problems

jonjosar

Hi all, new to the forum but not new to RAV4,s. Just bought our 3rd RAV, (previously a 97 petrol and an 02 D4d) this one is an 06 xt4 d4d with 38k on it. Its a lovely car but i have noticed a couple of things since buying it and was wondering if anyone would have any ideas as to the causes.

1. On cold start up, there is a high end tapping noise coming from the engine at approx 2250 rpm.It goes away after the engine warms up. Are they prone to EGR problems?

2. If you are anyway sharp with releasing the clutch pedal,there is a definite clonk in at your feet. The dealer had a look before we collected it and agreed that it was coming from the rear engine mounting but as it wasnt a Toyota dealer, he was unaware if this was a common problem or if there might be a modified part.

3. When manouevering at slow speeds, turning the steering wheel, you can hear a noise from the steering which sounds like its coming from in around the drivers feet area.

Not sure if anyone will be able to help but any advice will be gratefully accepted.

Cheers.

Hi there and welcome to the forum.

Sorry, a bit shot of time, so I'll be quick with a couple of pointers for you.

1. On cold start up, there is a high end tapping noise coming from the engine at approx 2250 rpm.It goes away after the engine warms up. Are they prone to EGR problems?

Although I can't really help with diagnosing whether the noise is related to the EGR or not; I can confirm that there's definitely a lot of talk on this here forum about the EGR. There is a post that shows you exactly how to clean it (with pictures). There is also advice to use high quality fuel as the detergents have a positive effect on the EGR soot build-up. You will have to search the forum to find the post with the instructions and pictures.

2. If you are anyway sharp with releasing the clutch pedal,there is a definite clonk in at your feet. The dealer had a look before we collected it and agreed that it was coming from the rear engine mounting but as it wasnt a Toyota dealer, he was unaware if this was a common problem or if there might be a modified part.

I had a similar problem. Although, my one was also producing a rattle off the gearbox when idling. It was diagnosed as a faulty "clutch release bearing" and the offending part was replaced under warranty. I am sure Anchorman is going to look in soon and give coments on whether these symptoms can be related. I think a wee bit of the clunk is probably normal, though, twin-shafts gearbox being a bit "loose". AM will explain or point to his post that explains this in a wee while. You will forget his thoughtful explanation (in about a month) and afterwards refer to it as "gearbox ... something, something... a bit loose" :)

3. When manouevering at slow speeds, turning the steering wheel, you can hear a noise from the steering which sounds like its coming from in around the drivers feet area.

This sounds like a (relatively common) fault with earlier 4.3s relating to the steering column shaft. These were also replaced under warranty. There is a PDF of a TSB about this on RAV4World, also a few posts on here that you will have to search for yourself.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the reply. The car is still under the supplying dealers warranty period so ill let them know the good news. :thumbsup:

Point 3 sounds like a noise I also get. Does this(read the last posts first) fit the bill?

Sounds very much like it. Mine makes a "groaning/popping" sound. Only a low speeds and when turning. Happens when going forward or backwards. Cheers.

High end tapping noise will be injector knock. Sounds worse than it is, as long as it clears once warm. The engine basically injects a little bit too much fuel to raise engine temperature quicker but in turn you get "Diesel Knock". If its excessive then the injectors could be in need of replacing but thats worse case! Maybe try using a quality fuel and see if it helps.

Clutch klonk is a little harder to diagnose when its not possible to hear it but as for the steering klonk then its most probably as described above. The lower parts of the column have been modified to cure this.

Hope you get it all sorted.

High end tapping noise will be injector knock. Sounds worse than it is, as long as it clears once warm. The engine basically injects a little bit too much fuel to raise engine temperature quicker but in turn you get "Diesel Knock". If its excessive then the injectors could be in need of replacing but thats worse case! Maybe try using a quality fuel and see if it helps.

Clutch klonk is a little harder to diagnose when its not possible to hear it but as for the steering klonk then its most probably as described above. The lower parts of the column have been modified to cure this.

Hope you get it all sorted.

I filled the car with "Jet" diesel( not jet fuel). Ill try something different next fill and see if it makes a difference. TBH, i havent actually seen Shell V max over here. I,ve used it in England in my last car and it definitely did make a difference.

The clonk from the engine mounting is definitely the rear engine mounting itself but the dealer stated that he wasnt sure if it was a fault or just a common trait of the model. Thanks for the answers and ill keep posted whats happenning.

• 11 years later...

Hi everyone, I have a problem with the 2007 model Rav4 D4D . Out of gear it revs no problem. Driving it Starts to act up when it hits 2000 rpm . And won’t let you go over that unless you are going down hill .and it’s still hopping up and down revs . It’s doing my head in 😂

Hi Kev,

Welcome to the forum. 

You should start a new thread with your problem and give as much information as you can. 

When car is not in gear , you can rev it to 6000 rpm with no problem. When driving the rav it won’t accelerate properly after 2000 rpm it hesitates after that , it’s had new air filter and MAF CLEANED and only helps if you are going down a hill .but won’t rev properly.  I have had it on a computer and there are no codes coming up to say what’s wrong. 

I repeat;

Hi Kev,

Welcome to the forum. 

You should start a new thread with your problem and give as much information as you can. 

• 1 year later...
On 8/16/2022 at 10:17 AM, Kevo1 said:

When car is not in gear , you can rev it to 6000 rpm with no problem. When driving the rav it won’t accelerate properly after 2000 rpm it hesitates after that , it’s had new air filter and MAF CLEANED and only helps if you are going down a hill .but won’t rev properly.  I have had it on a computer and there are no codes coming up to say what’s wrong. 

Hi Kevin did you ever get to the bottom of this issue I am having the same thing