Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Warranty

stompe

Dear all,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you, but I can now respond to some of your questions regarding the extended warranty on the Prius.

The decision to introduce an eight-year/100,000-mile warranty on the Prius hybrid Battery as standard from 1 July 2010 was made after taking into account feedback from you, the existing Prius owners. Our customers are important to us and restoring the eight-year warranty is just one demonstration of our belief in the safety and reliability of our vehicles.

Toyota is unable to backdate the standard inclusion of the eight-year hybrid Battery warranty on cars purchased before that date; however, we would like to reassure you that no one has lost out by purchasing a Prius prior to 1 July. The price increase on Prius sold from that date was in part to cover the additional cost of the eight-year warranty. However, recognising the desire by some owners to extend their warranty, an extended warranty is always available for purchase. The cost of this extension is less than the price rise on the new cars. Please click here for details.

Toyota believes the offer of an extended warranty for a competitive price honours both the original proposition and gives the chance to upgrade for those who wish to. Any goodwill offered to individual customers by individual Toyota Centres is done so at their discretion.

I hope that has answered some of your questions. If you have any other queries or concerns regarding the extended warranty on the third-generation Prius hybrid Battery, please contact Toyota GB Customer Relations on 01737 367 600 or at customer.relations@tgb.toyota.co.uk. Thank you.

Thanks Toyota! Nice to Know what you think of your Customers who Stuck with you through YOUR Crisis, somehow i dont think you have heard the last of this

Stompe

Is it because they feel the original gen 3 Prius is not going to last into the new warranty period? I hope not!

It's a cheap trick and they could have back dated the warranty to existing gen 3 Prius owners for minimum cost. There again I'm sure there are legal reasons why they're unable to back date warranty. Perhaps they'll look favourably on any future warranty claims.

Is it because they feel the original gen 3 Prius is not going to last into the new warranty period? I hope not!

It's a cheap trick and they could have back dated the warranty to existing gen 3 Prius owners for minimum cost. There again I'm sure there are legal reasons why they're unable to back date warranty. Perhaps they'll look favourably on any future warranty claims.

Hi Grumpy its a Smack in the face. It will cost Toyota more in ill will then what the extension of the warranty period will cost in hard cash. If Kia can do it i.e. a seven year Warranty, why can't Toyota? They make a big play on reliability, lets see them back it with there mouth :thumbsup:

I can understand why you guys with a pre July 2010 Gen3 feel about the Battery warranty. The batteries have not been altered so the warranty should be for all Gen3s. To be honest I think it will be an uphill battle to get Toyota to change their minds on this one.

Ultimately a warranty costs money, it is an allocation on the books and in the budget and underwritten by someone. So it is a financial and not a technical decision to do something like that. To then backdate it won't get past the beancounters...

If Kia can do it i.e. a seven year Warranty, why can't Toyota? They make a big play on reliability, lets see them back it with there mouth :thumbsup:

Because after 3 years the Kia warranty is worth jack s**t! Do you know anybody who has made a claim on one? My mate works for them and says it's a nightmare!

Vauxhall will have the same thing with their "Lifetime" warranty, read the first line of it, Lifetime means 100,000 miles with exclusions, the biggest being you have to be the original owner, it is not transferable (at the moment but I'm told they are working on it-maybe) so buying a demo or pre-registered car will get you the standard 3 year cover. NOT a lifetime warranty but limited a bit like your "Unlimited Internet access" on your smart phone, limited to 1GB a month

Whilst not what early Gen 3 purchasers wanted to hear about the warranty I know, but as mentioned above, the accountants or lawyers probably made the decision for them

Kingo :thumbsup:

If Kia can do it i.e. a seven year Warranty, why can't Toyota? They make a big play on reliability, lets see them back it with there mouth :thumbsup:

Because after 3 years the Kia warranty is worth jack s**t! Do you know anybody who has made a claim on one? My mate works for them and says it's a nightmare!

Vauxhall will have the same thing with their "Lifetime" warranty, read the first line of it, Lifetime means 100,000 miles with exclusions, the biggest being you have to be the original owner, it is not transferable (at the moment but I'm told they are working on it-maybe) so buying a demo or pre-registered car will get you the standard 3 year cover. NOT a lifetime warranty but limited a bit like your "Unlimited Internet access" on your smart phone, limited to 1GB a month

Whilst not what early Gen 3 purchasers wanted to hear about the warranty I know, but as mentioned above, the accountants or lawyers probably made the decision for them

I think you are right Parts-King it is obviously the case now whereas lawyers and accountants build cars these days hence the poor quality and thoughtlessness that is put into Toyotas now. You say Kia's warranty is worth jack s**t we're yet to see what Toyota's warranty is like. If it is any thing like their customer service it is going to leave a lot to be desired but hey ho lets see what the JD Power survey turns up for Toyota in the next survey! I somehow feel it will not be as high as in previous years. By the way I have been a loyal Toyota customer for 35 years.

Stompe :thumbsup:

I re-read my post Stompe and it looks like I'm knocking the opposition warranty, that wasnt the intention, just an observation that ALL manufacturers appear to be giving longer/better warranty, but in reality, there are so many exclusions and much more focus on wear and tear, when at one time of day, parts would be replaced without question. I think Toyota missed an opportunity with this warranty, they must have their own good reasons, even though it wont be recognised by early Gen 3 owners like yourself

I'm afraid you pays your money and takes your choice.

I got my Prius last September so have missed out on the warranty extension, but I bought the car at the time with full knowledge of warranty terms and feature set. Warranty is just a feature the same as everything else on the car. Car feature sets are updated quite a few times during a vehicles lifetime. If there hadn't been the bad publicity I doubt they'd have done it. But they had to respond somehow.

It would be nice if this wasn't the case but unfortunately it is.