Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Extended Warrnty Options

BlueValour

I bought my 08 Gen 2 T Spirit earlier this month with the standard 1 year warranty package. Already Toyota have offered me a 12 months extension wef August 2011! The cost is £560. Warranty Direct, a well respected company, have quoted £333 for 13 months on their top package which includes repairs at a franchised dealer. Even adding on £68 for Club Toyota membership this represents a big saving. I should be interested in the views of users as to whether taking out such an extended warranty is sensible for what would still be a young car and any experiences they may have had when calling on either package.

Hi I thought that the Gen 2 came with 3 years warranty with 8 years on the High voltage so it still should still be under the original manufactures warranty.

Close, it is 8 years for the hybrid components on the Gen 2 (better cover than a Gen 3).

So any additional warranty that you could buy would only cover the oily bits. The devil is probably in the detail, what parts considered standard wear items are not covered by the "top-up" warranty?

For the hybrid warranty, you can find a little information on the Toyota web site, I've quoted from www.toyota.co.uk, (form the web site menu click on ownership and then warranty).

I think it is interesting to note that the transaxle is covered on the Gen 2. (I was surprised that it wasn't mentioned for the Gen 3!)

Prius Hybrid Warranty

Model Year 2003

Hybrid-related warranty components including hybrid vehicle battery, battery control module, hybrid control module, inverter with converter and hybrid vehicle transaxle for 8 years or 100,000 miles.

Model Year 2009

Hybrid-related warranty components including hybrid vehicle battery, battery control module, hybrid control module and inverter with converter for 5 years or 60,000 miles.

I bought my 08 Gen 2 T Spirit earlier this month with the standard 1 year warranty package. Already Toyota have offered me a 12 months extension wef August 2011! The cost is £560. Warranty Direct, a well respected company, have quoted £333 for 13 months on their top package which includes repairs at a franchised dealer. Even adding on £68 for Club Toyota membership this represents a big saving. I should be interested in the views of users as to whether taking out such an extended warranty is sensible for what would still be a young car and any experiences they may have had when calling on either package.

Should still be under the normal 3 year + 8 for the hybrid. My 08 gen2 warranty runs out in july11 when the car is 3 years old.

Can I be really nosey and ask what you paid for it please, to give me a rough idea of what I should look for when I change mine for a gen3?

The warranty direct cover will be nothing like the extended warranty cover offered by Toyota. Less money but less cover to match. ALL off the peg warranty will be insurance based policies that cover sudden and catastrophic failure of a part listed in the items covered section, but not many parts fail that way. try taking a noisey wheel bearing to be fixed, it wont be covered if its just noisey!!! Extended warranty works just like new warranty, so a noisey bearing WOULD be covered

You have been warned! ;)

Kingo :thumbsup:

Kingo is 100pctcorrect on this one, a Toyota extended warranty is just what it says on the tin, EXTENDED, from my understanding what is covered under the first 5 years is EXTENDED...

There are a number of members on here who have saved a few quid on a warranty only for it to go t*ts up when you make a claim. I am sure they will be along here to comment soon enough

There will always be an element of wear and tear but in most cases, extended warranty is a far better option, whatever the manufacturer is

AVOID the warranty companies like the plague!!

I work in Insurance Claims as a Chartered Loss adjuster and thought the cover I got on my Jeep a few years ago was a bargain

Then had a claim and surprise surprise, not covered, even though it clearly was!

Car was uneconomic to repair after their "approved repairer" had worked in it and they told me claim had failed after he had removed the engine!

Took me 2 years through the Financial Ombudsman to get paid for a legitimate claim, and I am supposed to be an expert!

Not worth the saving in premium and I would always now stick with Manufacturers Cover.

AVOID the warranty companies like the plague!!

I work in Insurance Claims as a Chartered Loss adjuster and thought the cover I got on my Jeep a few years ago was a bargain

Then had a claim and surprise surprise, not covered, even though it clearly was!

Car was uneconomic to repair after their "approved repairer" had worked in it and they told me claim had failed after he had removed the engine!

Took me 2 years through the Financial Ombudsman to get paid for a legitimate claim, and I am supposed to be an expert!

Not worth the saving in premium and I would always now stick with Manufacturers Cover.

hi all

chap i know had had his car covered by warranty company.his clutch started slipping so made claim,clutch worn,but as no parts were broken,just worn, claim refused,

another,where crankshaft pulley for driving alternator belt cracked making loud ticking noise,claim refused as pulley still doing its job.

chap i know had had his car covered by warranty company.his clutch started slipping so made claim,clutch worn,but as no parts were broken,just worn, claim refused,

another,where crankshaft pulley for driving alternator belt cracked making loud ticking noise,claim refused as pulley still doing its job.

It sounds like the chap had a breakdown warranty, which means the pulley wouldn't get repaired until it broke off.

I can't see anything wrong with the clutch slip claim being refused, wear and tear isn't usually included in any warranty, even manufacturer's.

Here we go again..................

EDIT The post I was referring to has been removed by admin and makes no sense to anybody now :lol:

Wasn't the Gen3 warranty increased on both parts and the HV Battery for sales after 1st July but if early Gen3 buyers pay for an extended warranty, it only includes parts and not the HV Battery. Sure parts-king confirmed this but can't find the post.

Whoops. Found the original post. It was £195 to extend the HV Battery warranty for 3 years which didn't cover parts.

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=113046&st=45&p=1031987&fromsearch=1entry1031987

So to get the longer HV battery warranty AND extend the parts warranty, early Gen3 buyers have to pay £195 for the battery AND extra for the parts warranty (not sure of the price)?

It sounds like the chap had a breakdown warranty, which means the pulley wouldn't get repaired until it broke off.

I can't see anything wrong with the clutch slip claim being refused, wear and tear isn't usually included in any warranty, even manufacturer's.

this clutch slipped 10 days after car purchased.this is not fair wear and tear.

these people will try and wriggle out of paying what ever the claim.

the garage where the car was purchased and who used this warranty company ditched them as it was giving them a bad name.they now do there own warranty claims.have heared no complaints about them lately.

if you brought a toyota approved car and the clutch gave up the ghost after 10 days would you find this ok.

it sounds as if you have sympathy for these co merchants.

Anybody selling a car as a dealer cannot just throw in the "wear and tear" card after 10 days. The sale of goods act says goods must conform to contract and not be inherently faulty. You would be quite entitled to take the car back for a repair or refund in those particular circumstances!

Anybody selling a car as a dealer cannot just throw in the "wear and tear" card after 10 days. The sale of goods act says goods must conform to contract and not be inherently faulty. You would be quite entitled to take the car back for a repair or refund in those particular circumstances!

hi kingo, are you well.

just googled warranty complaints,its terrible what some of these so called warranty co get away with.

I'm well Acetip...Fankoo for asking

The warranty companies (often part of very large financial corporations) have seen used car warranty as a very healthy profit centre. As mentioned above, they are mechanical breakdown insurance policies, and are sold using that terminology. The problem then is that the marketing bods get the job of selling these policies, and you end up with a great big list of what is covered with minimum exceptions, it is only when you read the small print after having a claim rejected is that you find words such as "Catastrophic failure" "sudden and unforeseen" which you would take as meaning a failure of some componant. Taking my wheel bearing scenario, the bearing would need to collapse and leave you stranded at the side of the road to be covered, but most wheel bearings don't fail like that, they hum and whine for ages before collapsing. The underwriters of these policies know how to word them for maximum marketing benefit, with the least payout possible, and of course some Fred in the shed garage will offer a wonderful 12 months parts and labour, backed by a large motoring organisation warranty (you know who you are!!!), as peace of mind (and profit for him selling a policy) motoring, only for you to find they are often not worth the paper they are written on

Manufacturers extended warranty is by far the better option, yes its more expensive, but you will have the knowledge that you are most likely to be covered for things that go wrong, yes there will be wear and tear exceptions, but normal run of the mill things like wheel bearings and water pumps will be covered, and your hair wont go grey or be pulled out in the process of claiming :lol:

I'm well Acetip...Fankoo for asking

The warranty companies (often part of very large financial corporations) have seen used car warranty as a very healthy profit centre. As mentioned above, they are mechanical breakdown insurance policies, and are sold using that terminology. The problem then is that the marketing bods get the job of selling these policies, and you end up with a great big list of what is covered with minimum exceptions, it is only when you read the small print after having a claim rejected is that you find words such as "Catastrophic failure" "sudden and unforeseen" which you would take as meaning a failure of some componant. Taking my wheel bearing scenario, the bearing would need to collapse and leave you stranded at the side of the road to be covered, but most wheel bearings don't fail like that, they hum and whine for ages before collapsing. The underwriters of these policies know how to word them for maximum marketing benefit, with the least payout possible, and of course some Fred in the shed garage will offer a wonderful 12 months parts and labour, backed by a large motoring organisation warranty (you know who you are!!!), as peace of mind (and profit for him selling a policy) motoring, only for you to find they are often not worth the paper they are written on

Manufacturers extended warranty is by far the better option, yes its more expensive, but you will have the knowledge that you are most likely to be covered for things that go wrong, yes there will be wear and tear exceptions, but normal run of the mill things like wheel bearings and water pumps will be covered, and your hair wont go grey or be pulled out in the process of claiming :lol:

hi kingo

what little hair ive left is already grey and not just on the head,but i dont suppose you wanted too much information.

Errrrr yes Acetip...........far too much info :lol:

I prefer to say I look a little like George Clooney, whaddya think?George+Clooney+Haircut.jpg

But to get back on topic, I wonder if George has a extension of any kind? :eek:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links