Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stop/start And The Battery Warning Light.

bokkie

Peanut had her first service yesterday and she also had the warranty swap-out to fix the mpg display problem showing a maximum of 60mpg. Prior to the service the stop/start restart when stopped never showed anything else on the instrument panel. My wife says that the stop/start still works as expected but everytime the engine stops the Battery warning light comes on. She's never noticed that before and I've never seen it either. Do you think this is a problem now that the car has been serviced? Could it be related to whatever Mr. T did during the warranty swap-out? We go over to France in about ten days and if we take Peanut we need the reassurance that she is not nursing a horrible breakdown somewhere. I'l phone Mr. T tomorrow but if anyone has any insight, we'd appreciate it.

I would think the Battery warning light should come on if the alternator is not charging, and the ignition is on.

When the engine is not running the alternator is not charging hence the warning light comes on.

Maybe it was faulty before and should have come on when the engine stopped running, and they have now fixed it!(or perhaps you both didn't notice it before!)

I would think the battery warning light should come on if the alternator is not charging, and the ignition is on.

When the engine is not running the alternator is not charging hence the warning light comes on.

Maybe it was faulty before and should have come on when the engine stopped running, and they have now fixed it!(or perhaps you both didn't notice it before!)

There's the rub. Did Mr. T "fix" it? I agree with you that the Battery can't charge without the alternator's input but I know I've never seen the light on except when you first get into the car and prepare to start the engine. It's puzzling. I spoke to Mr. T and they say bring the car back and they'll give it an eyeball which I'm happy to do. In the meantime, if anyone else has the stop/start feature could you confirm if the light does come on? I'm almost thinking that the onboard pooter might do it differently when you're sitting in stop/mode mode?

Peanut had her first service yesterday and she also had the warranty swap-out to fix the mpg display problem showing a maximum of 60mpg. Prior to the service the stop/start restart when stopped never showed anything else on the instrument panel. My wife says that the stop/start still works as expected but everytime the engine stops the battery warning light comes on. She's never noticed that before and I've never seen it either. Do you think this is a problem now that the car has been serviced? Could it be related to whatever Mr. T did during the warranty swap-out? We go over to France in about ten days and if we take Peanut we need the reassurance that she is not nursing a horrible breakdown somewhere. I'l phone Mr. T tomorrow but if anyone has any insight, we'd appreciate it.

I had my mpg panel changed to fix the 60 mpg error. Then I had the same issue as you. I took it back and they had fitted a unit for the 1.0L iq not the 1.3L with stop/start. The unit for the 1.3L is a diferant part number. They have probably fitted the wrong one to yours. Get them to check the part numbers in relation to the differant model engine sizes as the 1.0L obviously does not have start/stop.

It did not cause me any problems that would cause a breakdown. It was just a pain but they soon swapped it to the correct unit.

Peanut had her first service yesterday and she also had the warranty swap-out to fix the mpg display problem showing a maximum of 60mpg. Prior to the service the stop/start restart when stopped never showed anything else on the instrument panel. My wife says that the stop/start still works as expected but everytime the engine stops the battery warning light comes on. She's never noticed that before and I've never seen it either. Do you think this is a problem now that the car has been serviced? Could it be related to whatever Mr. T did during the warranty swap-out? We go over to France in about ten days and if we take Peanut we need the reassurance that she is not nursing a horrible breakdown somewhere. I'l phone Mr. T tomorrow but if anyone has any insight, we'd appreciate it.

I had my mpg panel changed to fix the 60 mpg error. Then I had the same issue as you. I took it back and they had fitted a unit for the 1.0L iq not the 1.3L with stop/start. The unit for the 1.3L is a diferant part number. They have probably fitted the wrong one to yours. Get them to check the part numbers in relation to the differant model engine sizes as the 1.0L obviously does not have start/stop.

It did not cause me any problems that would cause a breakdown. It was just a pain but they soon swapped it to the correct unit.

Thanks, Pieman99. I'll print your reply and pass it onto Mr. T. I'm hoping they might be able to get my car in Friday morning for a quick inspection before we leave. If they think there may be something more troublesome, then plan B is we'll take our VW Polo instead. We want to take the iQ but while there's a lingering doubt it might be wiser to consider not taking it. I'd not want to get there while our Peanut is crying Wolf! As you know, the fable implies that you ignore wolves with caution.

Pretty sure we never had the Battery light come on either before or after the instrument panel change on my 1.3. Your Toyota warranty is Europe wide so if you do have any issues you can go to a dealer there too.

Kate

Pretty sure we never had the battery light come on either before or after the instrument panel change on my 1.3. Your Toyota warranty is Europe wide so if you do have any issues you can go to a dealer there too.

Kate

Thanks Kate. I've almost noticed something else but I'm really not sure what's going on, if anything. Does your multifunction display show anything in the top 1/3rd? Ours displays a horizontal line as a sort of separator between the two parts but above it is a completely dark area. It might always have been like that but I don't know. I took the iQ to the shops today for the first time in a couple of weeks and it was something I noticed. Perhaps I'm half expecting to see another problem. I need to speak to Mr. T as a priority now but could you give me the heads up on what your display looks like?

I haven't actually had my car for the last (almost) 4 months after an HGV reversed into it! SHOULD be back tomorrow though. From memory isn't the top bit the stereo read out though?

I'll let you know if and when mine does reappear!

K

I haven't actually had my car for the last (almost) 4 months after an HGV reversed into it! SHOULD be back tomorrow though. From memory isn't the top bit the stereo read out though?

I'll let you know if and when mine does reappear!

K

Peanut went back to Mr. T this afternoon. They confirmed the indicator light should illuminate when stopped so that's ok. The top bit of the multifunction display is apparently to do with the CD/radio but to be honest I've never noticed it. So, Peanut wins the day and she's off to France on Saturday.