Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gti-16 4Age Project Ideas

jono395

Hi all, Ive got a AE92 Corolla.. And im Looking At Going Far With It.

Ive had turbo cars before, and N/A ... But with this, i want to keep NA, due to the fact it revs so high & Linear power..!

Ive thought of turbo'ing it (3sGTE) (4age Turbo), but ive thought to myself... as the 4age revs to 8000, and i put a T3 on, the turbo will run out of puff way before the redline! Id have to put something like a t4, or a t35... which could then get really pricey due to mapping, and internals!

So N/A ... Lets think, a set of cams and springs, with a decent map, what sort of power gains would you get? Also, whats the best setups to run, something like a 272 INLET, and a 264 exhaust? etc etc .. **Also any specific brand?????**

Any ideas would be good, im looking at eventually getting mapping, manifold and TB's ..

:thumbsup:

Would it be worth getting refurbed injectors too?

Hi mate, I'm currently doing the same but my goal is 200BHP.

To do this reliably I need roughly £6000-7000 worth of parts. Take a look at my thread and you'll see what needs to be done:

TVIS 4A-GE 200BHP Project

You'll find it useful to look at the parts list first, the longest one is a couple pages in I think.

To get the most out of such big cams you should get an ECU remap, however these are notoriously bad to map so I would see about going the full nine yards and get a fully reprogrammable ECU like I am.

My project will take far longer seeing as I don't have a steady cash flow. :lol:

Hi mate, I'm currently doing the same but my goal is 200BHP.

To do this reliably I need roughly £6000-7000 worth of parts. Take a look at my thread and you'll see what needs to be done:

TVIS 4A-GE 200BHP Project

You'll find it useful to look at the parts list first, the longest one is a couple pages in I think.

To get the most out of such big cams you should get an ECU remap, however these are notoriously bad to map so I would see about going the full nine yards and get a fully reprogrammable ECU like I am.

My project will take far longer seeing as I don't have a steady cash flow. :lol:

Hi mate, your like 15 or something arent you? i recall reading through that thread..... TBH i just want it to be quicker, and more fun... i dont really care about having high BHP for bragging rights! . just want realistic power thats fun. cheers

Fair enough then! Yeh I'm 16 now.

Well, some say you get up to 160BHP on big cams. I'd go for the standard bits, aftermarket filter, exhaust etc.

You won't need bigger injectors at this level. Refurbished though... that could be good if your's are giving you problems.

I have a set of good injectors for sale though. ;)

You could also help it by fitting a racing Head Gasket, I purchased a 0.8mm TRD Gasket which increases the Compression Ratio. Always helpful!

There are simple things like port matching which are cheap to do but take a lot of time and patience.

You will need a Remap though, however I don't know who could do it for you.

KP

yeah port matching is always good, just looking for peoples different views on the cams & spring setups reslly,, and flywheels, pulleys etc....

Right, the ideal setup im looking for, Is Cams & Springs, Twin 40 Carbs, Tubular manifold, Adjustable pulleys.

Problem im having is, how easy is it to ditch the ECU for the carb... I.E , Does it control the injection only, or does it control the ignition timing aswell?

Is it as simple as ditchin the map sensor & ECU, and just running the coil & dizzy, with carbs?

cheers

Valve Springs are only needed if you are revving to 9000RPM+ Otherwise it decreases performance as it's harder for the engine to compress them.

You can go for a Moly-Chrome Flywheel which is great for road use because it isn't too light like a Fidanza which lets the engine drop out of revs to easily yet is still lets it rev more happily when you put the right shoe down.

These guys do a lot of those bits like cams and the Flyheel: Tweak-It

You can also get a set of Cat Cams from FENSPORT. :thumbsup:

Right, the ideal setup im looking for, Is Cams & Springs, Twin 40 Carbs, Tubular manifold, Adjustable pulleys.

Problem im having is, how easy is it to ditch the ECU for the carb... I.E , Does it control the injection only, or does it control the ignition timing aswell?

Is it as simple as ditchin the map sensor & ECU, and just running the coil & dizzy, with carbs?

cheers

You will need a reprogrammable ECU to fit carbs. I'm going for a set of EFI Hardware, never seen any made to a better standard. £1250 and that means you need to get rid of TVIS. They sell them for both engines though.

That link I gave you will provide you with all of that stuff...

surely not if you have a real high lift cam, like 9mm... you would need the springs to be harder.

Yes it's a mixture of the high lift and RPM.

With 272's you will benefit from Springs, but as I have said you're wasting money without an after market ECU. If you go with carbs then you need that anyway.

on the 4age, what does the ECU control? as you just stated, with carbs, ill still need a mappable ecu...??

Yes you will need one. I'm getting the Haltech PS1000.

It controls ignition, and is hooked into pretty well everything. :lol:

Not sure exactly what it operates but I know you will need an ECU.

ive just been reading up on an old thread, The toyota 4age ECU needs 7 inputs, to change the timing & fuelling, but as im getting rid of the injection system, i wont need one...

Well that's it, people get carbs confused. I'm going for ITB's with their own fuel rail and injector ports.

I think that's what you're looking for as a Carburettor is bit of a downgrade... :P

carbs arent a downgrade.. ITB's are too expensive, whereas carbs, with a lairy cam & some sort of ignition advance chip would easily see 160.. Anyway, im looking for other peoples experienced opinions too

Fair enough, you're right they're not a downgrade, but I stand by that ITB's can be more finely tuned. But my knowledge doesn't seem to do it here so I'll leave you to it. :thumbsup:

Decided, i might just get cams, tubular manifold, vernier pulleys, lightened flywheel :)

its not the fact i dont want your opinion,

its that ive listened, and now id like an opinion off someone who has driven a number of these cars, who can give me their views, as apposed to views / projections from what you have learned on the internet...

cheers anyway tho mate, id just like more than 1 persons views :)

Fair enough dude.

Juts not too many people left here who do this sort of thing. There's AE_92, Dawesy.... and they're the only ones I know who do the 4A-GE....

Still, I hope you get the info you're looking for. :thumbsup:

yeah ive noticed there arent many haha...

Right, ive looked into the carbs, and the ignition needs some sort of advance, either MSD ignition module, or a retro fitted vac advance... For the moment, i am going to just get a stainless tubular manifold, cams (what profile?) , vernier pulleys, lightened flywheel, new clutch ( mine has gone) and lightened pulleys all round...

264 cams barely run on the standard ECU right? but they "do still work" .. dont they? i dont mind if the idle is abit funny, untill i can get proper mapping... 256's just seem, a waste of £350 .. the duration isnt that much really....