Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gear Changing

headhurts

I have the 2010 avensis and have now covered 1600 miles, as you may or may not know this has a 6 speed box and it seems to be getting easier to select gears as i do more miles.

1st gear does not like being engaged unless nearly at a stand still and it has to be fed in slowly whereas my wifes little Aygo has a superb gear box and it seems to be able to select 1st gear at any time.

Is my car likely to get better or is this a trait of the car?

it is not a big problem as being a diesel it will happily pull away in second.

any thoughts much appreciated.

regards, Robin

I have an early 2010 Avensis, and 1st- and reverse are sometimes difficult to engage.

Otherwise, the gear changing is very smooth.

Car has done 12.500 Kms, and I'll make a note for this at the first 15.000 Km inspection.

I have a 2007 T180, 67,000 miles on the clock.

My 1st gear is exactly the same!

thanks for the replies it is probably a trait of the car been out today in it and it was fine but that is probably me getting used to it as opposed to the gear change improving, it is by no means bad just not a patch on the wifes aygo.

I have the 2010 avensis and have now covered 1600 miles, as you may or may not know this has a 6 speed box and it seems to be getting easier to select gears as i do more miles.

1st gear does not like being engaged unless nearly at a stand still and it has to be fed in slowly whereas my wifes little Aygo has a superb gear box and it seems to be able to select 1st gear at any time.

Is my car likely to get better or is this a trait of the car?

it is not a big problem as being a diesel it will happily pull away in second.

any thoughts much appreciated.

regards, Robin

Has exactly the same problem with mine, its not a big problem but still a big deal if you iknow what i mean, besides its a key feature! Vuilt for comfort you dont want it to become awquad.

www.gatwickcarandvanrental.com

I found 1st gear a pain to engage when i first got my T180 tourer, i found best way to use it was to move the stick across to the passenger seat and forward got into the habit and never looked back first time each time now to engage 1st.thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the replies puts my mind at rest and i am getting used to 1st gear it needs feeding in as opposed to selected as in the wifes little aygo which seems to be much better, in her car you can select first whilst moving and approaching junctions with mine you have to be virtually at a standstill before putting into first.

I personally would never attempt to engage 1st whilst moving,I have a t-spirit and find it has the best gear box in all the cars I have had and believe me I have had some as the wife will tell you. :yahoo: