Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gearbox Swap

notlob

hi,i am thinking of putting a new gearbox in our 1999 rav 4 2.o petrol.

does anyone know if the box from an earlier year will fit.

all help will be most welcome. thanks

Cars from 94 to 2000 all had the 3sfe engine and I am fairly sure that they all sport the same box.

I had one box replaced on my number2 RAV a few months ago which i got from a 'pre-loved' parts dealer - no problems since and the engine is shoving 280bhp.

hi, thanks for your reply, i will try and find a box at a reasonable cost and fit it. hope it will cure its fault.

sorry - whats wrong with the original box?

hi,original fault. start engine depress clutch try to select 1st gear as normal will not go into gear,

push gearlever hard will select 1st gear.once car is moving all gears select ok inc reverse.

as soon as car moves even if only approx 1 mph all gears select ok.

switch engine off all gears select nice and smooth.

sometimes the selection of 1st is very bad, stop car reselect 1st for a secondtime time not as bad.

have had a new clutch fitted.cannot say if original clutch had fault as bought car with engine bent valves

while having engine fitted garage called and said original clutch was very close to rivits.

hope you can help.many thanks

uSE A LARGE SCREWDRIVER TO PRIZE THE FRONT PULLY BACKWARDS AND FORWARDS. iF THE THRUST BEARINGS ARE VERY WORN YOU CAN SHIFT THE CRANK FORWARD INSTEAD OF DEPRESSING THE CLUTCH. Just turn my caps lock off! I still think the clutch isn't clearing. Can you get second or third OK with the car stood still?

hi,push clutch pedal to floor,tried to select all gears with car stationary.

difficult to select all gears.

when selecting reverse car feels as though it moves a fraction.

when lifting the clutch pedal clutch bites just off the carpet.

as you say poss clutch not clearing.

the engine i had fitted was from a 1997/98 car with 58,000 miles on the clock

on cars in the past that i have come across with worn thrust washers

the engine usually tries to stall. many thanks

• 3 weeks later...

looking back at this, it would seem that the clutch is at fault..... the boxes were over-engineered. How did you get on - what was the final fix?

looking back at this, it would seem that the clutch is at fault..... the boxes were over-engineered. How did you get on - what was the final fix?

hi,i am bedding in the cluth for a couple of weeks,if still the same the garage that fitted the clutch will hopefuly fit a new one.

i would say that the gear selection is slighty better than it was,

the car has now developed a new fault.

when starting it today the radio came on at full volume,

the clock display goes dim then bright.

when starting this afternoon all was ok.

i hope no more faults develop,its the 1st toyota we have owned and despite the problems we are very pleased with it.

Get somebody to watch the slave cylinder and make sure it starts to move the moment you ease on the clutch pedal. If not then there is still air in it. If that is OK, check that the pedal is moving its full stroke. There will be a measurement but I don't have it. A good starting point would be the value for a 4.2 as shown in SDSs in the pinned section (around 170mm). There is usually a stop bolt above the pedal which if backed off will allow more stroke - the pedal will start higher up and while your at it, there should be a spring to pull the pedal right to the top. If that looks OK try to make sure that somebody hasn't already swapped the slave cylinder because if the bore is too large it will not give the full stroke. Something isn't right and trust me - if the clutch isn't bedded by now it never will be.

What you are getting is the same we would get if we only pushed the pedal part way - bad gear selection from a standstill. I hope there is nothing under the clutch pedal!!!????

Get somebody to watch the slave cylinder and make sure it starts to move the moment you ease on the clutch pedal. If not then there is still air in it. If that is OK, check that the pedal is moving its full stroke. There will be a measurement but I don't have it. A good starting point would be the value for a 4.2 as shown in SDSs in the pinned section (around 170mm). There is usually a stop bolt above the pedal which if backed off will allow more stroke - the pedal will start higher up and while your at it, there should be a spring to pull the pedal right to the top. If that looks OK try to make sure that somebody hasn't already swapped the slave cylinder because if the bore is too large it will not give the full stroke. Something isn't right and trust me - if the clutch isn't bedded by now it never will be.

What you are getting is the same we would get if we only pushed the pedal part way - bad gear selection from a standstill. I hope there is nothing under the clutch pedal!!!????

hi,all clear under clutch pedal.

over the weekend i will check the pedal travel & adjust if required.

the clutch has been bled 2 or 3 times now, but i will check the movement.

thanks for the advice.