Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Egr Valve

palmerino

To Palmerino.

Sorry for your troubles. Just read quickly through your postings & replies. You have a new/exchange engine fitted to car folowing engine letting go ? Has your recently fitted engine got a brand new EGR valve ? Also, i was under the impression that your injectors etc etc wheir encyrpted with a long code number on the top of each injector which would have to be re-programmed to the cars ECM behind glovebox. Did you not obtain the ECM unit from the car you got doner engine from. I had to have a brand new ECM fitted to my car after a month of use, fortunately covered by warranty. As stated by Parts-King, a rare fault, but it does happen. PM me if you like, if i can help, i will do my best.

Regards, Beagh.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• palmerino

• t-spiritpete

• scunnyavensis

• Thermal

To Palmerino.

Sorry for your troubles. Just read quickly through your postings & replies. You have a new/exchange engine fitted to car folowing engine letting go ? Has your recently fitted engine got a brand new EGR valve ? Also, i was under the impression that your injectors etc etc wheir encyrpted with a long code number on the top of each injector which would have to be re-programmed to the cars ECM behind glovebox. Did you not obtain the ECM unit from the car you got doner engine from. I had to have a brand new ECM fitted to my car after a month of use, fortunately covered by warranty. As stated by Parts-King, a rare fault, but it does happen. PM me if you like, if i can help, i will do my best.

Regards, Beagh.

Hi, Beagh!

Glad to hear from you again! They put the brand new EGR valve which I recently bought for my old engine, as the glow plugs which I changed December 2008. The injectors are from the new engine( reg 55, 72000miles) and the ECM as well as far I know ( a small black box with size 4x4 inches aprx). The mechanic kept and put the best parts from both engines and now I have even some spare in the boot.The car was going well for a day and after that went on limp mode, specially when cold. Once it is worm after I switch off and then back on the engine it may go normally but couple of times when worm after unsmooth acceleration ( when behind a slower car on traffic lights)the car was going again on limp mode. I was thinking about a wireing problem but could it play up? It may be something more serious. I did re-set the ECU once myself by disconnecting the Battery for a while- the light went off for half a mile and then came back on. What do you think? Most of the parts on the engine I have got now are from the new one and the others are brand new- timing belt and pullers, clutch, water pump, Egr valve, oils, filters...Could it be something out of the engine area?

Regards

Palmerino

Hi,

Today's very complex cars are designed in such a way, that if the Check Engine light comes up, one or more error codes are stored in the ECU.

The error code is the key to solving the problem...

What is (are) the error code(s)?

No error code equals guesswork, which is both inefficient and (very) expensive, because you may be replacing parts that are not defective or have nothing to do with the problem....

Hi,

Today's very complex cars are designed in such a way, that if the Check Engine light comes up, one or more error codes are stored in the ECU.

The error code is the key to solving the problem...

What is (are) the error code(s)?

No error code equals guesswork, which is both inefficient and (very) expensive, because you may be replacing parts that are not defective or have nothing to do with the problem....

Hi, Thermal!

The error code before and after the replacing the engine was: P0488- EGR valve, throttle body position, control/ range. It has beem read 6 times ( 5 before and 1 after) and all the times was the same.

Regards

Palmerino

That's a nice puzzle you have... which may be solved by elimination, if you're lucky.

The question is, what exactly was replaced, or in other words, what parts remained in the car.

Like sensors, wiring, ECMs/ECU/EGR etc.

One (or more-) of the parts that remained, or was re-used on the new engine, may have been faulty before the swap, in which case the error remains.

The trick is to determine which part(s) have been re-used with the new engine.

Only you can answer that question.

Actually, diagnosing this problem properly really requires the Toyota tester device and an occsiloscope to see what the ECM and EGR do (or don't), that lead to raising the P0488 error.

There are some strict timing windows in controlling the EGR and if not kept, the ECM simply raises P0488, writes a freeze frame, and forces limp mode.

There's no way you can detect such timing-malfunctions by the naked eye. :(

To Palmerino.

Getting a bit confused st my end, the black box you describe is not your ECM ie: engine control module, this is a metal bodied unit fitted behind your glovebox, looks like a computer hard drive, this unit cannot be cleared of fault codes by removing fuses (can be done on MK1 Avensis) even after removing fuse, codes are still stored in the ECM memory. Just to clarify, looking into your engine bay from the front of your car, your EGR valve is bolted to the rear right hand side of your cylinder head & is not connected to your inlet manifold. Technically you vehicle is not fitted with a throttle body as such, but the unit you are describing is attached to the inlet manifold at the front right of your engine. It has a switch on it called a potentiometer, toyota (denso part) will have another name for it. But if they have produced an error code for it, hopefully you are on the way to locating your problem.

Good luck, Beagh.

PS: It would appear that your mechanic has reset you injector paramaters to the vehicle ECM, quite simply so they can talk to each other. Keep us posted as to how you get on.

Thanks, guys!

The black box I have had replaced(and I was thinkig about) was the injector driver but as far I know the ECU(ECM) has not been changed- the old one remained in my car. Only the parts directly attached to the engine I had changed- EGR valve, glow plugs, throttle body from the other car (or whatever it calls + throttle switch), camshaft sensor and crankshaft sensor from the new engine as well injector drive and another part( I do not know its name) but it looks like a small T-pipe about 3 inches big and I think they mentioned it is something to do with the turbo( maybe turbo unit or turbo switch)+ some others but not ECU.

It looks like I have to take the car to Toyota either like it or not. They may be the only one to resolve the problem reading the codes.

Regards

Palmerino

...like it or not..

Yep!

That's the problem with modern cars.

There are certain things going on internally that you simply cannot judge by looking, listening or smelling... like in the old days. :o

That goes for the average DIY-er, but also for the mechanics.

That's why Toyota mechanics use the Toyota Intelligent Tester devices, not only for reading and clearing the error codes, but also to run numerous test programs for a variety of different problem areas.

For instance, in the case of a P0488 error, the tester will run a test program that sends commands directly to the ECM.

The ECM controls the EGR and the results of the tests can be seen on the tester device, plus instructions what to do next.

Eventually, the cause of the problem will be pinpointed.

Such tests can save a lot of time, for both the mechanic and the customer, and avoids replacing parts in the blind, that turn out to be not defective.

These testers go far beyond the capabilities of "Code readers" and the average DIY-er will not have such a device.

I hope your problem gets solved soon.

Thanks, Thermal! I will work on it to solve the problem ASAP, I mean Toyota mechanics will and keep you posted.

Regards

Palmerino

Hmmmm...i have the same issue. I have had the egr replaced under warranty but still get bad dead spots and high fuel consumption (35mpg). Yesterday whilst driving, the TRC OFF light came on, as did the VSC light at the same time and neither wil go off. I have been a toyota owner for 9 years now (original avensis, petrol 1.8 - never a problem and a celica 1.8vvti 140bhp again never a single problem). I bought the T180 so I could have performance and the economy of a diesel engine but I'm very frustrated at the moment. I've only had the car a month but a feeling very disillusioned with toyota now. Pity. The end of a long love-affair perhaps?

Hmmmm...i have the same issue. I have had the egr replaced under warranty but still get bad dead spots and high fuel consumption (35mpg). Yesterday whilst driving, the TRC OFF light came on, as did the VSC light at the same time and neither wil go off. I have been a toyota owner for 9 years now (original avensis, petrol 1.8 - never a problem and a celica 1.8vvti 140bhp again never a single problem). I bought the T180 so I could have performance and the economy of a diesel engine but I'm very frustrated at the moment. I've only had the car a month but a feeling very disillusioned with toyota now. Pity. The end of a long love-affair perhaps?

I presume it the EGR has been changed from Toyota. As Thermal says they have the abilities to read the codes and go beyond the local garages '' code reading'' sending numerous programms to find out what the problem is and to avoid making the customer paying for unecessary parts. I hope in your case it is not exactly like that, maybe it is the EGR valve and something else as well but I am loosing faith in Toyota garages and mechanics abilities as for so many times they failed to do it and it cost me a lot. But in my case it looks like I have to get in touch with them again as they seem to be the only one to help ( I hope so...)

Plamerino

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, again!

I have taken the car on Monday to Toyota for check. They looked at it for 2 days, I just picked it up this evening and they did not charge me at all for it. They said it is still the same code error comming: p0488 egr valve, throttle body position , control/range. They suggested this time it is definitely the INTAKE SHUTTER as T-spiritpete suggested before( thanks Pete). They will ring me tommorow to give me a price for the part and the labour.

I have got the diagram but just wondering if it is possible to dismantle this intake shatter by myself( is it easy) and clean it? Anybody knows if I could do that or I need a proffesional mechanic? Could it be cleaned and make it work again? Is it a matter of cleaning or it is mechanical problem? And where about it is- is it left from the Battery attached to the engine underneath the black pipework? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Palmerino

Of course!

Gaskets, cotter pins, self sealing nuts and O-rings are all non-reusable parts.

this is all news to me , so next question is where do i get these parts ??

from mr T?/

hello mate

the gasket packing is not reusable after dismantling -- so this one can be made of paronite or so + greased by copper slip grease (to prevent sticking at high temps) --it not worth to spend money for it. Cheers/Igor

Of course!

where do i get these??

Of course!

where do i get these??

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=114711&st=0&p=1064859&hl=egr%20valve%20cleaning&fromsearch=1entry1064859

Of course!

where do i get these??

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=114711&st=0&p=1064859&hl=egr%20valve%20cleaning&fromsearch=1entry1064859

igor why you give me link to another discussion forum???!!!

Of course!

where do i get these??

http://www.toyotaown...1

Maybe Igor is trying to be helpful to you.:yes:.

Of course!

where do i get these??

the matter of EGR valve cleaning has been negotiating a long ago - so you can try via search on the top just to type for avensis.

cheers

... where do i get these??

No offense, but the first place to look for Toyota parts is… your Toyota dealer.

Parts King, on this forum, offers genuine parts to forum members at a reduced price.

If you still find that too expensive, search the Internet shops.

Again no offense, but anyone courageous enough to disassemble parts of his/her car should have at least some basic technical knowledge and skills.

That cannot be learned from a forum.

The non-reusable parts such as mentioned earlier, are just that... they may only be used once, and will fail when re-used.

When a car fails after a "DIY job" in a sense that it refuses to start, is a lesser problem.

It may become a dangerous object when it fails while moving. :unsure:

Be carefull.

Hi, again!

I have taken the car on Monday to Toyota for check. They looked at it for 2 days, I just picked it up this evening and they did not charge me at all for it. They said it is still the same code error comming: p0488 egr valve, throttle body position , control/range. They suggested this time it is definitely the INTAKE SHUTTER as T-spiritpete suggested before( thanks Pete). They will ring me tommorow to give me a price for the part and the labour.

I have got the diagram but just wondering if it is possible to dismantle this intake shatter by myself( is it easy) and clean it? Anybody knows if I could do that or I need a proffesional mechanic? Could it be cleaned and make it work again? Is it a matter of cleaning or it is mechanical problem? And where about it is- is it left from the battery attached to the engine underneath the black pipework? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Palmerino

Anybody knows if the Intake shatter is dismantable and could be cleaned to sort out the problem or I have to buy a new one? Where is the exact location of it?

Thanks

Plamerino

Just had a look at this forum post and as you may have guessed if you search fault code p0488 I had exactly the same problem. Car would run fine for an hour then go into limp mode. I got the intake shutter valve replaced and the problem is sorted. Think it was more to do with an electronic fault than a mechanical fault in the sensor.

If you get the intake shutter valve replaced (if it looks mechanically sound) you'll be grand. I was just fortunate that the parts and labour were covered by the warranty I had when I bought the car.

Hope this helps.

Just had a look at this forum post and as you may have guessed if you search fault code p0488 I had exactly the same problem. Car would run fine for an hour then go into limp mode. I got the intake shutter valve replaced and the problem is sorted. Think it was more to do with an electronic fault than a mechanical fault in the sensor.

If you get the intake shutter valve replaced (if it looks mechanically sound) you'll be grand. I was just fortunate that the parts and labour were covered by the warranty I had when I bought the car.

Hope this helps.

Thank, Andrew!

I will phone tommorow Toyota to find out how much it is and see if I could replace it myself. I just hope it is this one.

Regards

Palmerino