Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Warning Lights On Dash Help Plz

bashman40

Hi guys I’ve had a problem with the Rav4 a few days ago some warnings came up on the dash saying “check ABS” , “check VSC” and “check brake system” had a friend plug the car into their diagnostics and it come up with these stored fault codes . The warning lights have gone off now but came on and off for a few days, they have seemed to have gone off now (before I had it plugged in).

C1223 fault in abs control system

C1241 to low or to high Battery voltage

C1249 open circuit in stop light switch

These are all from the braking side. Can someone make sense of these codes?

Will have a look what I've got and come back tomorrow.

Thats if the train brakes work!

Hi guys I’ve had a problem with the Rav4 a few days ago some warnings came up on the dash saying “check ABS” , “check VSC” and “check brake system” had a friend plug the car into their diagnostics and it come up with these stored fault codes . The warning lights as gone off now but came on and off for a few days, they have seemed to have gone off now (before I had it plugged in).

C1223 fault in abs control system

C1241 to low or to high battery voltage

C1249 open circuit in stop light switch

These are all from the braking side. Can someone make sense of these codes?

What happened exactly? I have looked through these fault codes and the all refer to a break in the electrical feed to the brake system - either with the power (ignition) on or off. You haven't bump started it or something similar?

How did the fault first show itself and can you remember anything unusual with the supply?

thank you for the reply. :thumbsup: i will have to check with my family memeber who was drivving it then and get back to you

the car has never been jump started. The fault first showed itself whilst normal local driving.

when you say "break in the electrical feed to the brake system" does that mean a break in the wiring or somthing? :unsure:

when you say "break in the electrical feed to the brake system" does that mean a break in the wiring or somthing? :unsure:

The ABS/VSC ECU is allegedly sensing its supply voltage (battery) below 9.5V under various conditions. (one example is with the vehicle moving for more than 10 seconds with low supply.)

C1249 refers to a fault in the stop light switch (used by the ECU), but that DTC might be a side-effect of the low supply voltage.

Harness connector to ABS/VSC ECU clean and in tight? Charging system OK? Stop light switch OK?

manual @ http://www.toyota-tech.eu/

Thanks for the input shcm i will get the alternator and Battery checked tomorrow, where is the ABS/VSC ECU? I’m guessing the brake switch is in the fuse box? Is there more than one brake switch or fuse box on theses rav4's? If so which one is it?

The ABS/VSC ECU is under the bonnet on the left, low down near the bulkhead. It has a load of brake lines going into it!

To be honest, the larger connectors on such ECUs usually have a good retension mechanism on them.

The stop lamp switch would be on the top of the brake pedal.

Just remember the DTCs are only an indicator where possibly to look for the fault. We can get loads of DTCs stored in the ECUs we design and the vehicle manufacturer will whine about them. We then very often point out that the ECU is doing exactly what it should (to their spec) and the problem lies with another ECU in the system not "playing nicely".

It might be a good idea in this instance to clear the codes. They may never come back.

• 3 weeks later...

been searching online and come across this link which has loads of useful pdf's they might help others?

http://share.qclt.com/%E4%B8%B0%E7%94%B0Toyota%20RAV4%20Repair%20Manual/

is there a Rav4 2006 manual available to download anywhere?

That link is to a 2006 Toyota repair manual for the US-spec RAV4. May not be much help for the UK-spec version.

• 2 months later...

Hi guy had the alternator and Battery checked and they are fine, also had the codes cleared but the warning lights have come back on so the fault codes are probably back.

Is there a way to test the break switch on the peddle?

I had this briefly the other day, jumped into car mid afternoon and set off straight away without letting car warm up, its only the once ive ever done it (so far!).

It was -6 deg and the same warnings came up, but then as soon as I dabbed on the brakes, all was fine and never been back since.

I did read on Rav4 World that Toyota Canada had a TSB on this, something to do with "cold soak?" (whatever that is) and driving away too quickly.

I had literally pressed and held the start button to start engine and drove off before the dash screen said it had went through and completed its start up checks.

Since then, I have pressed the start button once for dash to come alive, then started it after its done its checks and its been fine.

Could possibly relate to what schm said above, "one example is with the vehicle moving for more than 10 seconds with low supply".

Did your warnings come up after a "quick jump in and go" scenario?

• 3 years later...

Had the same problem with our Rav4. It was easy to fix and relatively cheap too !

The problem turned out to be the brake light switch. This is located right above the brake pedal. They sometimes stick or come out of alignment. Just change the switch and all your problems should be fixed.

• 2 weeks later...

I know this was originally an old post but i thought this information might help others in the future. I had exactly the same problem a few years ago and after taking the Rav to Mr T several times for code reading/ clearing and eventually the brake light switch changed several times I eventually found out what was causing the problem.

I have a T180 and each time it was returned from Mr T after the warning lights had come on again it was fine, however, as soon as I started my journey home the warning lights would come again. Eventually i found out it was only happening when the main headlights were coming on or switched on, Mr T had switched them to the off position during there testing so only when i needed them on again to go home in the dark caused the warning lights to come on again.

I then had a brain wave and recalled I had recently fitted a tow bar and full electrics to the Rav, all these being genuine Toyota parts including the wiring kit. I decides to have a look in the socket on the back only to find it full of water and with no drain holes evident. As soon as i had cleared the water out and had dried the connections I had no warning lights on at all even when the lights were switched on and off all was fine. After having a look at other tow bar electrics fitted to other vehicles all of them had a small drain cut out at the bottom of the socket so i decided to cut one in mine and to this date I have never had the warning lights come on again.

Also to be fare to Mr T I decided to let them know my findings expecting them to charge me for the work and time they had done so far but they said they would clear the faults for me and put this down to experience.

• 4 weeks later...

I had the same problem with the same warning lights and codes.

Took Rav to Toyota garage it turned out to be the brake switch unit situated above the brake pedal. Cost £140 to get it repaired but no trouble since with this issue.

To be sure does the cruise control operate correctly when the lights come on? The cruise control mode light would flash and you could not set the cruise control.

If you are into DIY the switch is easy to replace and is available on line. My toyota garage charges £95 per hour which is outrageous but without them you cannot make sense of the codes.