Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Small Problem...with Luggage Light In Boot Not Working

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

Hello Rolla Fans

Noticed the luggage light inside my boot doesnt work...now i know its a small problem but hey it does come in handy sometimes lol!

When you flick the switch nothing happens...i changed the bulb...nothing...i checked the wiring...it was plugged in fine...but also noticed there was another smaller plud with just 1 wire attatched that was unplugged so i connected it but it didnt make a difference...i checked the fuses behind the cubby but couldnt see a fuse just for this light...and everything else works fine!

Is this a common fault? Anyone elsed noticed this problem? Do kindly let me know...thanks

Regards...Sammy

Hello Rolla Fans

Noticed the luggage light inside my boot doesnt work...now i know its a small problem but hey it does come in handy sometimes lol!

When you flick the switch nothing happens...i changed the bulb...nothing...i checked the wiring...it was plugged in fine...but also noticed there was another smaller plud with just 1 wire attatched that was unplugged so i connected it but it didnt make a difference...i checked the fuses behind the cubby but couldnt see a fuse just for this light...and everything else works fine!

Is this a common fault? Anyone elsed noticed this problem? Do kindly let me know...thanks

Regards...Sammy

Twisting the bulb round in its holder can sometimes get them working, other than that you need to establish if there is a feed to the unit itself or ofcousre it may be a faulty switch Sam

Hello Rolla Fans

Regards...Sammy

Twisting the bulb round in its holder can sometimes get them working, other than that you need to establish if there is a feed to the unit itself or ofcousre it may be a faulty switch Sam

Hi...yup tried that...turned the bulb round n round but nothing...now how do i check if theres a feed to the unit? And why wouldnt there be? And i did think the switch maybe faulty but looking at it inside it seems to be touching fine! What a niggle...lol

Hey come on guys...any contributions to this tiny issue will be most appreciated...please???

There are only a few possibilities sam and require a bit of investigation with a multi meter rather than just a look.

Is there power to the switch?

Is the switch earth OK? Dont forget there is a switch for the lamp on the boot lock as well (switched off when the boot closes)

Is the bulb OK (yer it might be new but a duff bulb is possible)

Live feed and earth problems can occur at anytime, somebody with a multi meter will soon have it sorted I think

Kingo :thumbsup:

Hi,

Might find this diagram usefull, the lamp is turned on independantly by two switches, the boot lid switch and the lamp housing ON switch, both are switching ground to the bulb.

post-39036-128380735321_thumb.jpg

Thanks Rich n Parts king...didnt think about the switch on the boot lock...i'll check that tomorrow...could be the issue...But i need to clarify...sorry for being thick...

Where do i find the earth wires?

I do have a multimeter...but What do i set it to?

please let me know. Sammy

The best thing Sammy is to read a quick TUTORIAL on how to use a multi meter, it will give you an idea of what to check, if in doubt, consult an expert, they should be able to very quickly tell you where the problem lies. it is most likely a poor earth or a duff new bulb

Kingo :thumbsup:

Open the boot, and then check in the dials behind the steering wheel to see if the specific light indication is on. (the one that shows that the boot - or any door - is open).

If not, then the problem is in the boot lock.

It happened to a friend of mine and the boot lock was replaced by TOYOTA (dealer) within guarantee.

Will have a look at this my bootlight used to work but its just stopped. I tried the bootlid thing and my light came up on the dash as door open so im guessing its just the actual light. Will have a little look to see if i can find anything. I do remember mine used to work here and there.

I have also changed bulbs and that didnt help so will check it over again.

Will have a look at this my bootlight used to work but its just stopped. I tried the bootlid thing and my light came up on the dash as door open so im guessing its just the actual light. Will have a little look to see if i can find anything. I do remember mine used to work here and there.

Hi Farhanali89

If you do find out what the probelm is please do kindly let me know. My previos response asked me to measure the current which i did at the weekend and it read nearly 3.5v which is low for some reason, i cant see if it may be a fuse. goodluck. Sammy

Hi Farhanali89

If you do find out what the probelm is please do kindly let me know. My previos response asked me to measure the current which i did at the weekend and it read nearly 3.5v which is low for some reason, i cant see if it may be a fuse. goodluck. Sammy

ah ok will do, well thing is i noticed a bit of wet carpet which i have heard is quite common on our cars, It was only a bit damp on that side so i think maybe the water build up might have done something to that bootlight.

I have checked all my fuses and all are intact, Will have a double check tonight if i get a moment.

Hi Farhanali89

ah ok will do, well thing is i noticed a bit of wet carpet which i have heard is quite common on our cars, It was only a bit damp on that side so i think maybe the water build up might have done something to that bootlight.

I have checked all my fuses and all are intact, Will have a double check tonight if i get a moment.

HI Farhanali89

Sorry just saw your reply, wet carpet? I didnt know that was a common problem on our Corollas! I defo had that problem with my previous 2001 Toyota Avensis hatch and it was a nightmare...apparently a design fault they said...but my corolla is absolutely dry...i did think of that...it must be something simple...just hard making time for such a small fault hey lol! Takecare n keep in touch.

Sammy

Update, Managed to get my one working, I changed over the bulb a while back to an led one, from what i could see it wouldnt sit to well in its holder, I then found the original bulb and it sat alot better in the holder. Mine works fine now, the holder looks quite flimsy so the perfect fitting bulb was the solution for me. Even tho i measured the led one at the time of purchase it just didnt sit so well, i had to keep pusing both metal connectors together to get it working but when i switched the original one over it was perfectly fine.

I have a feeling your one is wiring related, Best i can suggest is run a multimeter on the wiring going to it to see if its live.

• 2 weeks later...

Update, Managed to get my one working, I changed over the bulb a while back to an led one, from what i could see it wouldnt sit to well in its holder, I then found the original bulb and it sat alot better in the holder. Mine works fine now, the holder looks quite flimsy so the perfect fitting bulb was the solution for me. Even tho i measured the led one at the time of purchase it just didnt sit so well, i had to keep pusing both metal connectors together to get it working but when i switched the original one over it was perfectly fine.

I have a feeling your one is wiring related, Best i can suggest is run a multimeter on the wiring going to it to see if its live.

HI

Just an update on this small matter...how weird is this...opened my boot yesterday evening to put a parcel in my boot...and i closed it again and thought...Heyyy did i just see the light on????...opened it again and hey presto it just decided to start working...i switched it off incase it drained the car Battery lol...so to conclude...if your likkle boot light stops working...give it time lol and be patient...

Sam