Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Xt5 Dvd/gps/audio 9004 Upgrade

davidisom

Hi, I have just fitted IPOD adpator to the above car with 9004 Head Unit. I was quite suprised to see that it does not read playlist and titles. Looking on the web (mainly ebay) there seem to be several direct replacements for this unit advertised that offer advanced features over the stadnrd head unit and the cost seem to be from £300-£600. Does anybody have any experience of any of these units or upgrades/swapouts?

Yeah but you are swapping out a perfectly good head unit. Go back into I tunes and rename the song with the title and artist and then leave it. You will get both in the display.

Yeah but you are swapping out a perfectly good head unit. Go back into I tunes and rename the song with the title and artist and then leave it. You will get both in the display.

So are you saying that once the playlists have ben read once by the head unit the next time they will read the artist and title track but to do this you have to edit them in itunes ? Can you explain further ?

I renamed the track the playlsit the artist but all I get is disc no and track no ?

Can you elaborate any further ?

From memory it only displays the track name. So if the track name is "Thriller" you have to go into i-tunes and rename the track "Thriller - Michael Jackson". If your display is not reading the info, scroll around to it with the "TEXT" button on your head unit. It will read "Thriller" and some of the name "Michael Jackson" up to the maximum amount of characters but if there is a small arrow pointing to the right you can display more available text by holding the "TEXT" button.

It isn't perfect but if you feel you need more info it is a way of getting the track and the artist. After a while you tend to ignore it anyway. If you change the head you will be looking at £200-300. Its a lot of money for a bit more track info.

Note - when you scroll with the TEXT button, it keeps scrolling around - folder, album, artist, track, time etc but you have wait a few seconds at each stage to display the associated text.

Anchs have you ever actually done this with the sat nav head unit or are you going by the one you had in old red?

It's been noted on here before (there are some old posts somewhere) that track names etc didn't appear to work with the B9004 and the Toyota ipod adapter.

The adapter is emulating a MD or CD changer, I believe. My guess (and only a guess) is the sat nav doesn't support CD text, which is probably how the adpater gets the text to the head unit. It's inferior to the standard unit in that respect, I suspect.

If anybody does have an ipod adapter that displays track info on the B9004, then I'm wrong, but I've not heard of one.

Cheers

It could be the track name - I can't remember but it displays at least one identifying feature of the track/song. I definitely changed some of the tracks in I tunes to show the track and the title in one sentence and therefor fooled the display. It was on the old red one as this one doesn't have the feature. I may fit a USB adapter soon!

Thanks for comments. I do not have a text button on my 9004 head unit (or atleast I have not seen it!) If there is one please tell me where to look. Thanks David

Oops - sorry - DISP!

Do not have a disp button? I think you must be talking aout a different head unit David

Oops - sorry - DISP!

Do not have a disp button? I think you must be talking aout a different head unit David

Have you got a display button!

Oops - sorry - DISP!

Only display button is a small round one which always brings up contrast brightness and screen off.

Oops - sorry - DISP!

Only display button is a small round one which always brings up contrast brightness and screen off.

Well wait for shcm. He will sort you out.

Well I would expect to display anything, you'll need the audio screen up - by pressing the "audio" button, but I suspect you knew that anyway.

It does a nice job of displaying mp3 tags from mp3s burned to an inserted cd (if I remember correctly), but as I said before, I'm not convinced it supports text from the ipod adapter, which is effectively an emulated cd(or md?) changer. If you check the "troubleshooting" section of the ipod adapter user manual, it also says to check with your dealer that your headunit supports CDtext - if you are having trouble displaying track info.

Anchs is referring the "standard" head unit that was in his previous RAV, which does support the function, but I'm not certain the sat nav (B9004) unit does support it (my feeling is it doesn't).

Well I would expect to display anything, you'll need the audio screen up - by pressing the "audio" button, but I suspect you knew that anyway.

It does a nice job of displaying mp3 tags from mp3s burned to an inserted cd (if I remember correctly), but as I said before, I'm not convinced it supports text from the ipod adapter, which is effectively an emulated cd(or md?) changer. If you check the "troubleshooting" section of the ipod adapter user manual, it also says to check with your dealer that your headunit supports CDtext - if you are having trouble displaying track info.

Anchs is referring the "standard" head unit that was in his previous RAV, which does support the function, but I'm not certain the sat nav (B9004) unit does support it (my feeling is it doesn't).

The one on my XT5 ( SatNav ) only gives track numbers. Can't find any way of making it do anything else. Not what you wanted to hear - sorry!

The one on my XT5 ( SatNav ) only gives track numbers. Can't find any way of making it do anything else. Not what you wanted to hear - sorry!

Thanks for the feedback. I have been researching other adaptors on the web and according to DICE electronics they have an adpator that they say will display and allow control via information on playlists albums and artists. Car Audio Secrurity have been offered one with a money back promise if it does not so have ordered. Will let you all know what happens. Alternativley I will consider replacing the head unit for a JVC one.

here is the manual http://www.diceelectronics.com/support/files/toyota_dice_gs.pdf

It could be the track name - I can't remember but it displays at least one identifying feature of the track/song. I definitely changed some of the tracks in I tunes to show the track and the title in one sentence and therefor fooled the display. It was on the old red one as this one doesn't have the feature. I may fit a USB adapter soon!

Hi, is there a USB adaptor on the market to fit B9004 4.3 ??

James. :ermm: