Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How Many Miles On Petrol Light

JDM baby

Hello guys, on my brothers girlfriends 1.0 Yaris, the last bar flashes to let her know she has roughly thirty miles left.

in my Ts it goes straight to the last bar, doesn't flash first, just goes lol.

How many miles are roughly left in the tank once there are no bars and just the petrol fill up sign are left?

Thanks!

I thought that they all flashed, when they dropped to the last bar with about 7 litres left - oh well, you learn something new every day....

The way to tell for sure is to wait until it gets down to that level and then fill up the tank and see how much it takes.

The "Mk1" Yaris had a 45 litre tank, so it it takes 40 litres to fill it, you know you had 5 litres left...

(But for anyone else reading this be caredul - the new Yaris from 2006 only had a 42 litre fuel tank, so you need to use the right value depending on your car model if you try this calculation...)

i did like extra 20 miles wen it said nothing... scary journey as i thought it wud cut off n pulled over the next petrol station i saw.

I fill up when the light comes on, which takes roughly 36/37 litres to fill up. So I should have 9 litres left. So after getting 370(ish) miles from 36 litres I should have 80(ish) miles left in the tank!

Don't want to try it though :)

I fill up when the light comes on, which takes roughly 36/37 litres to fill up. So I should have 9 litres left. So after getting 370(ish) miles from 36 litres I should have 80(ish) miles left in the tank!

I never ever let it get that low,

I'm afraid of any crud getting sucked in the line

I've done 50 miles in my Yaris after the warning light started flashing...

Yeah, that's why I fill up when the light comes on.

I believe there is no crud there to get sucked in as the fuel is being taken from the bottom of the tank all the time. Any crud will get pumped to the fuel filter. I constantly let mine down to the last bar and have had no problems ever.

• 1 month later...

I believe there is no crud there to get sucked in as the fuel is being taken from the bottom of the tank all the time. Any crud will get pumped to the fuel filter. I constantly let mine down to the last bar and have had no problems ever.

Thats what I say, anything that is big enough to cause any issue would already be at the bottom of the tank anyway, very little would be in suspension in the fuel. I think that this is a bit of a myth from the days when fuel tanks were metal and started to corrode and caused crud to be taken through the lines, they are now made of plastic, so I dont know where all this dirt people talk about is coming from.

The best way I would work out how much you have left is to get a jerry can with fuel in it, and then drive with the light on and note what mileage you get till the engine cuts. Maybe do it at night when the roads are quieter so it wont matter so much if you have to stop at the side of the road. This way you will have a pretty accurate measure of what you will get out of the tank once the light is on.

Give Toyota a ring and see if they can answer it for you. I don't recommend a field test! When my car gets down to one bar I can do thirty miles in it. Thats as much as I dare! When your fuel meter reads one bar just fill up! Don't risk running out of fuel completely as it is !Removed! stoopid and dangerous!

It will also depend on the roads you use and ambient temperatures. Warm day, flat roads, constant speed (around 56mph) will give the most miles. Stop start traffic, below 5 deg C outside will give a different result. You could see more than 20 miles difference from the same amount of fuel.

I was going to make a similar observation... To suggest doing it at night, on quieter roads would give an abnormally longer travelling value as you won't be stopping, starting, slowing speeding up like you would do normally.

You might think you got a nice 40-odd miles before the eventual run-dry, with the spare fuel to get you out of jail but if you rely on that, then have no back up, on a busy section of road, you may come unstuck. The brown smelly stuff will hit the shiney spinning thing leaving you up the proverbial canal with no visible means of propulsion! :censor:

On our 59 plate Yaris the fuel gauge is very cautious, you struggle to get 36 litres in after the light has been on for a few miles

In my Clio the opposite is true, the light had been on for 10 miles & the car took 56 litres yet Renault say it has only a 55 litre tank!!!