Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.3 Won't Start

ricarbo

Wondered if any of you good folk might be able to advise. I've got an automatic 1.3 petrol Yaris (2002) which i've had from new. it's done 40,000 miles. It's always started first or second go, until today! Now it it doesn't. The engine turns fine on the starter. I've checked all plugs fire by connecting each coil to an old plug laid on top of the engine, so it's not an ignition problem. I pulled off the fuel line and found fuel does not come out of it when the ignition is turned on, but does if the starter is operated. My Haynes manual says the pump will run for 2 or 3 seconds each time the ignition is turned on, but mine clearly doesn't. it also says you will hear the pump run each time you turn the ignition on, but i never have so am not convinced the manual is right. Any thoughts?

Ricarbo

Welcome to the forum. :)

Sounds like the manual could be right, maybe it is a fuel pump issue. If the plugs are sparking, the ignition system is fine.

Have you tried changing the plugs to new ones? It's a really easy job to do, 10mins.

Welcome to the forum. :)

Sounds like the manual could be right, maybe it is a fuel pump issue. If the plugs are sparking, the ignition system is fine.

Have you tried changing the plugs to new ones? It's a really easy job to do, 10mins.

Yes, i changed the plugs. the old ones had done 40,000 and the gaps had increased from the specified 1.1 mm to about 1.7 mm. the new plugs didn't help, but yesterday it started up fine and has been ok since. i think what may have happened is that it got flooded when the old plugs were too worn (although they weren't wet when i took them out). it didn't start with the new plugs which is why i posted and tried checking the fuel pump. i left it overnight and tried again and it just started up as normal! This morning i pulled off the fuel line again and turned the ignition on, but not the starter. the fuel pump did not start. i reconnected the fuel line and was able to start normally. so, it seems the Haynes manual is wrong when it says the ignition on starts the pump, at least for my Japanese built car. it occurs to me that this may be a safety feature in that if the car is crashed and the engine stops but the ignition is still on, the pump does not continue to pump fuel when the fuel line could be torn open. but i am speculating, just a thought.

40,000 miles is a hell of a lot of miles for standard plugs, no wonder it didn't want to start! :o

I change the plugs on mine every 5-10k when i do the oil & filter but that's just me.

Glad it's sorted now for you. ;)