Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Poor Acceleration And Extended Warranty Issues

GanGan

Hi everyone.

Took my 56 reg T180 in for its 2nd MOT today and also mentioned that I was having a problem with poor acceleration at low revs. Cause of the problem was diagnosed as the ERG valve stuck open with carbon deposits. I expected this to have been covered by the extended warranty but was surprised when the service adviser stated that she had approached the warranty people and they had rejected it stating that it wasn't a mechanical failure !

I didn't take too kindly to this as just a month earlier when it was serviced I mentioned a problem with the brakes, stating that the symptoms I was having were the same as a problem I had with them in January 09 when the front discs were warped and changed under warranty. This time they said the discs were heavily corroded and alas not covered by the warranty, they didn't check for to see if they were warped but said they would still not have been covered by the warranty.

I didn't have the discs changed deciding that if braking was good enough to satisfy the MOT a month later I would live with it for the time being. ( I am a Yorkshireman after all )

Anyway as you would expect I contested that if the ERG valve fault was not mechanical failure then what was it and pressed the service adviser to contact the warranty people again. This time they recommended she contact Toyota as the ERG valve is becoming a regular occurence, she is going to do this tomorrow.

Your valued comments would be appreciated.

By the way what and where is the ERG valve and what does it do?

Also it passed its MOT, hooray!!

Cheers Phil

Hi Phil,

the part in question is an EGR valve ( Exhaust Gas Recirculation ). It is right at the front of the engine and easy to clean out - which will almost certainly solve the problem. If you do a search on this site on "EGR Valve" you should come up with some of Anchormans ( I think!!!! ) instructions for doing the job.

ANCHORMAN - would it be possible to pin the instructions for this job in the Hints and Tips section? It seems to be a fairly common problem and I seem to remember some decent photos and a description of the work in a previous posting :thumbsup:

They are already done in the Auris section but I will put a link to it soon.

Phil - TGB tend to view EGR problems sympathetically. They usually honour a warranty fix up to 5 years or 100k but your dealer should be able to organise it. Our instructions for cleaning it are more of a preventative maintenance measure but it depends how mechanically minded you are. Keep us informed how you get on.

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=106241

They are already done in the Auris section but I will put a link to it soon.

Phil - TGB tend to view EGR problems sympathetically. They usually honour a warranty fix up to 5 years or 100k but your dealer should be able to organise it. Our instructions for cleaning it are more of a preventative maintenance measure but it depends how mechanically minded you are. Keep us informed how you get on.

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=106241

Hi guys, thanks for your assistance so far. Anchorman - having read some of your previous postings re: EGR valve, do I need to press for the modified EGR valve, a manifold change and an ECU update also ? Thanks

Update:

Dealer phoned this am said TGB gave go ahead to change the EGR valve. Booked it in for next week. I then mentioned the inlet manifold, the service adviser disappeared for a few seconds (to speak with the service manager I would expect)but returned with a negative response. I didn't pursue the matter as I don't know exactly where I stand, as at no point has there been any fault messages displayed. Does this have any bearing on my case?

Does a message have to be displayed for a fault code to be stored?

Cheers

The TSB (no I don't have it) says that they replace the EGR with a modified one and inspect the inlet manifold. If the inlet manifold is clogged they can remove it and clean it but sometimes they are so bad they can't be recovered.

I think given your position with the age of your motor you should count your blessings and leave it with them. They should use their initiative and do it by the book. You may find that they fit a new manifold but at least you will be getting a modified EGR which is the main thing :thumbsup:

It will have had a message displayed at the time of storing a code - if it ever did. It would have been 0400.

Ok Anchorman I'll bow to your obvious greater experience at this game and bite my tongue and stick with them doing the EGR valve. I just find it a tad galling having forked out for an extended warranty and then having to contest each problem.

Perhaps I was spoilt with my previous motor a '92 Carina E 2.0L GLI bought in '95 and passed on to another family member when I bought my T180 in Dec 08. It's still going strong having clocked 150,000 miles and the only major things needing to be done are a clutch, front shocker and a radiator!

Anyway I would just like to thank you and the other contributors for coming to my aid, It's good to know that there is a wealth of knowledge just at the other end of the laptop so to speak :thumbsup:

Ps I'm just getting to grips with this posting and replying game so apologies for any mistakes.

Cheers

Phil

Your posting is fine.

Don't be despondent with your car it is superb despite this glytch. The trouble with extended warranties is that they depend on something failing rather than something giving trouble.

However, I'm sure that these guys will do what is necessary to get your car up and running. :thumbsup:

Your posting is fine.

Don't be despondent with your car it is superb despite this glytch. The trouble with extended warranties is that they depend on something failing rather than something giving trouble.

However, I'm sure that these guys will do what is necessary to get your car up and running. :thumbsup:

I am plagued with EGR problems since the ECU was changed and the last "limp mode" was so !Removed! embarassing as I had passengers on board. If this valve can be blanked off and in doin so improve fuel consumption figures what the hell does it do? Also it seems to me the problem is the soot in the manifold, not the valve itself.

Bad design or over-complication methinks.........

Ron

Ron - we've got 2 EGR posts going here. Did you see the other one?

Ron - we've got 2 EGR posts going here. Did you see the other one?

And I also posted one with my old T180 BT20 name! The EGR seems to be the Achilles Heel of what is otherwise a decent car. The fact that there are so many posts about it on this forum plus the extended warranty on it says it all. Bad design and bad support.

Ron