Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Horn & Cigarette Lighter Lissue

essexrav83

All,

I have noticed that I do not have a working horn (i don't use it much, but went to use it this morning & nothing........) & also my cigarette lighter isn't working.

I have checked the fuse for the cigarette lighter....& all ok.....all fuses ok....

are they on the same circuit? I am gonna take a proper look tomorrow to see if it is as simple as wires come loose/pulled off etc, but does anyone know if they are on the same circuit hence both MIA, or is it coincidence?

cheers!

All,

I have noticed that I do not have a working horn (i don't use it much, but went to use it this morning & nothing........) & also my cigarette lighter isn't working.

I have checked the fuse for the cigarette lighter....& all ok.....all fuses ok....

are they on the same circuit? I am gonna take a proper look tomorrow to see if it is as simple as wires come loose/pulled off etc, but does anyone know if they are on the same circuit hence both MIA, or is it coincidence?

cheers!

the horn is up front - can be just seen from above..and placed behind front bumper to the left side (on mine) Could be bad connection. I did have a fault on 1 RAV where a 1p coin had got into the steering wheel in behind the airbag so the horn went off when turning slowly in car parks !! :lol: :lol:

It may be a fuse....did you check those underneath the dash?

All,

cheers!

the horn is up front - can be just seen from above..and placed behind front bumper to the left side (on mine) Could be bad connection. I did have a fault on 1 RAV where a 1p coin had got into the steering wheel in behind the airbag so the horn went off when turning slowly in car parks !! :lol: :lol:

It may be a fuse....did you check those underneath the dash?

all fuses checked & all good........so must be faulty connections........is there a secret to taking the steering wheel off without the airbag exploding in my face?

also, left side of steering wheel on the dash is a hole, looks like it could be an alternative ignition location.......any ideas what it is for?

all fuses checked & all good........so must be faulty connections........is there a secret to taking the steering wheel off without the airbag exploding in my face?

Get somone else to do it :rolleyes:

Disconnect the Battery and go have a cup of tea before removal of wheel

also, left side of steering wheel on the dash is a hole, looks like it could be an alternative ignition location.......any ideas what it is for?

Mice :unsure:

Maybe a towing indicator has been removed?

Davrav,

Thanks....

guessing the steering wheel is not much fun to play with then?

as said elsewhere, in past lives i have played with cars alot........but never touched Ravs....

may have a play tomorrow....& a mate of mine wants to see the car (full time motor mech!!! :thumbsup: )

Is there any sites anyone knows of to get replacement door cards/trims etc (aside from parts king & scrappys).........?

EDIT: don't want to upset ppl....just guessing that Parts King deals with mechanical, & newer Ravs but if he does do older Rav trim bits i will gladly talk to him.

Davrav,

Thanks....

guessing the steering wheel is not much fun to play with then?

as said elsewhere, in past lives i have played with cars alot........but never touched Ravs....

may have a play tomorrow....& a mate of mine wants to see the car (full time motor mech!!! :thumbsup: )

Is there any sites anyone knows of to get replacement door cards/trims etc (aside from parts king & scrappys).........?

EDIT: don't want to upset ppl....just guessing that Parts King deals with mechanical, & newer Ravs but if he does do older Rav trim bits i will gladly talk to him.

the early 1994 ravs had a mechanical airbag system on the steering wheel with no wires or wiring attached = not owt to do with Battery. You can disconnect the Battery anyway.

The bag comes off by unscrewing the location screw at the side of the steering column. I have a Momo wheel fitted now with a horn button.

Bothwell,

So if I remove the 2 shoulder covers of the steering wheel, I can remove the wheel in it's entirity without the airbag exploding?

Sounds good, but before going down this road, i will replace the horn unit & see fi that cures....the horn itself is quite a sorry looking soul.....bit rusty & dirty....& looks like it may only just about manage a mouse-like squeak if I did get it working.

Will hunt about for a replacement unit.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Bothwell,

So if I remove the 2 shoulder covers of the steering wheel, I can remove the wheel in it's entirity without the airbag exploding?

Sounds good, but before going down this road, i will replace the horn unit & see fi that cures....the horn itself is quite a sorry looking soul.....bit rusty & dirty....& looks like it may only just about manage a mouse-like squeak if I did get it working.

Will hunt about for a replacement unit.

Thanks

sorry for the sluggish reply - had a bad night a couple of days ago....

ye - the 2 plastic shrouds come off the steering column. I still have the old wheel with the airbag device lying separately (intact) on the garage floor. I wasn't to keen to put the thing back and so took the opportunity to fit a smaller 'square' wheel.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links