Do Not Sell My Personal Information

No Power To Dash For Cd Receiver

Quest

Good day all,

I'm new here so here goes. I just recently purchased a new deck for my Tazz. Unfortunately there is no power coming through the red and yellow cables in the dash, Tested using a multitester with the car switched off and on. I checked the radio fuse in the driver side kick panel as well as all the fuses next to the car Battery, but still no success. The previous owner had a deck in the car but removed it before they sold the car. It's also impossible to try to trace the wires I have no idea where they go to from the dash. Also everthing else tested fine (dash lights etc) Any ideas???

If I can't get the power right I'm willing to rewire / cut a new power line, how do I do this? Where do I take the line from? (The car Battery???)

Thanks for your assistance

Quest.

How has the guy that had it before you removed the last head unit? did he just cut the wires or was he using an ISO connecter?

If he left you with bare wires there is a chance that the live feed has shorted out and blown a fuse. Check every fuse. You should have a permanent live and a live that only has power when the ignitions on.

You should not have to run a new cable. But if you to I suggest running some #8 AWG direct from the Battery. don't forget to put a fuse within about 6" of the Battery. then just run the cable through the bulk head and up to the head unit.

Personally I would try and sort out the original wiring first and only do the above when you really have to.

sorry i couldn't be of more help.

How has the guy that had it before you removed the last head unit? did he just cut the wires or was he using an ISO connecter?

If he left you with bare wires there is a chance that the live feed has shorted out and blown a fuse. Check every fuse.

Thanks 4 your reply.

The guy that had the car before, cut the cable but insulated(spelling?) them properly.

I did run through the fuses and found one for the radio behind the driver side kick panel and it Tested fine(not blown). There was only one fuse labeled <Dome> in the fuse box under the hood next to the Battery that was blown. Is there any Line fuses or other fuse boxes I should be looking for?

Have you replaced the blown dome fuse?

on my old 91 celica i had blown the dome light fuse and lost power to the clock, headunit and interior lights.

:thumbsup:

Have you replaced the blown dome fuse?

I replaced the fuse with a 7.5 it usually uses a 10 but still nothing, I then checked the replaced 7.5 fuse and it was still fine(not blown after tests).

If I add a new power line for the cd receiver do I connect it to to yellow (bypass ignition)? What happens to the red (through ignition) cable?

Many thanks for your help.

No matter what you do both the perminant and the ignition powers from the headunit will need power.

If you run a new cable you can connect both powers from the head unit to the new cable and your head unit will work even if you turn the car off.

I cant think of any reason that you would want your headunit to be on 24/7. So the only other option is to run a cable from something that is only on when the ignition is on. (i.e. clock or cig lighter)

I think i am right in saying the yellow is the ignition and the red is the perminant live feed.

Just out of intrest what wires do you have sticking out where the head unit would be? also what car do you have?

So the only other option is to run a cable from something that is only on when the ignition is on. (i.e. clock or cig lighter)

Just out of intrest what wires do you have sticking out where the head unit would be? also what car do you have?

Thats exactly what I wanna do But how, where do I "cut and join"?

Theres 8 wires bundled together for the Speakers.

Theres 4 wires bundled together which are Yellow, Red, Black and White.

Then theres a 4 wire iso connector (no idea whats this for). The antenna is NOT automatic (standard)

2000 Toyota Tazz

Just find the lighter wires and test with a multimetre, then simply cut the live wire and strip both ends. Strip the end of you new ignition power lead and crimp one of the lighter wires and the ignition power in to a male bullet connector. Crimp the female bullet connector to the other lighter wire and push together.

No worries. i am always happy to help.

Note to self.

If quest turns up at a meet con a beer off him!

:beer::beer:

/Note to self.

:lol: :D :P

Actualy best not i in enough trouble cos of the beer already!