Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Check Your Oil Cooler

Avensis 1999

Hi All,

Just had a poke around under the bonnet, checking oil level, coolant etc, all was fine apart from when I looked at the engine oil cooler situated between the Radiator and bumper on the left hand side.

The lower left corner of the cooler seems to be weeping oil, not a prob I thought, as I can fit a new one myself, so I called Mr T for a price......... around £350 :eek:

So next call was Eurocarparts, who said it was a main dealer only part, no way am I paying for Mr T's ridiculously priced cooler.

Onto eBay, '7 Row Oil Cooler' £40 thats more like it :yahoo: You need to buy the correct fittings to join to the existing oil pipes, but a saving of approx £300.

Just one concern I have, is that on the original cooler the inlet is situated on the top, and the outlet is on the bottom or vice versa, the eBay oil cooler has both the inlet and outlet on top.

So does anyone know if this will affect the new cooler from working properly ??

Regards

Alan

When changing to another type of oil cooler you'll need to find if the following are compatible.

1. Volume or capacity.

2. Flow rate.

3. Heat disapation rate.

4. Operating pressure and temperature.

5. Is it a flow through type similar to the existing unit.

6. Will the modified connections diminish flow rate?

If all these aspects are compatible it should be OK but do remember any reduction in performance or reliabilty could lead to serious engine damage. Even though the exchange unit may look similar in size it is no gaurantee it will be as efficient.

Caveat Emptor - Buyer Beware:)

Hi James thanks for your reply.

I understand and agree with what your saying, but without knowing the specs of the original, I cant match up a new one. And im sure Mr T aint gonna give out the info either !!

From what I can gather they are gauged by how many Rows they have, together with width and height, in my case 7 Rows, although I have read other companies recommending 10 row coolers for engines under 2 litres. Other co's offer kits to install an oil cooler, which makes me think that dimensions and flow rates arent that critical, however by putting a bigger cooler on the car, could cause the oil to be cooled too much and vice versa.

I spoke to demon tweeks and the guy seemed to think that their replacement cooler would be ok for my car.

Surely a 7 row cooler with similar dimensions maybe slightly bigger than the original will do the same job.

Either way I aint paying stupid money for a part that can be bought for a lot less elsewhere, even a branded racing oil cooler works out at around £100, but £350 is simply taking the P**s.

Regards

alan

Welcome to the world of the Toyota parts pricing world.

Not very constructive I know, just a comment.