Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Low Fuel Warning Light And Battery Level

PatW

A few questions on my Gen 3 Prius which I've had for a couple of months.

- In the manual it says the low fuel warning light comes on when you have about 1 to 1.5 imp gallons left, which should be anough for at least 50 to 100 miles. The range computer however says only about 20 miles when the low fuel warning light comes on. Which should I believe?

- The Battery charge meter always stops charging at 2 bars below full. I have only seen in go up to 1 bar below full if I do heavy braking. I have never seen it get to completely full. Is this normal?

- Is anyone using the IPA regularly and usefully? I have just started reading the section in the manual on the IPA which is very long and detailed. Having read that, it all sounds very complicated and confusing. Maybe I'll have better luck just by trying it out in a quiet area?

cheers

The range meter errs very much on the conservative. Talk has it you can get nearly two gallons when it says 0 miles. I personally wouldn't chance it and you'll suck up crud from the tank if you run it too low.

The Battery charge meter 'mostly' stays two bars from the top but you can get it to go an extra bar up in town and going down a long hill will get it full. When it gets completely full strange things happen in that the car doesn't like being full so will try and get rid of the extra power as quickly as possible - usually means it will run upto 48 mph on electric only with rather quick acceleration. It is quite normal and the Battery has many many safety features to avoid damage.

Not got IPA so can't comment. From what I've heard you're best practicing on a quiet road to start with so you can set it up quickly when you do actually need to use it.

- In the manual it says the low fuel warning light comes on when you have about 1 to 1.5 imp gallons left, which should be anough for at least 50 to 100 miles. The range computer however says only about 20 miles when the low fuel warning light comes on. Which should I believe?

When the last pip starts to flash there is about 7 litres in the tank so depending on how fast you use it up, should easily last for 50 miles. You might even get 100. The miles to empty gauge is a rough guess and will get to zero long before the fuel has run out.

- The battery charge meter always stops charging at 2 bars below full. I have only seen in go up to 1 bar below full if I do heavy braking. I have never seen it get to completely full. Is this normal?

Yes it is normal. When it gets down to 2 bars, the petrol engine (ICE) will start up to recharge the HV Battery to protect it. It is possible to get the very top bar lit. Try going down a long steep hill with the brakes on. There are some ideal ones in Brighton.

- Is anyone using the IPA regularly and usefully? I have just started reading the section in the manual on the IPA which is very long and detailed. Having read that, it all sounds very complicated and confusing. Maybe I'll have better luck just by trying it out in a quiet area?

cheers

I don't have IPA. A long time ago, we were taught how to reverse/parallel park and all that so I don't really need it. :D

There is a you tube video about using the prius IPA. Will see if I can find the link.

Edit:

There seem to be lots!! Just google for Prius IPA video

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=&q=Prius+IPA+video

Edit:

This is the one I was thinking of.

http://priuschat.com/news/video-a-rundown-all-cool-things-intelligent-park-assist-can-do

- The battery charge meter always stops charging at 2 bars below full. I have only seen in go up to 1 bar below full if I do heavy braking. I have never seen it get to completely full. Is this normal?

cheers

On the "Low fuel" front, I'd suggest resetting the trip meter when "miles to empty" hits zero - then, as a safe working range, assume that you have 50 miles to go.

Can't really comment on the Battery bars - it just works by magic!

Re IPA - I had a play when I first got the car, and found that I needed a lot of time, and a big, well-marked parking space, so tended to write off the facility as a "fun toy".

Given a well-marked space, you can get away by just sticking the car in reverse and selecting the park icon on the display (i.e. it can manage to park the car without going through the rigmarole of measuring the width of the space first). The other thing is that it prefers to approach a space at 45degrees rather than simply reversing and doing a 90 degree turn,

More recently, I've started to persevere with the facility - pressing the "IPA" button to measure up the space etc. though this is something only to be done when you have plenty of time, and no-one on your tail! It actually does quite a good job (provided your expectations are low!)

I'm from the "old school" of always looking over my shoulder as I reverse, so it has taken nearly a year for me to start to rely just on the mirrors and rear camera (and I STILL look over my shoulder once or twice on the way just to stay safe!)

cheers

Just spent the last couple of days with the Battery level display active (I normally run with the 1-minute consumption histogram). I've had a "Full" Battery on quite a few occasions - but I think that is a characteristic of my daily drive... I have a 40 mile run at 60mph down A-roads. I think that if I were pottering around town, I'd never get a full Battery. The "Norm" for me is to be just 1 bar down when cruising. When crawling around carparks / parking on EV, then the ICE kicks in at about 2 bars left.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links