Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Horn Help

Melster

My horn doesn't work. I have tried to test the electrics to it but was surprised to find that the one and only wire to it appears to be an earth. So where does the 12v come from? By the way, the relay clicks when I press the horn button so I'm guessing it's a scuppered horn unit. I just wanted to rule out any wiring issue.

Any help please.

Mel

My horn doesn't work. I have tried to test the electrics to it but was surprised to find that the one and only wire to it appears to be an earth. So where does the 12v come from? By the way, the relay clicks when I press the horn button so I'm guessing it's a scuppered horn unit. I just wanted to rule out any wiring issue.

Any help please.

Mel

Hi Mel and welcome to the club.

As far as I am aware, the mount bracket is the earth and the single wire is the feed. If the horn is of the usual [feeble] disc type, it is possible that the diaphragm is rusted up [unless you are not getting 12v to the wire/terminal]

Alternatively it could be a poor earth at the bracket.

If you discover the horn is US, you can pick up a repalcement at a scrappy for pennies. Several of us with 4.3 RAVs have upgraded to the 'snail horn' type to avoid sounding like Roadrunner - beep beep :yes:

Ha HA Davrav thanks for the welcome and the reply. I love the 'roadrunner' reference.

Now I know auto electrics can be confusing, but when I put a tester between the one wire and earth it shows continuity when the horn button is pressed, thus suggesting that the wire goes to earth when I expected to see 12volts.

I'm very confused and will probably just try replacing the unit. (p.s. How the hell do you undo the bolt that secures it. It appears to be behind the grill, is that right?)

Regards

Mel

here's a photo where you can just see my replacements

RAV4021.jpg

The little red wire is spliced onto the horn wire as I couldn't be bothered removing the bumper. The airhorns sit in a wee gap next to the turret and have a shrill tone to them - LOUD !

when I put a tester between the one wire and earth it shows continuity when the horn button is pressed

Continuity? What have you got your meter set to? It should be DC volts and show 12V.

I too have the exact same. Everything "works" but no noise....rung round all local scrappiest and none have a rav of any year!!! Goes to show good build quality!!

All the same, I am still hornless. Anyone know of a site I can get a replacement or an easy after Market replacement?

Thanks

Mine came from temon deeks

Theres something in my memory that suggests that the horn switch is on the earth and not the feed.......

I too have the exact same. Everything "works" but no noise....rung round all local scrappiest and none have a rav of any year!!! Goes to show good build quality!!

All the same, I am still hornless. Anyone know of a site I can get a replacement or an easy after Market replacement?

Thanks

Pretty much any automotive 12V horn will do the job - it's just a case of finding one of a suitable size. The snail shaped 'air horns' are louder than the disc shaped diaphragm type. If you can get a pair [high and low tone] your horn will sound a lot more impressive. Mine came from a Rover or BMW from memory and cost something like £5 for the pair.

If they have two terminals it's just a case of grounding one and connecting the other to the existing horn wire. There is an excellent 'how to' for a 4.3 RAV by Anchorman, pinned in the 'TECHNICAL HINTS AND TIPS' at the top of the page.

Just find a location that doesn't allow the horn or bracket to touch the condenser or radiator as the fins are delicate.

If you want new ones [snail type] there are loads on e-bay.

EDIT

Just remembered that older diaphragm horns used to have an adjusting screw on the back for 'tuning' purposes. If there is one on yours you may be able to free up the mechanism. Personally I would just replace it though.

Dav, thanks. I will take a look tonight & see if the freeing off work until i can get back to the scrappy at the weekend....

Dav, thanks. I will take a look tonight & see if the freeing off work until i can get back to the scrappy at the weekend....

With the greatest of respect I wouldn't go trawling around a scrappy for a second hand horn (unless you want to )the basic horn can be had from most autoelectric suppliers for about £4..there are twin tone snail type horns of indiscriminate origins on eBay for £4-75p.. decent ones "ring" twintone with fitting kit are about £18 or less :thumbsup: Stew

If you only want another vibrating disc, pm me with your address and I'll post you one of the old ones off the red RAV. They weren't very old.

Guys,

trying to find a replacement horn around my area is a nightmare.....I can only find the big air horn sets which i don't want....

as for a vibrating disc, i didnt get a chance to try & free it off last night. will definately take a look tonight.

Thanks all for the info & suggestions.