Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Smoke From The Exhaust

PayDay

Lo all,

I have a question, I have a 02 Avensis and it can sometimes produce abit of smoke from the exhaust. I have checked the oil and it is abit black. In my last car the oil was abit more clear. Does this mean that the car would need an oil change or can I leave it until it until it gets its full service in 5 months time? :help:

I still can’t decide on changing the alloy on the car.

- What engine is it (and what's it's mileage)?

- What oil is it (and what's it's mileage)?

- Does the oil level drop?

- What does "sometimes" mean (any additional observations, especially when the smoke occurs)?

- What's the smoke's colour (if it is really different than usual concerning both the amount and appearance)?

5 months? I believe it depends on the mileage the car will cover within this period of time ;)

And it does not have to be the oil itself - "oil-smoke" (if that is the case) is AFAIK usually caused by some leakiness' in the engine's mechanics making the engine burn it's oil, so simply changing the oil won't help... Unless of course it's something completely different and has nothing to do with the oil, but IMHO without answering the above questions no advice except "go and have your car checked" will be reasonable.

- What engine is it (and what's it's mileage)?

2.0 VVT, 17,000miles

- What oil is it (and what's it's mileage)?

No idea on oil, what ever it came with.

- Does the oil level drop?

stays the same

- What does "sometimes" mean (any additional observations, especially when the smoke occurs)?

when first started, plus when car is ide at junctions and you pull away.

- What's the smoke's colour (if it is really different than usual concerning both the amount and appearance)?

Blue smoke

If you are not sure when the last service was, I suggest you do the 20,000 service now, especially if it's black!

If your oil level does not drop it's not serious. Does blue smoke only occur when engine is cold or only when warm?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links