Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo Gear Speed Is It Safe?

viper262

Maximum Gear speeds

1st: 30

2nd: 60

3rd: 85

4th: 98

I manage to 20mph before i chicken out and change to 2nd then i follow the table above but mainly im concerned about being in 2nd gear up to 60mph is this bad for the engine or not my freinds and other people have said its not good for the engine and it will wear it out eventually if i keep being in 2nd gear all the time what do the Aygo gurus of the forums think?

Should be ok but it just seems pointless since the aygo is mostly about fuel economy. I like the old blast from 20 to 65 in 2nd, its seems to pull well for 1.0. I wouldn't do it all the time though.

Maximum Gear speeds

1st: 30

2nd: 60

3rd: 85

4th: 98

I manage to 20mph before i chicken out and change to 2nd then i follow the table above but mainly im concerned about being in 2nd gear up to 60mph is this bad for the engine or not my freinds and other people have said its not good for the engine and it will wear it out eventually if i keep being in 2nd gear all the time what do the Aygo gurus of the forums think?

The Maximum Gear speeds quoted are just that MAXIMUM............Not TARGET!!! :rolleyes:

If you drive your car constantly at MAXIMUM revs for the roadspeed you will certainly cause premature wear and possibly terminal damage :o

As said above the Aygo is an economy car.............It is known to be quite a strong engine but will not stand the type of abuse that you are giving it! :eek:

Try to be more sympathetic to the needs of your car and it will not let you down...........Carry on like you have been and there will be trouble on the horizon! :eek:

I'm confused. Why would you want to stay in second? As has been stated, the Aygo is all about fuel economy, so the higher the gear you're in the more economically the car will run. If you 'blast' around everywhere in second you will inevitably use more petrol & wear the engine out quicker.

You need to change up a gear at 2,500 revs for good fuel economy :thumbsup:

Does the Aygo "Black" have a rev counter fitted? :unsure:

My shift pattern in my old Fiesta was something like 1->2 at 8-10mph, 3 at 20mph, 4 at 30mph and 5 at 40mph!

In my Yaris, it's more like 1->2 at 8mph, 3rd at 13mph, 4th at 20mph and 5th at 35mph (The joys of a torqueier engine :D), but the general rule of thumb in a normal car is shifting at 2000-2500rpm is the optimum. (This doesn't work in long-geared cars tho'!)

Obviously it will vary; You'd shift later going up hills or carrying a heavier load etc., but this is pretty basic stuff that anyone who'd had a driving lesson should know ;)

Change up at about 2500 revs - I normally go for 2nd at around 10 mph, 3rd at around 20, 4th at around 30, 5th at about 45. As a result I get around 58 MPG now. Waiting for 30 mph to change to 2nd is going to murder economy!! Green driving is apparently a standard part of the driving test now, so efficient gear changes are getting more important than ever. You see a lot of elderly people over-revving, and you definitely hear the result!! :yes:

viper, if you use your gears more efficiently, you're sure to see improvements in fuel economy. :)

1st to 15mph

2nd to 25mph

3rd to 35 mph

4th to 50 mph

5th thereafter

Works for me. It makes excellent use of the very flexible engine and gearbox combination and returns 45mpg round town.

1st to 15mph

2nd to 25mph

3rd to 35 mph

4th to 50 mph

5th thereafter

Works for me. It makes excellent use of the very flexible engine and gearbox combination and returns 45mpg round town.

On a straight road I’m in 5th at 35mph and 6th 40mph+

1st to 15mph

2nd to 25mph

3rd to 35 mph

4th to 50 mph

5th thereafter

On a straight road I’m in 5th at 35mph and 6th 40mph+

i usually go with (approx):

1st-0-10

2nd-10-15 or 20 depending on hill or flat

3rd-15/20-25/30 depending on hill or flat

4th-25/30-35/40 depending on hill or flat

5th 35/40+

6th dosen't exist on an aygo?

i usually go with (approx):

1st-0-10

2nd-10-15 or 20 depending on hill or flat

3rd-15/20-25/30 depending on hill or flat

4th-25/30-35/40 depending on hill or flat

5th 35/40+

^ Same for me.

sounds pretty much how I use our mmt when in manual mode....

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links