Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 2004 Bottom Rust Normal?

zollgut

I recently put down a deposit on a 2004 Rav4 2.0 Petrol. The car has under 40,000 miles which is good for a 6 year old car, and generally is in near new condition, both interior seats/carpets, and outside paintwork is in very good condition.

The only thing that bothered me was the bottom looked quite rusty (most of the metal underneath has gone a rusty shade). Is this normal for a car that age? Even if it's only been driven that little?

Is that a sign that the car has a short lifespan, or is there an easy (cheap) way to treat this..

Should I have another good look at this car before committing the rest of the way?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Welcome to the club.

They do seem to get a layer of surface rust which doesn't seem to affact them. I will show you aphoto taken from underneath my red 2006 model (or you can look at the oil change in the pinned section) for some comparisons - later!

I think light rust is common, when ever I am under the car I always finish off with a brush and a jam jar filled with Waxoyl.

http://www.hammerite-automotive.com/waxoyl.htm

Great stuff been using it ever since I owned a Fiat X19.

In those days cars were built of the same material they make Alka Seltzer tablets from.

Welcome to the club.

They do seem to get a layer of surface rust which doesn't seem to affact them. I will show you aphoto taken from underneath my red 2006 model (or you can look at the oil change in the pinned section) for some comparisons - later!

Thanks Anchorman, can you tell me where I can see your pics?

Thanks

Having spent a lifetime fighting rust, here is what I have to say about RAV 4

Mine is a 2002/2003 model. The underside was reasonably well treated but not strong enough to stand up to the grit & gravel & salt local council spread on the road. I don't think any car is.

Second every time you take the car to a garage for service, repair or wheel change, the lifting equipment chips the protection.

This is where rust starts as well as in welding spots.

4.2 is no better or worst than any good modern car for underside protection. It can use additional help from the owner.

The best method in my opinion is to do what I did:

Has mine treated with Dinol rust prevention fluid (light fluid to penetrate, protect and saturate/ stabilise existing corrosion) topped up with a top layer of heavier grade (tar like) coating which provides protection agains salt, water and stone chipping. It remains flexible even at below 0 temp.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links